stopping water freezing

BenBhoy

hello guys. it's approaching that time of year again where my biggest problem is stopping water troughs and supply pipes freezing up. last year was bad, but i hear this year going to be worse. wondering if anyone has any tips that really work? cant put any harmful chemical or salt in water as it is for sheep to drink. have tried floating balls in there and adding sugar, none are that effective. thanks in advance.

yes Rich, have taken the ice out last couple of years.

was talking to an old farmer, and he said (no good for me though) if you have housed cattle or equines then dig a pit under the water trough and make a manure pile under it, the heat generated from that will help.

Edited by BenBhoy

Ive got a Koi pond in the garden and over the years ive notice that when the winds up blowing cold air over the water it freezes so by placing garden wind break around the pond all freezing stopped ! so if you could place a wind break material around three side of the trough a possible problem might be solved for you ? give it a go as the cost to do 1 is minamal and think of the wind direction so as the wind break works. :rolleyes:

Ben Bhoy,

As I stated, the pipe itself shouldn't freeze if you keep the water moving.

The water never goes below 5 degress, so should never freeze until it hits the air ouside. If you go for say a litre a minute of flow, then you ought to be ok....

P

Should point out I work for the water board, that's why I know this ****....