Quality of cartridges for old gun

Hello all. I am completely new to shooting and therefore don't know very much! My question is about the quality of cartridges I should be using. I have an old 12 gauge hammergun, and what I want to know is whether or not higher quality cartridges are better for the life and preservation of the gun or not. I'm just shooting targets, the odd magpie etc. Are £7 a box cartridges going to be better for the gun than the ones at £4.50 or £5 a box? I want to spend as little as possible but I don't want cartridges that will cause more wear and tear on the gun. Or does the quality of cartridge have no bearing on this at all?

Any advice much appreciated.

I would get it checked by a gun smith as you have said your new to the sport and don't know much, plenty of choice cartridge wise but well worth getting checked for proof and chamber condition also that the hammers and springs sears etc are in good order and it's still tight on the face! Old hammer guns are lovely but well worth having checked :)

Again if it is nitro proofed try Lyalvale express special game fibre - 28 gm - 65mm 6 shot. These are designed for shotguns like this - very light on the shoulder. I have an Alexander Henry hammer gun built in 1878 and it loves them. :good:

These are very good and i've also got some paper cased Express which are loverly and even luvverly to shoot. The Express website is a pile of pooh though and doesn't even function with Google Chrome.