decoying on sugarbeet

karl h

Hi all anyone ever tried decoying over sugarbeet this time of year. last year i had a good couple of afternoons on my dads sugarbeet they were nipping at the leaves i guess for poss the moisture in them. Been keeping a close on the beet the pigeond have now started to build up nu bers so planning to give it a go over the next couple of weeks just wondered if anybody else had tried?

never tried it myself but i'd love to know how you get on, i live right near the sugar beet factory in suffolk and the fields are covered in the stuff round our way. never thought you could decoy over it though, as i say let us know how you do. cheers,

BM

Yeah have done well on sugarbeet tops but never thought about sugar beet growing in the ground when my old man said to me sort them pigeons out they are destroying the sugar beet I laughed then when to do bit of recon and there must of been about a gang of 200 on there pecking away. walked them off and you could see the damage they had been doing

Sounds like if it works there will be a few thousand acres of good shooting in Norfolk then :lol:

When i go to the Broads every year i pass FIELDS and FIELDS of the stuff as far as the eye can see :lol:

Gotta be at least a few thousand acres of it (poss more).

And that Cantley Sugar refinery (pheewwww :good: )

LG

I was in the Bury area today and drove the back roads to Glemsford, Hartest etc

lots of beet fields but nothing much on them.

Doing the other side of the A14 Bury Thurston etc tomorrow will check them out.

Brian

In spite of being in THE area where most of the beet is grown I've never (I know never say never) seen let alone shot pigeons on beet tops as they grow. Beet chips left on the field after the harvest is another matter. At the moment I have 1000's of acres of beet growing on my permissions but not one pigeon on it. Rabbits yes, deer yes but no pigeons. Mostly the birds are on set aside here at the moment.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi all anyone ever tried decoying over sugarbeet this time of year. last year i had a good couple of afternoons on my dads sugarbeet they were nipping at the leaves i guess for poss the moisture in them. Been keeping a close on the beet the pigeond have now started to build up nu bers so planning to give it a go over the next couple of weeks just wondered if anybody else had tried?

i know its a bit late karl but i have had some good afternoons sport last week with bags of 51 and 30 and 19 off a sugarbeet field just outside hereford regards stuy

Guys are the birds actually feeding on the stuff and are you sure its sugar beet? Are you decoying them onto it from a flightline that's going somewhere else? Is there soemthing else growing in the field that they're eating?

Most unusual to see more than the odd stray pigeon on sugar beet as it grows.

i know its a bit late karl but i have had some good afternoons sport last week with bags of 51 and 30 and 19 off a sugarbeet field just outside hereford regards stuy

yeah 100percent mate watched the field for 3 days before shooting it :D i know its a bit odd but they were feeding, maybe there was a bit more moisture in the leaves than on the other crops available, spoke to peter theobold about it that week i shot it ,it does happen on occasions . there are plenty of other farms i shoot on 2 miles from this particular field with sugar beet on no birds :drool: so just just goes to show our friend the woodie is always one step ahead stuy

hi guys went on my old mans sugar beet last night after work from 6 till half 8 had 43 pigeons for 65 shots well chuffed opened up a couple and they were crammed full of sugar beet leaves if you walk through the sugar beet you can see where they have been nipping at the leaves

is does seem that way round are way the closet pea field is about 15 mile away all they have to go on is setaside land but the sugarbeet will hold more moisture there are few on the clover but mainly on the sugarbeet. Its quite good cos They are there now and all most gaurantee they will be there agian when the sugarbeet are harvested but normally in a bigger number