.22 semi autos for hunting

flash

at the moment i have a CZ 511 .22 that i use for plinking at the range and am now starting to use it for rabbiting. it has a 3-9x40 scope on it and will br having a silencer put on soon. i have a bipod to use on it as wel. the question is wether they are god for hunting even with a supressor or wether you are better off with a bolt action. i was thinking that althoug it is surpessed the action makes a lot of noise when cycling the rounds. any views welcome.

cheers

flash

Two things:

1) Semis produce more noise, even moderated, because of the recoil/gas operated cocking mechanism. Things makes a little clunking noise every time.

2) It doesnt matter what action the gun is.. it matters if the gun is accurate, and in good, safe, working condition. If you can hit target accurately at varius ranges, you can hit bunnies the same :good:

All I would suggest is get a good sling fitted. This is vital for good safety practice, and practicality (not sure of my spelling there)

Good luck with it! no need to buy a new rifle if this works well for you.

P.S, I know plenty of semi auto rimfire hunters, and it seems to work fine for them.

it says subsonic on the barel but is safe to use supersonic. it wont cycle subsonics often so we use CCI mini mag which cycle fine and roduce godd groupings out to about 100 yrds, but i only shoot targets at that range. it easily puts 8 shots into a bunny head sized target at 60 yrds which is where it was zeroed before we got the new scope. i think we may try some other types of ammo to see which is best.

cheers

flash

When I used to shoot a 10/22, I used standard Eley subs, and it worked fine! but I am against the 10/22 because the silly things get dirty and jam too quickly. They need to be modified, and well looked after to really shine.

In all honesty, it is a nice set up. But im a bolt action fan..

I purchased a ruger 10/22 in january to sort some problems rabbits out and has worked fine. It cycles winchester subsonic 40g hollow points fine aswell as the equivalent in eley but i cant get a good group from cci's (havnt tryed supersonic). I probably get 1 or 2 jams in 150 shots. I have clearned the magazine twice since january, each after about 500 rounds so i think that is pretty good reliability. The action itself isnt what i would call loud but as hunter said you get a clunking noise. But if you stood more than 20 yards away you wouldnt here a thing with an SAK moderator on.

I dont think my ruger has had any modifications but works fine for me. As it is a semi auto i have been able to nock over a good group of rabbits fairly quickly as you dont have to make any kind of movement to alert them. But as i have never used a bolt action i cant compare them. :good:

its complicated, i chose it and i generally use it the most(under his supervision, i gave him the money to get it), but it is on his licence until i apply to get an FAC and hopefully be granted it, then it will be moved onto mine(if i get it). wy do du ask mark? :good:

cheers

flash

why would he be braking the law by letting me use it, when he is there supervising me, i hae insurance and it is being used on either bisley ranges or land we have been granted permission to shoot on with a rimfire.

please explain as i amy be missing something. :good:

cheers

flash

Works well for me. Ruger 10/22 12" barrel takes rabbits and hares out at 80-100 yards no problem.

Dave

i predict a riot!!! :good::lol:

so its your dads.this means he could be breaking the law letting you use it to shoot with.unless he owns the land you are on.

getting picky again i see !! how else can young folk learn :angry:? :lol:

Me thinks they are jelous of Flash owning a .22lr at his age :good:

Flash, give your FEO a quick ring and sort out your qeuries, as they will give you a genuine answer so you wont be on the wrong side of the law. Im sure its all fine though :welcomeani:

why would he be braking the law by letting me use it, when he is there supervising me, i hae insurance and it is being used on either bisley ranges or land we have been granted permission to shoot on with a rimfire.

please explain as i amy be missing something. :P

cheers

flash

As long as he is with you when using the .22rim then there is no problem :welcomeani::good:

How to Answer this discreetly ...............You never shoot that .22lr ,you watch your dad all the time and you thoroughly enjoy yourself :good:

Oh and you were making this thread up right :welcomeani:

On a serious note ..........You haven't been vetted therefore you are not allowed to use a FAC firearm under anybodys supervision .

Exceptions are when your a provisional(Training /full ) member of a rifle club or are invited to one of a rifle clubs named guest days and I think the Police are notified of these days in advance .............Or if your Dad happens to be Lord of the Manor .

Other than that Relax and keep watching and helping your Dad :P

Pm Dougy ..............He'll tell you what questions he was asked on the first visit by the FLO about experience gained

i am a member of the NRA if that helps and also the gibraltor barracks rifle club. :welcomeani:

cheers

flash

That will help but on Home office approved ranges only ........you've nowt to prove to me, anyone or likewise but FAC is a minefield .............On land where permission is granted to shoot Fac rifles you need to be Fac'd .FACT !.............There is no L-Plates to wear in this area unfortunately :good:

How to Answer this discreetly ...............You never shoot that .22lr ,you watch your dad all the time and you thoroughly enjoy yourself :good:

Oh and you were making this thread up right :welcomeani:

On a serious note ..........You haven't been vetted therefore you are not allowed to use a FAC firearm under anybodys supervision .

Exceptions are when your a provisional(Training /full ) member of a rifle club or are invited to one of a rifle clubs named guest days and I think the Police are notified of these days in advance .............Or if your Dad happens to be Lord of the Manor .

Other than that Relax and keep watching and helping your Dad :P

Pm Dougy ..............He'll tell you what questions he was asked on the first visit by the FLO about experience gained

life is so full off poo nowadays just be safe nad learn wot no one knows wont hurt anyone

You cant shoot running rabbits with a bolt action unless you are a brilliant shot but with a semi well its just fun. You start behind and the spurts of dust catch up until............... You just cant reload quick enough with a BA :welcomeani::good::P

Stick to the semi - I'd never have anything else.

Sorry Ive mate but ******** !!! :lol:

Someone who hasn't got a FAC can shoot under the supervision of the landowner or tenant or the person with the shooting rights.

Conversely someone with an FAC could be prosecuted for shooting a firearm that wasn't on their ticket. Even at a club, if the club hasn't got a particular calibre specified on the club ticket, a FAC holder is breaking the conditions of their cert by shooting one on club premises. And it goes further than just calibre. where pistol calibres are concerned say you have a .357 u/l and shoot someones .357 LBR. You may have the calibre on your ticket but not the type of firearm.

Whats all this **** about being vetted? :welcomeani::good::P

Flash, you're a member of the NRA - give them a ring and get hold of a HMSO publication (Firearms Law: Guidance to the police) That'll tell you anything you need to know. Its what FLO's twist to their advantage when they need to.

Dave

Sorry Ive mate but ******** !!! :lol:

Someone who hasn't got a FAC can shoot under the supervision of the landowner or tenant or the person with the shooting rights.

Conversely someone with an FAC could be prosecuted for shooting a firearm that wasn't on their ticket. Even at a club, if the club hasn't got a particular calibre specified on the club ticket, a FAC holder is breaking the conditions of their cert by shooting one on club premises. And it goes further than just calibre. where pistol calibres are concerned say you have a .357 u/l and shoot someones .357 LBR. You may have the calibre on your ticket but not the type of firearm.

Whats all this **** about being vetted? :welcomeani::good::P

Flash, you're a member of the NRA - give them a ring and get hold of a HMSO publication (Firearms Law: Guidance to the police) That'll tell you anything you need to know. Its what FLO's twist to their advantage when they need to.

Dave

I think :o you'll find that in a round about way we are both singing from the same hymn sheet old bean

How to Answer this discreetly ...............You never shoot that .22lr ,you watch your dad all the time and you thoroughly enjoy yourself :o

Oh and you were making this thread up right :lol:

Other than that Relax and keep watching and helping your Dad :(

What I'm trying to say is that if you get a politically correct FLO who won't or is'nt prepared to excercise common sense then you could land your FAC mates in hot water ..........

Which is why I advise young flash to contact my mate Dougy who only got his FAC back end of last year .

Owning your own land and being granted shooting rights are two different things where this matter is concerned .