Legal eagles? There after us help!!

utectok

Unfortunately some anglers who didn't renew there subs to the Angling association I chair are getting nasty. It's a long story but what documents can they legally see? I've sent minutes to mtgs and our constitution but they are asking to see membership roles and bank statements for 5 years. What documents are we required by law to disclose and what is the correct way they should be asked for ?? Should we wait for a court order for then or what? So far I've been handing over whatever he asks for but this is all going crazy.

I suppose I should say the members thought they could pay their subs late by agreement with the secretary but he died and never documented the agreement so they lapsed and now they think it's unfair.

Edited by utectok

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with the above, giving out the membership role could well be a breach of the data protection act. I would flat out refuse to produce any more documents without a court order. That alone could well see the problem go away.

To add, I can't see of any reason legally why they would need any of the info there asking for

Sorry hdav I'm confused I am representing the association as the chairman whom should I contact ???

Oh about £140 a year but they are going to go up

I should say they are members from England and local members are cheaper and fish more of course!

Edited by utectok

For the cost of the subs I highly doubt that they would foot at least double that for a court to even look at it. Unless there really prepared to be pedantic. I don't know what info should be made public by an association but logically thinking detailed information regarding accounts etc should only be made available for members? I don't know this for sure and I may be wrong so don't hold me to it :lol:

Edited by M.I.A

Have they got written agreement for late payment and why require it? they new it was due!

How many are asking and can they prove they have an agreement!

I would have thought they could only see minutes of meetings up to when their membership lapsed.

I would ignore it and ask them to reapply for membership.

Sorry hdav I'm confused I am representing the association as the chairman whom should I contact ???

Oh about £140 a year but they are going to go up

I should say they are members from England and local members are cheaper and fish more of course!

I mean arent you part of something similar to the BASC? http://www.fishlegal.net/page.asp?section=165&sectionTitle=Fish%20Legal%20-%20using%20the%20law%20to%20protect%20fisheries%20and%20angling or similar? DO you have insurance? Does that have legal cover?

What are the associations bye laws? rules etc?

Edited by HDAV

Yeah we do have insurance through SANA ( scottish angling something something !) I think we have legal cover too according to the new secretary.

As to the regulations of our type of association I don't know and I don't want to pay a solicitor to find out! Well Scot through and through! hence this post! ;)

Edited by utectok

well in that case

SANA can be contacted by emailing admin@sana.org.uk, calling 01577 861116 or writing to SANA Ltd, The National Game Angling Centre, The Pier, Loch Leven, Kinross, Scotland, KY13 8UF. The fax number is 01577 864769. Office hours are Mon-Fri 0900 - 1630.

http://www.sana.org.uk/insurance.html would be my first port of call for advice

Have they got written agreement for late payment and why require it? they new it was due!

How many are asking and can they prove they have an agreement!

I would have thought they could only see minutes of meetings up to when their membership lapsed.

I would ignore it and ask them to reapply for membership.

Yeah I did ask them to reapply.... Thing is these tickets for people out of the region are being discontinued as and when they become empty as we have to long a local waiting list. This all needs to be ratified by the agm in January though so they could apply now but it's pretty unlikely they will get tickets

well in that case

http://www.sana.org.uk/insurance.html would be my first port of call for advice

Thanks I'll do that ;)

How do u know the chap who passed away agreed this with them. Is it in writing. If they cant be botherd to pay up on time then you have to put the clubs finances first and set an example to everyone. Have a look at solicitors in your area usually there's some that do a free consultation once a week. Get some free advice and go from there. This association isn't anything to do with hightae mill lock by any chance is it. Been up to d & g a fee times. Lovely place and lovely fishing