pigeon decoying in may time

andy74

anytime of year is good for decoying if there's pigeons there. For me though may is still far to early as theres little food for them round here at the moment and what pigeons there are here arn't in enough numbers or feeding in one place regulary enough to shoot so i won't be doing any pigeon decoying to july or august when they start harvesting and i can decoy them over some stubble.

I've recently read a book by the famous Archie Coats and he used to take his holidays in April/May. He said there was too much stuff around for them to eat and they were too concerned with mating, so were harder to decoy consistently.

Having said that, I've seen groups of 20 or so feeding set aside on one of my permissions :angry:

P.

I had a walk round yesterday with the dog, no gun, and watched for half an hour or so as pigeons came in to a grass field with sheep in it. I think they were on the clover. No big flocks, one or two birds at a time, perfect. Will have a look tomorrow morning, and if they are still there, I'll give them a go.

I don't think theres much natural food about yet, so the clover and set-aside are probably the best bet. I have also had good days in May on the linseed, but sadly none of my consenting landowners are growing it thisyear.

Whilst over airgunning at a mates about a week back i witnessed flocks, little less than 100 in size, flighting from grass/clover fields surrounding winter cereal plants. I cant wait until harvesting when the flocks shoould be twice that size and it'll be time to stock up on the carts,

SS

Just my opinion this time of year there is little for the pigeon's to eat so if you do find where there feeding your likely to have a good few days on it. On farmers ground the pigeons have been down about 4 weeks now and had 3 good sessions on there. First one had 44 i think second one he had 83 and then saturday had 33.

It's not that there's nothing for them to eat but rather there's too much! Add that to the fact that they are all paired/pairing up and mating and finding Woody at this time of year ain't easy. If you do (find them) shooting can be good as they'll most likely come in ones, two's and small bunches.

It's so b***** wet around here at the moment they're mostly on clover, or anywhere they don't get their feet clogged with mud.

what's 'normal' where Woody is concerned :good: Either get up at the crack of sparrows (and even that's gonna bring on problems) or wait until mid afternoon. At this time of year it's not dark (here anyway) until 21.00 and Woody doesn't like to go to bed empty. So if they go to roost at say 19.00/20.00 they'll most likely be feeding up 'til then.