pigeons still on berries

brownshooter222

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hello guys.

As it was windy here yestoday i went out with my gun on a little piece of local ground i have been watching a few times over the last few days. it was along side a wood with no pheasent shoot with ivy berries and a few rotting acorns still. i had a nice afternoon and shot 29 pigeons and a magpie.

All the pigeons were still full of ivy berrires and the odd acorn. The rape on one farm this year is advanced and i have still not seen any pigeons on it yet. I also have another spot where they are hitting rape in the last few days but i still cannot shoot it until after jan. i hope they keep feeding there until then.

• 2 weeks later...

one i shot yesterday, crop full of small hard green berries, white inside of the berry when squeezed, any ideas?

Very same happened to me pal. The berries are the ones you find on ivy. A lot of the pigeons in my area roost in trees with thick ivy, and the lack of hawthorn sends them to eat them!

I've only shot 2 this year and there crops were stuffed with ivy berries. But that said I have very large flocks on the rape but one bang and there gone not be seen again!

seems to be waste of time at mo on the rape, we still doing ok on stubble, farmer just starting to plough it up now,after stubble gone i carnt see it being much good till spring drillings, hope im wrong tho :hmm:

I've only shot 2 this year and there crops were stuffed with ivy berries. But that said I have very large flocks on the rape but one bang and there gone not be seen again!

They say you should walk them off...then wait till they come back in smaller flocks...I know thats not how it always works tho...Not on the Rape down here yet...was out all day yesterday driving around a little further a field to where we normally go...No pigeons to be seen..As said before...prob in the woods eating ivy berries...They'll be back tho.