police called out

artschool

Over the years I have never had a problem with the law but this is because I always switch off my phone when out shooting so they can’t contact me and on a couple of occasions when a passing patrol car has seen the illuminator lamp and have stopped and operated their blue light and the two tone we have just submerged into the night. They don’t recon much to trouping across fields when you’ve driven off to another part of the estate and you could be a mile or so away.

why didn't I think of that! :oops:

I could have walked back to my house as my garden backs on to the land I shoot over:lol:

was out roost shooting tonight with tug and got a call from the farmer saying there was a report of "men with guns in the fields" :rolleyes:

told him where we were and he phoned the police back to confirm we had permission.

so after dusk we were walking back to the car and there is a police van parked next to it.

details were taken, we were told to always telephone in to let them know we are shooting.

and then the officer asked would it be ok if he had his picture taken with my 12g o/u :lol:

but they were polite and didn't waste our time so not too much of a hassle.

not sure I can be bothered calling in everytime surely they are going to come out anyway.

Hey Artschool.

me and my mate are looking for a Pigeon bash on the wirral (live in bromborough) do you know any land free or fancy getting together for a shoot. ?

unfortunately this all boils down to the general public having very little to no idea what goes on in the counrtyside. So they call the police out when they see someone with a gun. :rolleyes:

That to me is like calling the police cos I saw a car.

Last autumn (on the edge of dark) I was sub soiling a field near a busy road. There was a few piles of straw around which can block me subsoiler up, so as normal I set fire to them.

There must have been about 6 small piles of straw on fire. Needless to say the fire bridge turned up and shined there very bright lights into the field and they all started running around stamping out the fires.

I got out and told them I was not happy and they said people called them saying a field was on fire.

I just burned them next day in the daylight hours.

I can walk to my permission. When I first got it, I told someone that I would contact the police - just to let them know the route I'd take. I thought it would be helpful in case Joe Public phoned them in a panic. He advised me to ask BASC for advice - which I did. Their response was pretty much what other people have said here. You're doing something which is perfectly legal. If you tell the police, it can cause more trouble than it's worth. And, the police might come to expect and insist on it.

In the Spring, my wife got talking to someone out dog walking. She said that she was going to call the police because of "all this illegal shooting going on round here". Turns out she knew that the pheasant season had ended and assumed that meant shooting was illegal until the new season. People have no idea.

I can walk to my permission. When I first got it, I told someone that I would contact the police - just to let them know the route I'd take. I thought it would be helpful in case Joe Public phoned them in a panic. He advised me to ask BASC for advice - which I did. Their response was pretty much what other people have said here. You're doing something which is perfectly legal. If you tell the police, it can cause more trouble than it's worth. And, the police might come to expect and insist on it.

In the Spring, my wife got talking to someone out dog walking. She said that she was going to call the police because of "all this illegal shooting going on round here". Turns out she knew that the pheasant season had ended and assumed that meant shooting was illegal until the new season. People have no idea.

Yeah I've heard the old "illegal shooting" chestnut a few times from the joe public. :lol:

got to laugh really, but it becomes rather annoying when they say it like they know exactly what's happening and are off to 'sort it out' :no:

Hey Artschool.

me and my mate are looking for a Pigeon bash on the wirral (live in bromborough) do you know any land free or fancy getting together for a shoot. ?

afaik most of the land has people shooting on it round here, so no free land.

i normally don't decoy the land, just roost shoot.

i shoot a local golf course and after the first time the police turned up they took my mobile no and every time someone reports someone shooting on the golf course the police phone me first just to make sure its me thats out saves them time and me . But i must say i only ever phone farmers to tell them i am out or going out never the police

• 2 weeks later...

part of the problem is that if you accept the public dont know the law re shooting...... Police are members of the public too.

The training they get when they start is basic as to firearms and unless they become either FEO's or armed officers its unlikely they ever get any refresher training. and thats MORE than the person on the end of the phone gets!!!!

Dangerous un-necessary precedent that, only time I would ever phone them to say I was going about my lawful activies would be if I was shooting in a particularly sensitive area such as a school. :good:

FM

I'd stick to shooting in fields FM, not many pigeons in classrooms and you could get yourself into a whole world of trouble.

Merry Xmas mate.