police called out

artschool

was out roost shooting tonight with tug and got a call from the farmer saying there was a report of "men with guns in the fields" :rolleyes:

told him where we were and he phoned the police back to confirm we had permission.

so after dusk we were walking back to the car and there is a police van parked next to it.

details were taken, we were told to always telephone in to let them know we are shooting.

and then the officer asked would it be ok if he had his picture taken with my 12g o/u :lol:

but they were polite and didn't waste our time so not too much of a hassle.

not sure I can be bothered calling in everytime surely they are going to come out anyway.

Personally i wouldnt call them everytime i went out, it not required by law and if there was a report filed they would come out regardless

yeah the chap I was out shooting with said the same to the officer, but he didn't really have an answer.

I don't intend to, it's their business if they want to waste their time, I was in the middle of the farm with no houses nearby so it's not contentious.

I have always phoned but now Hampshire police take so long to put you through to someone who doesnt seem to know what the shooting log is, then ask endless questions including my date of birth, home address etc etc etc that I am seriously considerng not bothering in future, I feel like a criminal having given them so much personall information. I am all in favour of helping the police but feel its gone beond that now

Just make sure you have the farmers backing and you have got in down in writing and i always ask if its ok before just turning up cover your back at all times :good:

agree! I carry my written permission along with boundary map with me when I am out. I also send a text and wait for a reply before I head out as well.

last week when I returned to the car quite late after shooting rabbits with the rimfire there were two police officers waiting for me. First time I have ever been out and seeen any police officers. They were very polite and friendly but they did inspect the certificate thorougly even checking that the silencer was listed on the certificate. It was obvious by the questions they asked that they had already run checks on me via the registration number of the car. I did ask should I inform the police if I am out at night shooting and they said that this was not necessary (Norfolk).

Its a difficult one this - you want to help the police.

Like others I used to ring but they want to know almost what colour underwear you have on and if they had a simple system so you could just leave a message that wouldn't be a problem.

I now always ask to be put through to the 'control room' where they issue an incident number.

I leave my mobile no. and they ring me first if a local rings up about lights/shooting etc.

It will of course save time and police resources and make sure you never have the red dot and all that palaver but it does seem like shooters have less rights than others. On balance I am against providing this info, I would be all for it if it was simple quick and taken as a kindness instead of expecting it. Damned if you do and damned if you dont.

I now always ask to be put through to the 'control room' where they issue an incident number.

I dont mean to be rude here but does that mean every time you go out a firearms incident number is recorded? Surely when this is looked at from on high this means that your force will be seen to have a massive number of firearms related incidents?

I refuse point blank to call the police before I leave the house with guns. I have been deemed suitable and safe to have them therefore I have blanket permission to be in possesion of them. (according to other laws of course). I have also been deemed suitable to drive a car, I have a license for that too, should I call before I drive it?

If and when it becomes law that I phone to ask permission, I will, every day, whether I am taking the gun out or not, call a minimum of three times. If every member of the shooting community did this they would be recieving a million calls + per day. How long would it be before that good idea got scrapped?

Anyway Rant off..

I don’t ever ring up as if a member of the general public rings up they have to turn out regardless so why waste time and the cost of a phone call.

A friend of mine had a situation recently where an elderly lady saw him climbing over a gate to his land with a 22 rf in order to knock over a few rabbits and she rang the law. Later in the evening when he was at home his phone rang and they asked him if he was at home (really bright those officers, as it was his home no and it was he that had answered the phone). They were outside and wanted to know what he was doing going over the gate onto the land with a gun!! He told them that he owned the land and that the gun in question was his and on his cert and showed them all of this. They were polite but hadn’t got a clue as to the issues in all of this. They had checked out all of the relevant information of vehicle reg / firearms cert and land on the cert before they contacted him. So why waste their time and his?

Over the years I have never had a problem with the law but this is because I always switch off my phone when out shooting so they can’t contact me and on a couple of occasions when a passing patrol car has seen the illuminator lamp and have stopped and operated their blue light and the two tone we have just submerged into the night. They don’t recon much to trouping across fields when you’ve driven off to another part of the estate and you could be a mile or so away.