17HRM strikes again

Shotgunspud

Come on doc you've got proper rifles its not quite a beast. It works well on foxes and in perfect conditions will drop them at decent ranges but its not a regular 200 yard fox gun. No self respecting person should be pushing it as one as you will wound a decent percentage. All that said sometimes you do need to just shoot to protect gamebirds and livestock in this case nice shot but its not good for all and sundry to be using it at any fox they can see

I am moor then happy out to 200yards with my 17 in the right weather. It's not something to promote to new starters agreed but you no your own limits with your rifles.

post-10973-0-61757200-1322598813.jpg

2 more taken at the same sort of rang 175 yard and 197 yards both clean kills, but again i do practice alot at that range.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have been accused on another site of being sponsered by hmr lol. A great round for sure, I love it and use nothing else. To take these long range shots takes a lot of skill and a still night, if not still a lot of experience to read the wind or even breeze. Take the time to shoot at a target board with your hmr at ranges of 100, 150 and 200yds and see where your limit is, mine is a 100 on a good day but we are all different(once had three shots touching at a 100yds but was a one off!). This post is aimed at newcomers to the hmr, those that have one will already have done these simple tests and happy with their limits.

atvb Paul.

Good post Paul. HMR is NOT easy to use at 200yds.

I can vouch for spuds shooting, though generally CR*P he has had 1 or 2 lucky shots worth mentioning.

regards john :good:

:lol:

Edited by yds

Come on doc you've got proper rifles its not quite a beast. It works well on foxes and in perfect conditions will drop them at decent ranges but its not a regular 200 yard fox gun. No self respecting person should be pushing it as one as you will wound a decent percentage. All that said sometimes you do need to just shoot to protect gamebirds and livestock in this case nice shot but its not good for all and sundry to be using it at any fox they can see

Trouble is 90% of the foxes I shoot are when out rabbeting, also my most productive land would be to dangerous for the 6.5, before having an open licence the police only allowed it to be shot with a HMR.

I may be lucky but still have yet to have a runner with the 17, could just be good shot selection, but if I have a good shot with this rifle I will take it with confidence every time

Yes you did well at that range :good: hats off to you.

But !!! with the vast difference between one box of ammo to the next, to take shots at that range i would personaly like to check my zero after opening a different box due to the inconsistancy of RF ammunition.

The best i could do group wise is 3/4 at 100yds thats taken as a consistant group not the best ever 3 shot group but an average. At over 150yds my set up would not be consistantly accurate to take a shot on live quarry specialy a fox size target for a clean kill. I have other more appropriate tools for that job if needed.

Yes you did well at that range :good: hats off to you.

But !!! with the vast difference between one box of ammo to the next, to take shots at that range i would personaly like to check my zero after opening a different box due to the inconsistancy of RF ammunition.

The best i could do group wise is 3/4 at 100yds thats taken as a consistant group not the best ever 3 shot group but an average. At over 150yds my set up would not be consistantly accurate to take a shot on live quarry specialy a fox size target for a clean kill. I have other more appropriate tools for that job if needed.

[/quote

Thank you and I do understand your point.

But! I also have other Rifles for the job but have always found the 17 as good a tool at ranges I am happy to shoot out to for foxes.

I always check the zero on all my rifles before using them on live quarry for this very resin!

I do have 17 on my licence for fox due to some of the land I shoot over, and I practice often out at that ranges of 200yards, this would be the limit I would push a shot on a fox! but if I have shot a rabbit or a hair out at 200yards would people be questioning my shot??

I do fully understand what you are saying and agree with best part of it, and would not say buy a 17 guys and shoot foxes out to 200yards, but what I would say is 1, Do your home work on your rifle 2, Get your conference with your rifle and shoot what you are happy and confident shooting out to, that is with any calibre rifle.

SGS

That's mighty fine shooting. :good:

You obviously know your set up inside out,and if you have confidence in your ability to place a shot at that range,there's no reason why you shouldn't take the shot.

Thank you! I think what they are saying is in some parts right! but knowing what people think about foxing with the 17, I would like to try and change some of there minds! It is a fantastic tool in the right hands for foxes!

I will shoot around 2,000 rabbits a year and 100foxes with my rifle set ups and never will i take a shot i am not happy with or confer-dent in taking.

Thanks

SGS

For my 2 peneth worth, and having been a pro gamekeper for most of my life and now a stalker as well.

I know a thing or 2 about rifle, bullets and foxes.

Like spud and others I would never reach into my cabinet and reach for the HMR to go shoot a fox. EVER.

But if out rabbiting if you happen on a fox it is important to get a shot at it if conditions are correct.

The HMR will with a good shot kill foxes at long range.

IMHO it is no difference to having a go at a fox while on a game shoot when using a shotgun and 6's, far from ideal but foxes get shot and shot at all the time like this.

Even on a fox drive a fox will be salvoed at maybe 70yrds or so with 50 gr of big shot.

Again not ideal but it happens in the real world and foxes die which is a good thing.

Been a pest to landowners and folks with poultry in those areas ever effort should be taken to kill him if possible even if its on your limit.

Unless you try where is your limit??

Practice and conditions decide this.

and spud knew his.

STILL A LUCKY SHOT ALEX. LOL :good:

Keep knocking em down.

Edited by yds

For my 2 peneth worth, and having been a pro gamekeper for most of my life and now a stalker as well.

I know a thing or 2 about rifle, bullets and foxes.

Like spud and others I would never reach into my cabinet and reach for the HMR to go shoot a fox. EVER.

But if out rabbiting if you happen on a fox it is important to get a shot at it if conditions are correct.

The HMR will with a good shot kill foxes at long range.

IMHO it is no difference to having a go at a fox while on a game shoot when using a shotgun and 6's, far from ideal but foxes get shot and shot at all the time like this.

Even on a fox drive a fox will be salvoed at maybe 70yrds or so with 50 gr of big shot.

Again not ideal but it happens in the real world and foxes die which is a good thing.

Been a pest to landowners and folks with poultry in those areas ever effort should be taken to kill him if possible even if its on your limit.

Unless you try where is your limit??

Practice and conditions decide this.

and spud knew his.

STILL A LUCKY SHOT ALEX. LOL :good:

Keep knocking em down.

Again remind me why we are friends :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The chance to stalk and shoot CWD, munjac and reds. V quality roe and trips abroad.

A a mutual likeness of taking the urine out of weeman. :rolleyes:

Think we can put up with each other, eh? :good:

I would also like you to mention my ethics!!! and my top quality stalking!!!

And taking the urine out of Weeman is now one of my past times.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

But you will do for me mate!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

In fact this is by my bed side

post-10973-0-76712700-1322665129.jpg