DEER RIFLES.

Frank

DEER CALIBER CHOICES  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Scotland & England, Reds, fallow Sika, Roe, ect.

• 6.5 X 55
    • .25-06
    • 30-06
    • .22-250
    • Other

Right, for all those who stalk deer, which caliber would you choose?

Please give your reasons why and explain why you have chosen another caliber that is not listed.

I would be greatfull for everyone that votes, to put in a comment.

Cheers,

Frank.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have only ever used a 243 and have had no problems!

iv taken big fallows bucks and roe bucks out at 154 metres and never had a problem! i prefer to neck shot so a 100 grain bullet in the neck will take down most game! iv stalked big cornish reds with a 243, i never got the shot but had absolute confidence he would have been dropped.

younggun

6.5X55. Good long range callibre, no faffing around. Its what il go for when im ready :yes:

Plenty of reloading kit available too. And my Mentor is a keen 6.5 shooter.. should be able to learn a bit more about this from him, as he may bring his to the range on Wednesday.

6.5X55. Good long range callibre, no faffing around. Its what il go for when im ready :yes:

Plenty of reloading kit available too. And my Mentor is a keen 6.5 shooter.. should be able to learn a bit more about this from him, as he may bring his to the range on Wednesday.

i can only speak as i find mate i use 270 or 25 06 they shoot very flat and i,v had no problems with them but i use home loads a lot of my mates use 308 and they swear by them ithink u could discuss this subject all night danno

As recommended by my Stalking mentor as it was all he used, .270 for me, very happy with it, especially now she has a T8 fitted, it has turned her into a pussy cat.

A lot of people say a bit large for Roe, but using .130grain no problems.

But as i live in Scotland i can also use my .222, so i have a choice.

However, my ground has Roe & Sika, so it's the .270, my .222 is turning into my sole foxing rifle :yes:

6.5 for me as it will deal with all 6 species and on ticket for foxes as well.

However I predict the 25-06 will the next 6.5x55, in other words, it is seen as bit wierd, but in a few years time everyone will be shooting them (especially as more and more stalkers are using mods)

I bought my 6.5 3 or 4 years ago and I couldn't find a dealer anywhere near me that had one, they told me I was mad and I should have applied for a 243 :yes: now if I asked them if they had a 25-06, they would say "what the hell do you want one those, you should get yourself a 6.5"

What comes arround goes arround as they say.

The most experienced stalker I know has half a dozen deer legal rifles and only ever takes his 25-06 out on the hills these days, for Red's and foxes - so when it happens you can say you heard it here first :good:

Not hijacking your poll Frank,

Funny you should say that Stu, but in the last couple of years my mentor switched to a 25-06, Sako fin light, but he is 70, i think the .270 was getting a bit much for him

The 25-06 was first introduced in 1920, and went under the name 25 niedner, but not until 1969 did remmington offer the 700 chambered for a standard 25-06 :yes: So it has been around for a while

I use a .308W (125 grains sako for roe). Mainly because i can shoot any game with the 308 like wildboar, deer, roedeer, fallow, muntjac, fox .... with it. The .243 is a good roecaliber, but bit underpowered for the bigger boar and deer. (at least that is what i think :good: )

So an allrounder the 308, where i shoot you never know what you get in front of you, so a bit cumbersome to carry two caliber guns with you :yes: .

Great response so far everyone :o

Thanks very much, keep it coming if you can ;)

Looks like the 6.5 is getting a good response, my next caliber ;) If all goes well :good::yes:

Stuart, i know exactly what you mean about folks telling me what to get ect. Most seem to be .243 mad over here, but the wise few know from experience that the 6.5 brings all deer down without a fuss. ;)

As for choice of make, im not too sure on this one yet :huh: , plenty of time to think about it.

Its between CZ :huh: , Browning, Tikka and Mauser. :lol:

The Mauser looks good? Link below:

http://www.mauserwaffen.de/index.php?id=27&lang=en

Frank.

Great response so far everyone :o

Thanks very much, keep it coming if you can ;)

Looks like the 6.5 is getting a good response, my next caliber ;) If all goes well :good::yes:

Stuart, i know exactly what you mean about folks telling me what to get ect. Most seem to be .243 mad over here, but the wise few know from experience that the 6.5 brings all deer down without a fuss. ;)

As for choice of make, im not too sure on this one yet :huh: , plenty of time to think about it.

Its between CZ :huh: , Browning, Tikka and Mauser. :lol:

The Mauser looks good? Link below:

http://www.mauserwaffen.de/index.php?id=27&lang=en

Frank.

You know you want to .............Keep with a Wooden stock that is ;)

I have a wooden stock right now. It's ok but if i would have to be a new (other) gun i would buy a synthetic stock. Wood is a natural material so it works when it's raining, cold, warm, damp etc... So your barrel will have some movement as well. Can influence your shooting, depens when you where zeroing your gun. Not by much but it does have some effect.

No worries with synthetic.