large calibre rifles

digger

just interested if any one has fired one of the large bore big game rifles ? ive never fired anything above a .270. some of the side by side nitro express rifles look like they would kick like a mule.i read a report ages ago where a chap was using one and prayed he wouldnt have to use the second shot :yes:

Guest john5
just interested if any one has fired one of the large bore big game rifles ? ive never fired anything above a .270. some of the side by side nitro express rifles look like they would kick like a mule.i read a report ages ago where a chap was using one and prayed he wouldnt have to use the second shot :oops:

i have used a double 8 bore rifle, it has 20 inch barrels,.and i have no wish to ever use it again

The largest that i have shot is the .340 wetherby magnum. Standing shooting was not bad at all but i wouldn't want to shoot it prone :yes:

I have shot most of the larger game calibres .....7mm rem mag, 30-06, .30-06 ackley improved .25-06, 7x57, .308, .257 roberts improved, .270, 7x64, 7mm 08, 300 win magnum and a few more besides

I think it was a rifle that was similar to the Martini Henry MKI :unsure:It was an old colonial rifle anyway .................... What I do know was that it fired a 440 grn projectile .... :huh:

......Imagine the scene ,Rifle range ,concrete back and sides ,Steel canopy overhead and me freestanding with no hear protection ,pulled the trigger then BOOM :/:lol::huh::lol: :o ;);););):/;):yes::good:

Full respect to them Red Coats :yp:

I think it was a rifle that was similar to the Martini Henry MKI :unsure:It was an old colonial rifle anyway .................... What I do know was that it fired a 440 grn projectile .... :huh:

......Imagine the scene ,Rifle range ,concrete back and sides ,Steel canopy overhead and me freestanding with no hear protection ,pulled the trigger then BOOM :yp: :o :huh::lol: :o ;);););):/;):yes::good:

Full respect to them Red Coats :/

:/ :yp: :yp: :yp: :lol:

Never actually fired any of the big bore rifles but I regularly use some of the top end mediums when hunting in South Africa.

I found that if a rifle fit you well the recoil usualy would not be a problem. My favourate and most used hunting rifle is a 9.3x62 Mauser 98 and I have used it on even small game of Roe size to good effect. When my wife first used it she weighed 50 kg and liked it so much that she would not stop until all cartiges were spent! And there were about 35 left.

The biggest i've shot was the 458Lott but it did not have as much recoil as the 416Rigby.

The most uncomfortable rifles I've used was the 270Win and with the 30-06 a close second. I think that was mostly due to the rifles not fitting me well. I also could not find any advantages to using them over the milder 308Win.

Also used some old blackpower larger bores .577 and .72 and they are great.