.22 WMR Advice

SilentKill

Cant seem to find much on the WMR.

I have a slot to fill on my FAC, thought it would be handy for windier nights when my HMR would be less affective.

So i was looking at a Ruger MK77/22.

How effective are they moderated? and for use on Fox.

What should i be looking to pay for one second hand?

Edited by SilentKill

I have a slot to fill on my FAC, thought it would be handy for windier nights when my HMR would be less affective.

I had that exact model and calibre.

I wouldn't bother moderating it. I did and it was a waste of time.

Expect to pay in and around 400 for one, that's what I solf my all-weather for. But it had a volquartsen sear, target crown and cheap scope

There is a very nice one in the Sportsman in Exeter. They are not making any excess profit on it. It has not had a great deal of use which is reflected by its superb condition. It comes complete with Ruger scope rings (stainless, the rifle is stainless/laminated) and, hopefully, the moderator. It will also have its manual once I get it up there!!! The down side is is that it prefers RWS rounds. These are the most pokey on the market but, sadly, the most expensive by a Devon mile: Fine if you don't use it too often.

I think the chosen moderator could have been better. Price is something like £425. Possibly a bit steep, I know not, but the condition is guaranteed.

Oh, I have no pecuniary interest in this and am telling it as it is.

As I am telling it as it is, if it was me, I'd do a one for one and go for a hornet which explains why this one is for sale - it wasn't traded in, just sold to them.

Although no lover of the HMR the WMR is actually no better on wind, indeed the figures are worse. What you do get is improved terminals. Seriously consider the Hornet before you take the leap it will be better on wind, will kill foxes no issue and will also harvest bunnies and moderates very well

As others have said, go for the hornet,I had a wmr,and found it an excellent calibre,BUT,completely overshadowed by the hornet,ammo is around the same cost(if you re-load) :good:

Alan :)

I'll be honest i'm not looking at re loading so thats why it appealed to me, i do have a .223 for a dedicated Foxing Rifle so i just fancied something in-between that wasn't another 10/22 (Which i already own)

:good:

I'll be honest i'm not looking at re loading so thats why it appealed to me, i do have a .223 for a dedicated Foxing Rifle so i just fancied something in-between that wasn't another 10/22 (Which i already own)

:good:

In which case the WMR is probably the best option. Contradictory as it may seem, Kent is right, it is iffy in the wind, more so than the HMR. However, there is grunt out to 100 yards and a little further if you spend a bit (well quite a bit actually) more and try the RWS. The best option though, as is often the case, for this calibre is the most accurate round.

For it's size it is a brill round, some of the shots my friend made with his Mauser years ago were amazing. I have seen scores of fox's taken with it too.

He prefered the old CCI+V round but tried what ever he could get his hands on including FMJ to which he made a simple die and filed the tip of to get and it did better terminal performance!

The RWS rounds are excellent.

Some folk even pull the factory heads and reload to their own spec's in the states! 25auto shell holder does the trick but I forget what die :look:

The old federal 50 grain thumper was flat to 75yards but did not expand much.

Cracking round that refuses to die, the Canadians and Inuits love it.

I only ever owned one, long story, I am tempted all the time to get a 9422M, stop it,slap, harrr thats better!

U.

I've got a 22WMR CZ I use 30grain hornady in mine

On my first little foray with it I did 16 rabbits and a decent fox...

I'd say out to 70-80 yards it's a nice little fox round and great on rabbits...any further than that I'd go 223.

It's also accounted for loads of crows and magpies...

How come? your not the first to say this? i know the rounds properties but the Mod on my HMR makes a difference?

Ta

The difference is tiny.

It wont stop it scaring rabbits away.

You're just adding weight, expense and ruining the balance of the rifle. Also if shooting from the truck it makes the rifle long and awkward...

I had a mod on my WMR for a total of 1 day.