Motorola Defy - Opinions?

njc110381

Hey guys. I phoned Orange last night to see if I could change my service plan and it turns out my contract had expired. It's not often someone says "you can do what you like sir" when you ring these people so I have to admit they had me a bit off guard at this point!

I had a chat through my options and decided I'd like to try this new fangled smart phone thingy! At the moment I have a Land Rover phone so as you can imagine although this new thing isn't running the newest system, it does offer me what I want - basic internet access - and a lot more than my current phone for less money. But it's still IP67 rated so can be dunked in water or dropped..... Apparently? :hmm:

Now, my question to you all is this.... Is it a decent phone? I know there are better operating systems out there (it's running Android 2.1) but it's also able to take knock which is as if not more important than being the fastest internet browser out there. I don't know of any rugged phones out there with a better spec. It also has Google maps - saves me getting lost!

I'm going to be paying £28 per month for 450 minutes, 250 texts and 800mb of browsing. Is that good or bad as I'm a complete tech numpty?! The guy on the phone recons that unless I get myself on Youtube or I-Player ??? for half the day I'm not going to use that much downloadyness, and my current average usage is comfortably under both the text and calls limit, although not by miles.

Edited by njc110381

Have a look at giffgaff mate...it is sim only for for £10 a month you will get 250min, free calls to other giffgaff and unlimited texts and data.

If you want a contract in order to get the handset do a search on the defy - I seem to remember it was on watchdog as basically, if you drop it like on the advert, it will break and the screen will crack. It appears it is not as tough as they make out. My suggestion would be to get something better like an iPhone or a new HTC running the latest android OS and then stick it in an otterbox defender case which will protect it if you drop it.

Anthony

Edited by oscarsdad

Thanks for that - I hadn't heard about the watchdog thing! Reading into it more though it seems to be accepted that the phone is more rugged than most but not quite up to what the adverts suggest. That kind of makes it a fair choice in my mind as it should be a fair bit tougher than an I-Phone - although possibly not as tough as my Landy phone which has been in ponds, dropped off of ladders when trying to take calls in gloves etc!

I think I'll do a load more research and see if anyone else has anything to say about them. I've got 14 days to send it back so I may as well give it a go. I must say though I really do appreciate the watchdog reference - it's given me something to think about! :good:

I've had no problem with dropping my defy, we went for them for work because of the gorilla glass screen - which has worked well - 12 months use and no marks on screen compared to my own which is scratched quite badly. The software however is not as good, we've had a couple of handsets suffer sound problems and need repairing, my own keeps locking up and has to be restarted and as you say the software isnt as up to date as other handsets. having said all that - it works and is ok so don't rule against it until you've had a good play with it

I'm on the second defy in a year :blink: ( i liked the first that much!), I decided to go with it because I'm not good with phones the speakers attract metal dust and fill up, however the defy will take a knock / drop, the touch screen does not like to operate once wet but with a quick wipe is OK, mine have been soaked a few times with no problems, easy to use with a good enough camera

I love mine, tough as a brick. It's been dropped from head height onto the workshop floor more than once, with no visible damage. I can attest that it is waterproof, frequently dropping it into water, mainly just to watch peoples faces :lol:

It can have some software issues, until the 2.2 update was released, mine refused to play ring tones, but it's ok now. When my contract runs out in 6 months, I'll probably get the defy+, basically the same phone, but with a faster processor and better battery.

The contract you've been offered is pants though, I'm paying £13.50 for 300 minutes, 300 texts, and unlimited internet on t-mobile, through phones 4 u.

I love mine, tough as a brick. It's been dropped from head height onto the workshop floor more than once, with no visible damage. I can attest that it is waterproof, frequently dropping it into water, mainly just to watch peoples faces :lol:

It can have some software issues, until the 2.2 update was released, mine refused to play ring tones, but it's ok now. When my contract runs out in 6 months, I'll probably get the defy+, basically the same phone, but with a faster processor and better battery.

The contract you've been offered is pants though, I'm paying £13.50 for 300 minutes, 300 texts, and unlimited internet on t-mobile, through phones 4 u.

what network you on to have the 2.2 update? i'm on vodafone and its still telling me 2.1 is the latest version available?

Thanks for all the replies chaps, but it's going back. What did it for me was the label "THIS PHONE IS NOT WATERPROOF" - oh right, you can have it back then because I feel mislead! IP67? Well they used to be but not any more. I think that statement was costing them too much money! :oops:

I genuinely need something that has good customer support if getting it wet does break it. I don't want to ring them and be told "sorry sir, it's a rugged phone but we don't actually support that statement if anything goes wrong".

I'm looking at THIS one now.