Building Question

JonD

Hi All,

I'm thinking of having an extension built to enlarge the kitchen, add a utility room and workshop\garage.

I haven't had a builder\architect to look at it yet, more just jotting ideas down.

I'm 99.5% certain I'm going to need planning but can anyone advise if I can build right up to the boundary? The Boundary is currently a fence that adjoins a shared garden for a sheltered housing complex and would not remove any light etc. Also can I build the garage to project further than the front of the house (but not beyond the porch? It's a 2 bed end of terrace and I would still be able to park 3 cars off road.

Cheers,

Jon.

I am fairly sure you will need planning permission. We put in for a 40m2 single story extension, with roof terrace, it took 8 weeks to get approved from submitting drawings.

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/extensions'>http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/extensions

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/

Edited by V8landy

You can build right up to the shared boundary but would need the agreement of the owners of the Sheltered Housing complex by way of a party fence wall agreement. Generally with residential/residential agreements this is reasonably straight forward but with residential/commercial agreements. ( although residential it would be classed as a commercial owner) it could be a little more complicated as the chief executive of the Sheltered Housing Association, Local Authority or owner would need to agree to this and endorse it which may involve protracted meetings on their part. Take advice from the Planning office by way of a preliminary consultation before you commission your Architect. There after if the advice is favourable any good Architect should be able to advice you on these matters.

jon,

the planning portal will give you all the info you should need re permitted development.

the party wall agreement is likely to be the most difficult thing to sort out as it will need to be served to the company who owns the home and they may get a party wall surveyor to look at it. they may not care if you are only building single storey. google party wall act for all the info.

going forward of a building line will definately need planning. you can achieve this but if no other properties in the area have this you may be facing an uphill struggle.

also try to find out if your home is in a conservation area as this complicates things a bit more.

definately get a set of drawings completed either by an architect or plans drawn type and get them to quote for construction/building regs drawings.

any other questions feel free to send me a pm.

This might help explain the process involved in serving notice under section 1 of the party wall act. Its actually quite straight forward. Section 20 is the relevent section in your case. http://communities.gov.uk/documents/planningandbuilding/pdf/133214.pdf

Ive served literally 100,s of Party wall notices since 97 and been appointed Party Wall surveyor on about 30 cases in that time.

Dont forget that Planning, Building Regs and Party Wall Act are all seperate stautory acts and are required independantly of each other. Getting Planning consent does not give you authority to build without serving notice under the PWA and getting proper written agreement of the owners of the other property.

Like I said a Preliminary meeting with the Planners simply illustrating your sketch proposals would be my very first reccomendation in cases like this. They will be able to tell you immediately if it is permitted development not requiring formal consent and the initial consultation will be in your favour when a formal application is submitted.... You will always be able to obtain Building regs, and a Party wall agreement ultimately, but not necessarily Planning Permission ;)

Good Luck.

Edited by Fisherman Mike

This might help explain the process involved in serving notice under section 1 of the party wall act. Its actually quite straight forward. Section 20 is the relevent section in your case. http://communities.gov.uk/documents/planningandbuilding/pdf/133214.pdf

Ive served literally 100,s of Party wall notices since 97 and been appointed Party Wall surveyor on about 30 cases in that time.

Dont forget that Planning, Building Regs and Party Wall Act are all seperate stautory acts and are required independantly of each other. Getting Planning consent does not give you authority to build without serving notice under the PWA and getting proper written agreement of the owners of the other property.

Like I said a Preliminary meeting with the Planners simply illustrating your sketch proposals would be my very first reccomendation in cases like this. They will be able to tell you immediately if it is permitted development not requiring formal consent and the initial consultation will be in your favour when a formal application is submitted.... You will always be able to obtain Building regs, and a Party wall agreement ultimately, but not necessarily Planning Permission ;)

Good Luck.

thats interesting, where I am the planners would be unlikely to hold pre app discussions over a small domestic extension plus it takes time for them to get back to you with an answer.

it doesn't sound like a complicated issue, probably better just getting a local designer to produce a set of drawing that will comply with the requirements and get it submitted.

The

Assume first that you need PP.

When it comes to building up to the boundary the widest part of the structure is the foundation trench and the concrete strip. Foundations should have a toe, that is they should be 6" wider on each side than the wall to be built on them. Make sure the the trench excavation and the concrete do not go past the boundary line. Therefore the closest you can get the above-ground structure is 6" inside the boundry. Thats as tight as architects ever draw them.

Be careful with full-width builds unless you're on the friendliest terms with your neighbours. The slightest encroachment on their land gives them grounds for action. And make sure you know exactly where the boundary is and you both agree on its position. Don't assume PP and detailed drawings will make the boundary line clear. They usually don't.

Edited by Gimlet

thats interesting, where I am the planners would be unlikely to hold pre app discussions over a small domestic extension plus it takes time for them to get back to you with an answer.

My local council ( east Ridding) where quite happy to give advice via email and phone before planning and building regs went it...I guess it saves them time in the long run?

Did any of you see the latest Sarah beeny prog and C4, where she is doing up her Mansion in East Yorkshire? She got a tonne of issues from East Ridding council, but then again we only get her side of the storey so possibly more going on that we know about.

Assume first that you need PP.

When it comes to building up to the boundary the widest part of the structure is the foundation trench and the concrete strip. Foundations should have a toe, that is they should be 6" wider on each side than the wall to be built on them. Make sure the the trench excavation and the concrete do not go past the boundary line. Therefore the closest you can get the above-ground structure is 6" inside the boundry. Thats as tight as architects ever draw them.

Be careful with full-width builds unless you're on the friendliest terms with your neighbours. The slightest encroachment on their land gives them grounds for action. And make sure you know exactly where the boundary is and you both agree on its position. Don't assume PP and detailed drawings will make the boundary line clear. They usually don't.

you can actual,y build right up to the boundary line and it is quite common. you just need to ensure that the engineer details the correct foundation design.

you are dead right about keeping your neighbours onside and on the boundary issues. I have seen a fair amount of squabbles over nothing, and the daily mail is always full of legal battles about tiny strips of land :lol:

Thanks All,

I had a chat with the guy from the club that's going to be building it and I will need planning plus party wall agreement.

Fortunately I have the drawing from the Land Registry detailing the boundary which is a fence and the houses were only built about 20 years ago.

I have already learnt a lot from the advice here, the links provided and from speaking with the guy who will most likely build it, i'm now playing around with ideas, drawings etc before he comes over to give me more advice based on site survey before starting the process.

Cheers,

Jon.

Thanks All,

I had a chat with the guy from the club that's going to be building it and I will need planning plus party wall agreement.

Fortunately I have the drawing from the Land Registry detailing the boundary which is a fence and the houses were only built about 20 years ago.

I have already learnt a lot from the advice here, the links provided and from speaking with the guy who will most likely build it, i'm now playing around with ideas, drawings etc before he comes over to give me more advice based on site survey before starting the process.

Cheers,

Jon.

Hi All,

Whilst chatting with my neighbours over Christmas they told me that the previous occupier had planning permission granted for a 2 story extension. Is there any way I can contact the council etc to try and get a copy of the application and possibly plans submitted?

I'm going to try and get in touch with them tomorrow to find out, although the planning permission has expired it could hopefully save me some time and money?

Cheers,

Jon.