Tikka t3 .223 1 in 12 twist

Hi Can anyone advise what is the best round to use for foxing, that would suit this rifle with 1 in 12 twist and also how much per box

thanks

Huntsman

no one can really give you a direct answer,the only answers you will get is what works in there own particular make of rifle,unfortunatley your going to have to do the homework by buying a box of each and see what you rifle likes,a rifle even the same make can be fussy on what you feed them,

if your using factory ammo start with the cheapest then your not wasting too much cash if it dont shoot them

another tip is once you have found a brand your rifle likes go straight back to the shop and buy every box with the same batch number on,this way you will get some sort of consistancy and not have to re zero every time you open a new box

Edited by Ackley

Ackley I was starting to think you were talking sense till that reply. You're suggesting starting with the cheapest which will be privi and usually the least consistent ammo. I'd lay money on his tika shooting fine with norma in that weight range I'm yet to hear of one that won't. Ok it may shoot cheap stuff fine but you might as well start off with a decent mid priced round with a reasonable history of shooting well

hi mate im shooting a tikka 1-12 twist and i went and bought some privvi partizan 55g softpoint.i got these to zero in my scope and have a bit practise with the intetions of moving on to a more consitant round as recommended by the lads on here.well as it happend at a zero range of 100yrds i was well happy with the grouping.i have had a few fox now using this round and in my opinion they are doing the job and mr charlie not likeing them either.i must say i have never tried them over 200 yrds so cant comment on that distance.the furthest i dropped a fox stone dead was 140 yrds and i consider this to be a reasonable distance so i am still using them to date.been out today and bought some at £9.50 per box.cheaper than some but like i say working for me although i hear some rifles dont like them so im lucky i guess.atb foxnet hope this helps fella.

Ackley I was starting to think you were talking sense till that reply. You're suggesting starting with the cheapest which will be privi and usually the least consistent ammo. I'd lay money on his tika shooting fine with norma in that weight range I'm yet to hear of one that won't. Ok it may shoot cheap stuff fine but you might as well start off with a decent mid priced round with a reasonable history of shooting well

well to be fair after reading the amount of people who claim 1/2 inch all day long accuracy with cheap privi you may as well have a go with them,so it seems the senceable thing to do for starters wouldnt you think :rolleyes:

I could have said just bring me the rifle and £250 plus parts and he will go away with an accurate load and 100 rounds

but what ever I say Iam dammed

Edited by Ackley

Lets start by saying I am not stepping in to defend Ackleys comments, but I do tend to agree!

I use PRVI almost exclusively in my centrefires and they can ALL deliver 1" or better, now, that does for my requirements.

I know that is not the case with everyones rifles, indeed a pal with a very similar Remington .308 to mine, and of a very similar age (both new) struggled to get 3" with the same PRVI.

My T3 Lite .223 is 1-8, and shoots everything from 40-75g (I think that is the heaviest I have tried), but NOT all T3 do shoot everything!

Many say I have been lucky with my rifles, whatever, PRVI does me, but I totally accept that when I do get a few home brews they are generally better, I just don't need it, that all!

PRVI .223 55g SP currently circa £49 per 100.

ATB!

Lets start by saying I am not stepping in to defend Ackleys comments, but I do tend to agree!

I use PRVI almost exclusively in my centrefires and they can ALL deliver 1" or better, now, that does for my requirements.

I know that is not the case with everyones rifles, indeed a pal with a very similar Remington .308 to mine, and of a very similar age (both new) struggled to get 3" with the same PRVI.

My T3 Lite .223 is 1-8, and shoots everything from 40-75g (I think that is the heaviest I have tried), but NOT all T3 do shoot everything!

Many say I have been lucky with my rifles, whatever, PRVI does me, but I totally accept that when I do get a few home brews they are generally better, I just don't need it, that all!

PRVI .223 55g SP currently circa £49 per 100.

ATB!

O my god hell would freeze over before you accepted something I said was right :rolleyes:

Oh by the way are you going to show at Bisley next time Iam there

If memory serves it was you who couldn't make the last one...

correct I couldnt but HE was told weeks in advance and also by PM the date I was going to be there and HE still didnt turn up but only replied with a silly PM,I thought HE said HE was there all the time,obviously not

never mind

Edited by Ackley

O my god hell would freeze over before you accepted something I said was right :rolleyes:

Yeah, that just about sums it up for me too! Taking your side of a disagreement with someone I like aint going to happen often!

At the same time I have to agree with your early comment about giving Prvi a try. At the end of the day two rifles will rarely like the same ammo. In some you will find that the sub £10 per box Prvi will out shoot the £30+ per box Norma by miles. That's just the nature of what we do. Cost may mean quality but it doesn't assure accuracy unfortunately.

I would suggest you try a bullet of around 50gr and start off with the cheaper stuff. Prvi, RWS, S&B.... All are budget rounds that may well do the job. It's silly to start off with the expensive stuff as you may never get to find out that you could be saving yourself a fortune!

My .243 didn't shoot Prvi well at all but my 6.5x55 would group well under an inch at 100 yards with their FMJ (£8 per 20!).