Deer Where to Start?

SilentKill

Whilst i am aware of the caliber restrictions and seasons on the various deer. What are the stipulations on actually shooting deer?

• Do you have to have a DSC 1/2?
  • Does it have to be specified on FAC?

obviously this is assuming you have permission on land with deer causing damage to crops etc and meat for personal consumption not selling on.

You dont have to do any qualification to shoot deer but you obviously need the deer condition on your fac. :good:

I guessed that would be needed anyway, and as always i guess it depends on your force your with? do some forces require you to have DSC?

I'll make it clear that i intend to do my DSC anyway as a matter of course and i have a few friends who are level 2 to learn from.

Edited by SilentKill

I guessed that would be needed anyway, and as always i guess it depends on your force your with? do some forces require you to have DSC?

Some do but they cant legally insist on it. Although DSC 1 is very easy to pass it may be an easier way to get your deer condition rather than argue the toss.

Edited by Luckyshot

I think it depends on how you plan to get your shooting in the future? Do you want to do days on Forestry Commission land or do you have farmers who want the Deer controlled?

On FC land and also with a lot of other large scale leases a DSC can be compulsory, ie you won't get shooting without it! On the other hand if like me you plan to shoot small farms and estates then often the people you deal with won't even know what a DSC is.

I haven't done any form of paper qualification yet have a good range of rifles and land to shoot with little restriction. I did however learn the basics from an experienced shot. Whether you do a DSC or not it's essential to get info and experience from somewhere and ideally be able to prove it to your FEO. Not only to get the kit easily but because you owe it to your quarry to do things properly. :good:

Some do but they cant legally insist on it. Although DSC 1 is very easy to pass it may be an easier way to get your deer condition rather than argue the toss.

they can legally insist on it mate as its up to the cheif officer what conditions is printed on your ticket as he has to sign it off

I was just about to post a question about DSC1 when I saw this thread. I don't currently have any deer stalking permission. And I don't have the money to pay for stalking. But I am thinking about 'investing' in my DSC1. I reckon that having the qualification will make it much easier for me to take advantage of any opportunities which might turn up in future. Am I right? Or should I keep hold of my £300?

Cheers

they can legally insist on it mate as its up to the cheif officer what conditions is printed on your ticket as he has to sign it off

What a load of old tosh, only joking Ackley and Happy Newyear. Ackleys right, its one of those funny old rules that Firearms make up.Its not a legal requirement but they can legally insist on it. I have battled this arguement with a few on here,Dekers will be on this in a minute along with Kent. Gloucestershire told me they wouldnt let me have deer until I did the DSC1, I brought this up with BASC and they didnt want to get involved.Anyhow that was a bit back now,regardless of law it does help when gaining permissions, landowners like to see bits of paper these days. Forestry commission ground around our way is out of bounds unless you have DSC2.

I was just about to post a question about DSC1 when I saw this thread. I don't currently have any deer stalking permission. And I don't have the money to pay for stalking. But I am thinking about 'investing' in my DSC1. I reckon that having the qualification will make it much easier for me to take advantage of any opportunities which might turn up in future. Am I right? Or should I keep hold of my £300?

Cheers

is hasnt got to cost you £300 mate you can do your homework at home and just sit the test,as long as you can hit a 4 inch target at 100 yards max and shoot off sticks at 25 yards you will pass,you can get all you need on line.

deer idnetification againisnt hard theres plenty of books and on line photos for you to study

I only did the test which was many years ago now it cost me £80 plus £25 registration fee

the questions are all mulipul choice and are usually just commone sence the photos are off a projector so not that clear,the safety test again is commone sence you can actually pass it without saying you would shoot at any of the targets set up as its "your" choice to shoot or not,as long as you load and unload the rifle in a safe manner and unload and show its clear to anyone you opass it too to go over any obsticles its pretty straight forward and common sence

good luck

is hasnt got to cost you £300 mate you can do your homework at home and just sit the test,as long as you can hit a 4 inch target at 100 yards max and shoot off sticks at 25 yards you will pass,you can get all you need on line.

deer idnetification againisnt hard theres plenty of books and on line photos for you to study

I only did the test which was many years ago now it cost me £80 plus £25 registration fee

the questions are all mulipul choice and are usually just commone sence the photos are off a projector so not that clear,the safety test again is commone sence you can actually pass it without saying you would shoot at any of the targets set up as its "your" choice to shoot or not,as long as you load and unload the rifle in a safe manner and unload and show its clear to anyone you opass it too to go over any obsticles its pretty straight forward and common sence

good luck

Its gone up a bit since when you did yours Ackley, when I did mine it cost more like £150 if my memory serves me correctly.The BDS's Training manual for deer stalkers has all the info and questions you need to answer plus what you need to be able to do shooting/safety wise. This book can be bought from The British Deer Society for around £35, check out their website.You will need to ident the 6 british deer species,sexes and pelage(winter/summer)this can be found online. Its not rocket science and with a bit of study is pretty easy,oddly many fail on what is a pretty simple accuracy test. If you fail any of the modules you can just go back and take that bit again for a nominal charge.Its a sign of the times, I reckon in a few years time you will need a phd to pick up an air rifle.

Its gone up a bit since when you did yours Ackley, when I did mine it cost more like £150 if my memory serves me correctly.The BDS's Training manual for deer stalkers has all the info and questions you need to answer plus what you need to be able to do shooting/safety wise. This book can be bought from The British Deer Society for around £35, check out their website.You will need to ident the 6 british deer species,sexes and pelage(winter/summer)this can be found online. Its not rocket science and with a bit of study is pretty easy,oddly many fail on what is a pretty simple accuracy test. If you fail any of the modules you can just go back and take that bit again for a nominal charge.Its a sign of the times, I reckon in a few years time you will need a phd to pick up an air rifle.

I did mine 11 years ago I wouldnt have thought it can go up that much,always best to ask the place you intend on using how much just the test is,Iam sure people who have completed theres would sell or pass on a copy of the manual for a small fee as once you have passed you dont need it anymore

Whilst i am aware of the caliber restrictions and seasons on the various deer. What are the stipulations on actually shooting deer?

• Do you have to have a DSC 1/2?
  • Does it have to be specified on FAC?

obviously this is assuming you have permission on land with deer causing damage to crops etc and meat for personal consumption not selling on.

If you book a day and use an estate rifle facility you do not even require an FAC. If your new to it and you go with the right crew this is a great way to give it a go. Deer are not vermin and can be shot for reasons other than damage

If you book a day and use an estate rifle facility you do not even require an FAC. If your new to it and you go with the right crew this is a great way to give it a go. Deer are not vermin and can be shot for reasons other than damage

I don't think he said they were Vermin, but lets not play with specific word definitions, deer can, most certainly, and commonly are, a Pest. They also have seasons for the sport (whatever that is :hmm:) shooter!

The vast majority I shoot are for reasons of "Pest Control"! actually, they are ALL for Pest Control these days, just now and again a decent head turns up! :yes::yes:

ATB!

Edited by Dekers

I don't think he said they were Vermin, but lets not play with specific word definitions, deer can, most certainly, and commonly are, a Pest. They also have seasons for the sport (whatever that is :hmm:) shooter!

The vast majority I shoot are for reasons of "Pest Control"! actually, they are ALL for Pest Control these days, just now and again a decent head turns up! :yes::yes:

ATB!

No but damage was mentioned by the OP. I have never shot a deer for its head period personally, though have left them alone for it :good: i cannot say i shot all the others as pests many were harvesting the surplus and managing for the health of the heard or to prevent spead into less appropriate areas and yes the sport of hunting - not killing hunting :good: . Pest, damage and yes vermin are over used words in regards to deer i have seen too many shot under the guise of pests by the F.C when the real reason was carcass money and job justification. One particular location they only entered F.C land on driven pheasant shoot days and the rangers were always there waiting to prevent damage to thier trees if they waited till evening they would all be back anyway and Fallow outside of the rut and new plantings just dont damage mature sruce trees

ATB!

No but damage was mentioned by the OP. I have never shot a deer for its head period personally, though have left them alone for it :good: i cannot say i shot all the others as pests many were harvesting the surplus and managing for the health of the heard or to prevent spead into less appropriate areas and yes the sport of hunting - not killing hunting :good: . Pest, damage and yes vermin are over used words in regards to deer i have seen too many shot under the guise of pests by the F.C when the real reason was carcass money and job justification. One particular location they only entered F.C land on driven pheasant shoot days and the rangers were always there waiting to prevent damage to thier trees if they waited till evening they would all be back anyway and Fallow outside of the rut and new plantings just dont damage mature sruce trees

If somebody wanted to have a stalking calibre and wanted to use it for paid stalks only would they let you have one but just put must be accompanied for paid stalks etc on your fac or mentoring on it until you got your dsc1 or could they say you got to do your dsc before you get the calibre?