Pigeons from behind

lazza

If they are flying over your head, not stopping and continuing straight away from you, then fire at their feet.

A change to No.6 shot might also help.

Are you sure that by the time you see them, they are not out of killing range ?

This is commonly the problem, especially if you are knocking feathers out of them.

Try to get on them quicker. :angry:

It's not good when that happens. (Not enough pellets in the right places). You're obviously hitting 'em because of the feathers. If you're using no6 shot at 40 yards or less, then check how your gun's patterning, maybe.

I use 32gm 6's, and often have the  problem when their appearing so quick. To  be honest their coming in probably no more than 5 ft above my head. I'll try firing at their feet & see what happens. Alot of the time I find the birds dead two fields away & pick 'em up, but with the crops being so high at the moment this is quite difficult. Any other shot, & I can drop'em where I want. Maybe it's just a bit of practice on a few clays thats needed??

Oh! how people love to give advice on other peoples shooting because we are all experts "LOL". I think the other posts are right you are going over the top. When shooting going away birds the shot tends to be more of a rifle shot i.e.no gun swing, every shotgun will shot high in this situation try this out by putting a fertilzer bag on a tree at 35 yds, shoot at the bottom of the bag and you may be suprised how high your shot goes.