AYA Yeoman 28in side by side

McF

Hi All

I'm after some pointers on the above gun i.e year of manufacture, choke size in each barrel & chamber length.

With the barrels removed stamped on the flats is 01 in the left hand corner of the left barrel, also on the same flat is 12-70 which is circled and is just before the serial number.

On the right hand barrel are 3 *** underneath these is stamped 18.6.

On the left hand barrel I can not see any stars but 18.6 is stamped on it and above this 17.3 is also stamped on it.

Any information on the above will be much appreciated.

Mcf

You can email aya like i did for my no 3, they will reply with date of manufacture and model if you include your serial number

Im sure there is a web page out there with all the date code on them, im sure someone has it saved in there favourites

Atb

Edited by M.I.A

Hi All

I'm after some pointers on the above gun i.e year of manufacture, choke size in each barrel & chamber length.

With the barrels removed stamped on the flats is 01 in the left hand corner of the left barrel, also on the same flat is 12-70 which is circled and is just before the serial number.

On the right hand barrel are 3 *** underneath these is stamped 18.6.

On the left hand barrel I can not see any stars but 18.6 is stamped on it and above this 17.3 is also stamped on it.

Any information on the above will be much appreciated.

Mcf

I trust I will be corrected if I am wrong but I feel certain the 18.6 is the metric diameter of the bores. 18.6mm= .729" so a true 12g.

The 3* I think is 1/2choke. There maybe no stars on the left barrel as it maybe a very tight full choke. 17.6mm= .686". .690" is considered the normal constriction for full choke in a 12g, hence no star, maybe!

Looking at the muzzles should show this!

The 12-70 is the gauge and chamber length.

Good luck, nice guns.

Underdog.

I trust I will be corrected if I am wrong but I feel certain the 18.6 is the metric diameter of the bores. 18.6mm= .729" so a true 12g.

The 3* I think is 1/2choke. There maybe no stars on the left barrel as it maybe a very tight full choke. 17.6mm= .686". .690" is considered the normal constriction for full choke in a 12g, hence no star, maybe!

Looking at the muzzles should show this!

The 12-70 is the gauge and chamber length.

Good luck, nice guns.

Underdog.

Underdog thanks for your reply

Do you know what the 01 stands for, I've been told it relates to year of manufacture but don't know how to find out what year it relates to.

Thanks again for your help.

Mcf

You can email aya like i did for my no 3, they will reply with date of manufacture and model if you include your serial number

Im sure there is a web page out there with all the date code on them, im sure someone has it saved in there favourites

Atb

M.I.A Thanks for your reply.

Do you have the web address? I've tried googling it but it doesn't come up with their address.

Regards

Mcf

As above :good:

The numbers assigned since 1945 are:

1945 to 1948 — 0001 to 19,999

1949 to 1954 — 20,000 to 71,999

1955 to 1959 — 72,000 to 115,286

1960 to 1965 — 115,287 to 222,508

1966 to 1971 — 222,509 to 378,548

1972 to 1977 — 378,549 to 481,401

1978 to 1983 — 481,402 to 576,551

1984 to 1987 — 576,553 to 599,999

1987 to 1995 — 599,999 to 630.000

I have 12-70 stamped on my spanish sxs but when I put my verniers in it I get 3.516" so surely a 3.5 inch chamber.

I was looking all over the net trying to figure out what mine is aswell but doesn't seem to be alot on this subject

It would have 31/2" on it for sure if it were 31/2" dude :yes:

Good luck.

U.

Ah I'm thinking into it too much then, but even when the cartridge is fully open and they claim to be a 70mm such as clear pigeons, when measured fully fired there around 68-69 never had a 70 yet. So surely it would take a 3.5 as they probably only measure 3.25 unopened, so has room to fire to 3.5, I'm not going to use 3.5's as I have no need to. Just understanding chambers, being a machinist that's a massive chamber and miles to big. I'd it's for a 70 mm I'd machine a chamber of 70.5 not 19 mm too big

Ah I'm thinking into it too much then, but even when the cartridge is fully open and they claim to be a 70mm such as clear pigeons, when measured fully fired there around 68-69 never had a 70 yet. So surely it would take a 3.5 as they probably only measure 3.25 unopened, so has room to fire to 3.5, I'm not going to use 3.5's as I have no need to. Just understanding chambers, being a machinist that's a massive chamber and miles to big. I'd it's for a 70 mm I'd machine a chamber of 70.5 not 19 mm too big

Dan, chamber length in a shotgun don't matter to much untill you put to long a shell into it that is!

The main concern is the service pressure your gun is built around, which sounds like is not a 31/2" cartridge!

A custom gun builder would build that chamber to tighter specs no doubt.

Take care.

U.

I have an aya yeoman. It has 2 3/4 inch chambers perfectly fine to use standard lead carts in and choked half and full :good: nice pointable little gun .

I have 12-70 stamped on my spanish sxs but when I put my verniers in it I get 3.516" so surely a 3.5 inch chamber.

I was looking all over the net trying to figure out what mine is aswell but doesn't seem to be alot on this subject

They read bigger as the cartridge needs space to open..........12 -70 is gauge and chamber length ( as in 70 mm) DO NOT put a 3 inch cart in it as you wont have much hand left afterwards. You can use 2" and 2 3/4"

Edited by mpk