PSNI FAC Interview

joee

Hello all, first time poster and first time shooter looking for info.

I have submitted my FAC application for a 12g over and under with all the correct paperwork completed and its currently been processed. They have checked with both my refs and I am due in for my interview this Friday regarding my application.

For those who have went through this process, what can I expect to happen, how long should it take and what info should I be given while there. Will I be told the chance of getting a grant or is this just another piece if the process before it goes for sign off.

Cheers for any and all info supplied and hope you all had a good year session :)

Welcome Joee,

It will depend on which area you are in for the time to process fully your application and you get your 'ticket'.

Many FLO's are taking up to 4 months to process.

Most important thing to remember at the interview is,be totally honest why you want the shotgun,and any other questions asked.

I would think that your references must be in order to have the interview,don't be afraid of the FEO,he's only doing a job,and won't be out to 'catch' you out.

Lots of tea(or coffee) and biscuits.

hope it goes well for you :good:

Alan :)

Hello all, first time poster and first time shooter looking for info.

I have submitted my FAC application for a 12g over and under with all the correct paperwork completed and its currently been processed. They have checked with both my refs and I am due in for my interview this Friday regarding my application.

For those who have went through this process, what can I expect to happen, how long should it take and what info should I be given while there. Will I be told the chance of getting a grant or is this just another piece if the process before it goes for sign off.

Cheers for any and all info supplied and hope you all had a good year session :)

You have made this sound like you have to go to the Police for an interview ???

They will be coming to you to check you and your security arrangements out, your domestic situation, ask a few questions about experience and to try and get a general measure of you.

Just another part of the process Joe, my interview was at my house and lasted about 10 mins at the very most. I was asked about my personal circumstances and experience with firearms and what type of shooting I intended on doing. To be honest your better telling them you have experience of Firearms and how to safely handle them rather than say you don't have much experience. Just be calm and chatty with the interviewer and offer a cup of tea.

Why have you to go in? I Had my interview at home?

The lady that interviewed me looked at my cabinet when she was out because I asked her to as I had already had it installed but I know others have had to wait for another officer to come out and check the cabinet. So if you have your cabinet fitted ask for it to be looked at to save them having to come out again. It will also mean you get your cert quicker.

All the best

Paul

I work in Letterkenny you see so I think its just better suited to them if I come to them when am free. This in at my local police station, not at my registered address.

The women on the phone was brave and polite to so am not overly worried about it.

I don't have a gun safe installed as of yet as I didn't see the point of putting one in until I was sure I was getting the grant and I stated this on a letter sent with the application.

I don't have much experience with firearms and my ref/landowner has already stated that he will be giving any training required as hes been a long term FAC holder of over 10 years.

Cheers all for your time and knowledge shared

Regards

JoeE

I work in Letterkenny you see so I think its just better suited to them if I come to them when am free. This in at my local police station, not at my registered address.

The women on the phone was brave and polite to so am not overly worried about it.

I don't have a gun safe installed as of yet as I didn't see the point of putting one in until I was sure I was getting the grant and I stated this on a letter sent with the application.

I don't have much experience with firearms and my ref/landowner has already stated that he will be giving any training required as hes been a long term FAC holder of over 10 years.

Cheers all for your time and knowledge shared

Regards

JoeE

I take your point about not putting the cabinet in - it is a chicken and egg situation but you will need to have it installed before you are granted your FAC. It is a dilemma and it would be a good idea to bring it up at your meeting. The FEO should be able to give you a good steer on how to proceed.

Unless you have lots of skeletons in your cupboard, there is no reason why PSNI should not grant a certificate. Everyone has to get started sometime and your ref/landowner sounds good. It might just be an idea to book a few lessons at your local clay ground or with a BASC instructor.

Remember that FEOs are experienced officers who deal with loads of applications like yours. They have been round the block many times and are generally enthusiastic and supportive of shooting & filedsports. Tea & biscuits on home visits never go amiss - also obvious things like being organised which is evidenced by your home being tidyish and not a complete tip!

I started shooting way over 40 years ago and the RUC then were much more laid back about granting a certificate - I think my father organsied it for me. No meetings,no references, no interview and no need for a gun cabinet then either!

Good luck

Word for the wise, be honest. If you don't have much experience then say so, all new FAC holders have a 6 month mentoring condition on their FAC anyway for just this eventuality. If you ******** then the FEO will mark you as a ********ter and raise this with HQ, people don't realise that FEO's have been round the block and have heard it all before.

In some area's of NI you may be asked to go to the station for an interview because of the current security situation.

Don't worry about it, the interview is indeed a friendly chat and a few questions to check that you aren't a psycho and don't have problems with family members and that sort of thing.

I've so far found FEO's to be helpful and chatty, and to be honest I have found most of the interview is spent with them telling you about the rules regarding firearms, storage and safety etc, just sit back and listen and learn.

It's not a big issue not having a cabinet already installed, all that happens is you'll be told you've got the cert and to get one, when you have done so they'll just come out to see you again to check it's bolted in place. Worst case it'll add a couple of weeks to you actually getting your certificate.

I think that as long as they are happy you'll go out with an experienced shot a few times before going out alone, they should be happy.

It is indeed a friendly chat. I had my chat on a Wednesday and licence popped through the letterbox on the following Monday so they can go to the extreme in either direction of the time scale (FAO saw me in the morning and said it would go to HQ that day (Devizes)).

Gedge

Was in the area today so popped in and interview all over and done with. Short and sweet to be honest.

Didn't last 10mins, spent more time walking about the station looking for a free room he he.

Once in, she just asked 6 - 10 questions after she informed me what she has already done on my application such as speaking to refs, landowners etc and everything was fine that way.

I have 2 driving convictions and a minor other conviction something which didn't seem to bother her that much.

Basic questions about medical history and home situation.

Gun safe was mentioned and I stated that I have one reserved its just a matter of picking it and up installing. She was fine with this and stated that I will hear within 2 - 3 weeks.

Experience questions wise was straight forward, I stated that I know the general rules of handling a weapon and have shot/cleaned a over and under plus a semi-auto 12g, again she was happy enough and noted that there may be a condition of the first 6months is supervised shooing, something am not bothered about as Ill only ever be out with the landowner to begin with.

Edited by joee

• 5 years later...

I know its an old thread but I'm sure people read it when waiting for their interview or thinking of applying. The interview is straight forward, nothing yo try and trip you up just be honest. Main thing was previous expierence with the gun you have applied for, name of person at shooting ground you have taken a couple of lessons from or experienced shot that takes you out. Make sure your canbinet is bolted in saves a second visit. The 'good reason ' was barely touched on mostly due to how the answer to that was worded on the application thanks to advice of BASC. Being a member of shooting organisation such as BASC also seemed to help. Hope this helps put someone else's mind at rest!

I started shooting way over 40 years ago and the RUC then were much more laid back about granting a certificate - I think my father organsied it for me. No meetings,no references, no interview and no need for a gun cabinet then either!

Yes you just filed the form in, but it depended what you wanted a .22 rifle for example was difficult to get approval for.