help with shooting

bazzashadow

hi

i am new to the forum and sport. i have had my licence for about 5 months. After going to a clay shoot at a stag party i enjoyed it so much that me and a Friend took up the sport. i have a Baikal o/u 12g and a silenced .410. i have been practising every Sunday on a field with a bowman trap and not doing to bad but

problem 1: i keep hitting my cheek with my thumb on recoil from the Baikal

problem 2: before Christmas i was not doing too bad on the field and then the week before Christmas i could not hit anything, then came the worst thing i went on a proper clay shoot on the 28th and only hit :blush::blush::blush: 17 out of 100 :mad::mad::cry1: then back up the field for some more practise and still could not hit anything (11/20 right to left 3/20 left to right)

can anyone recommend anything

thanks

PS: how do i get permission to shoot seems everyone says no, have asked 5 farms so far. is anyone interested in taking a newbie decoying :blush:

Go have some proper lessons chances are:

A gun doesnt fit (I still cant imagine how you thumb hits your cheek unless the stock is far too short)

B your gun mount isnt good (see above)

C your eye dominance may be an issue (hence the issue on hitting them one way and not the other....)

D .....

Let us know where you are and i am sure someone can point you in the direction of a decent coach or ground, a single trap in feild is no practice for a proper shoot.

EDIT: Welcome you can learn a lot here but some face to face time with a proper coach is the way to go now.

Edited by HDAV

I recently took a friend round a sporting lay out and quickly realised I'd been tought everything I needed to know, eg lead, gun mount etc, by the guys I shot with and took it all for granted forgetting to tell my guest some of the stuff till half way through the second stand! :look: Someone new to the sport practising on their own will sadly learn next to nothing of these things and you'll need to get shooting with a regular group of chaps at a clay club or get some proper lessons booked! :good:

Go have some proper lessons chances are:

A gun doesnt fit (I still cant imagine how you thumb hits your cheek unless the stock is far too short)

B your gun mount isnt good (see above)

C your eye dominance may be an issue (hence the issue on hitting them one way and not the other....)

D .....

Let us know where you are and i am sure someone can point you in the direction of a decent coach or ground, a single trap in feild is no practice for a proper shoot.

EDIT: Welcome you can learn a lot here but some face to face time with a proper coach is the way to go now.

thanks for the tips

answer to first post NORWICH

lessons it will be

does anyone know anywhere in norfolk

Send Alan a message he's on this site at "hitclays" he does lessons and runs an excellent setup at Beeston near Dereham 1st and 3rd sunday every month. Well worth the time, and not a bad chap to suit!! :lol:

Steve

Send Alan a message he's on this site at "hitclays" he does lessons and runs an excellent setup at Beeston near Dereham 1st and 3rd sunday every month. Well worth the time, and not a bad chap to suit!! :lol:

Steve

:good: :good:

Alan will point you in the right direction and he is extremly good...

Also we have our very own coach on here with bakerboy...if you come to the flush in March I am sure he will help you like he did with me....

Best advice is go with someone and they can help where you are going wrong..

Where about is Norwich are you?? :good:

:good: :good:

Alan will point you in the right direction and he is extremly good...

Also we have our very own coach on here with bakerboy...if you come to the flush in March I am sure he will help you like he did with me....

Best advice is go with someone and they can help where you are going wrong..

Where about is Norwich are you?? :good:

tuckswood