crow call

hymax12uk

Hi chaps

just wondering if any one has tryed calling in crows with one of thoughs crow and owl cd's from America ? I think you are allowed to use electronic calls on vermin am i right ,well i have orderd one so we shall see what happens next time i go out :ernyha:

• 2 weeks later...

hymax12uk

It must be legal as some gun shops sell those electronic sounders that emit. fox bark, fox cub, crow, magpie, rabbit & hare distress calls etc.

I've have heard that the magpie call is very good.

As for crows, I only have a acme crow call (reed type), which I've used to some success. Usually works best when in a hide and a crow has landed in a tree some way off. He has just got to come in and see who is making all the noise.

Regards Elma :ernyha:

Hammergun,

Electronic "VERMIN" calls certainly are NOT illigal in the UK. If you investigate you will find several types on open sale in the sporting press. You may be confusing the issue with electronic calls for wildfowl which are illigal, and I would never dream of using, but where crows, magpies and foxes are concerned I have no hesitation in using the most effective means to dispose of them!!!!

Electronic "VERMIN" calls certainly are NOT illigal in the UK. If you investigate you will find several types on open sale in the sporting press.

They are illegal I contacted BASC about it about 12 months ago, alas I do not still have a copy of the email but they are illegal for all birds, not 100% sure about foxes.

If you wish to keep your license I suggest you stop using them. :ernyha:

I am 100% sure they are legal. This one is called a "callout ", it is produced by a company in Newry in Northern Ireland, and was advertised in the Shooting Times. When purchased the legality was questioned and was assured to be totally legal, but I will double check and get back to you asap.

I am 100% sure they are legal. This one is called a "callout ", it is produced by a company in Newry in Northern Ireland, and was advertised in the Shooting Times. When purchased the legality was questioned and was assured to be totally legal, but I will double check and get back to you asap.

Contact BASC again they were very helpful last time but as i said I lost the email :ernyha: Would be good if they were legal as one member from Northern Ireland incedently had great success with a crow caller but he stopped using the tapes when BASC let us know it was illegal. Better safe than sorry wouldn't want to lose my cert just coz I was killing some corvids :blink:

Ok lads,

I've contacted BASC and the manufacturer and they are LEGAL! It is simply a case of technology overtaking legislation. The sounds on this call are electronically synthesised NOT a recording on a tape or cd. They sound identical to the real thing but they are stored on an Eprom. Basc are happy with them as long as it is only for corvids and the manufacturer did an exstensive study before marketing and had no reason to find them illigal.There have been nearly 1000 sold to uk residents in the last 6 months, The advert was in the sporting gun December issue on page 121. I'm sure they will account for many more carrion crows, magpies and foxes in the future! :ernyha: :blink: ???:devil:

Whilst in the USA last March, I bought one of Johnny Stewarts cd's for crow calling. I made my own caller from parts bought here in the uk, cost about £30 all up and have used both of them to reasonable success. Good luck.

Also as a point of interest, if you watch any of the warrener video's you will see on one of them him showing clients his electronic caller. My understanding of the law is they are perfectly legal if you are calling to attract vermin. If you are using them to attract any other animal or species, and subsequently shoot what has been attracted other than vermin, you are breaking the law.