Eye Dominance ?

Royboy

Ah timps yes the master of eye changing (the reason i didn't attempt this is because right eye is not as good as my left vision wise and while it may have corrected the dominance I wouldn't have been able to see the target as well/clearly)

I am also very strongly left eye dominant (it often swaps with age around 50 so your age can have an effect and it can change naturally or by design)

I have always been of the opinion there is not a panacea for curing the problem and definitely not a one size fits all approach, so you have to try them all and what works for some may not for others.

Your issue is the strength of your right eye, mine is damage to my left shoulder, so we would seem to agree that there is not one ultimate method ???

Dominance changes for many reasons including being tired and I was very left eye dominance to start with as well.

Like I said in my post above 1 method will work, as to which only the shooter will know but he/she will have to give them a bit of time.

Ive recently started becoming more left eye dominant, so keep both my eyes open until just about to shoot then close it. I've also got a ruby sight, same sort of thing as easy hit. Not tried that yet as only got it the other day, to be honest I don't think it will work for me .

Ive recently started becoming more left eye dominant, so keep both my eyes open until just about to shoot then close it. I've also got a ruby sight, same sort of thing as easy hit. Not tried that yet as only got it the other day, to be honest I don't think it will work for me .

Do you close it totally or just dim it?

With closing it totally you lose all depth perception and peripheral vision whereas dimming (squinting the left eye) you still get all your depth perception & peripheral vision but the squint (in a lot of cases) will switch the dominance to the right eye. With practice it’s a very effective method over closing the eye totally but does not work for everyone.

:good:

If you are right eye dominant, stand some distance away from a mirror, look at the end of your nose in the reflection and then quickly point at your nose with your left hand index finger. If you are left eye dominant do the same with your right hand.

It's curious that if you first stare at your nose it doesn't matter which hand you point with it will point at your nose (in the reflection)! It's the same if you throw a ball - are all the left eye dominant folk who throw a ball with their right hand missing the target? So stare at the clay / bird with both eyes open and as long as the gun mount is correct you should be about fine on most everything except crossers, which need a bit more work.

My son is left eye dominant but shoots right handed and is a good game shot including left and right woodcock. The ****** also shoots well off his left shoulder too but that's another matter. With both eyes open he just knows he has to look hard only at the target and forget looking at the gun. He used to shoot by closing one eye just before pulling the trigger but now shoots both eyes open, so we've been through the same problem that some others have.

It's horses for courses but the gun should point where you are looking irrespective of eye dominance. It won't work for everyone but I've now seen it work for others once they get the logic in their heads. I'm also fairly sure that the Easyhit-type products just bring your attention back to the end of the gun which is not where you want it to be on the majority of targets.

Just a thought.

It seems to me that the common thread in all of this is that no one solution will work for everyone, and the "cure" is really only achievable if you know yourself well enough to know, ( or can learn), what will work for you.

There's a quote attributed to Francis Bacon, from 500 years ago, which is "Above all Man, know thyself"

Those few words make it sound easy !!! and for some people it is, or perhaps just seems to be..

Whatever you do, all "it" has got to do, is work, so practice practice practice

I know an old guy who showed me some interesting perception issues using wooden dowels of various lenghts, some long, some short, some very long - just to try and learn the difference in sight picture, plus you can do this anywhere.. no gun required... :good:

And remember we're all human, ( well most of us ), and therefore make mistakes... I've got a pal who occasionally swings nicely, following a bird, and then stops the swing to pull the trigger!! .... Of course, I have never done that !!! :blush:

ATB

Sim

Well tried the easy hit on Sunday and didn't do a great deal of nothing. So this week while at work and on lunch breaks when I have time I put my safety glasses on, but Im smearing grease on the left lense to see if it helps build the right eye up to be the strong one. So far so good, the left isn't as dominant. So hopefully give it a week or 2 of shortish sessions and see what happens. It's not blocking vision just blurring it so the right takes over. Don't do it too long tho, gives me a head ache after about an hour. That's not the only thing that changes either, my boss now thinks im a fruit after being sat reading the paper with blurry lensed glasses on.

Edited by dan-250

Well I stand corrected on some of my previous posts :blush:

I have had the good fortune of being able to buy a new Silver pigeon last week which obviously involved having it fitted etc.

I took it out on the clays the same day and to my suprise I got a PB.

My normal average over 100 esp is 50 - 60 call it coincedence or a run of good luck but scored 87!!!!

As I found out in the shop my Lanber was way to short for me had 28" barrels the new SP has 30" and the stock, heel etc is totally different but this has made a huge difference.

I am going clay busting again tomorrow so I guess the proof will be in the pudding really but my sight picture with the SP is much better and I seem to be looking more down the rib than the side of the gun.

Fingers crossed

Well I stand corrected on some of my previous posts :blush:

I have had the good fortune of being able to buy a new Silver pigeon last week which obviously involved having it fitted etc.

I took it out on the clays the same day and to my suprise I got a PB.

My normal average over 100 esp is 50 - 60 call it coincedence or a run of good luck but scored 87!!!!

As I found out in the shop my Lanber was way to short for me had 28" barrels the new SP has 30" and the stock, heel etc is totally different but this has made a huge difference.

I am going clay busting again tomorrow so I guess the proof will be in the pudding really but my sight picture with the SP is much better and I seem to be looking more down the rib than the side of the gun.

Fingers crossed

Are you still using the spots etc, eye dominance and gun fit/suitability are different things (the eye tests are all done with no gun)

Hope the improvement continues....

Are you still using the spots etc, eye dominance and gun fit/suitability are different things (the eye tests are all done with no gun)

Hope the improvement continues....

I foolishly forgot my safety glasses on the day and used the standard bead sight on the gun so had no assistance at all.

Like I said before maybe luck but without any assistance when firing the Lanber I would average 30 - 35

Make from this what you will. :hmm:

Guest cookoff013

i actually have no eye dominance, i can mount the gun and have a multitude of images. either right, right/left blend or left eye. i have to close my left eye.

spots / beads / magic beans wont cure it at all.

but closing one eye will. i live with it and do very well.