Basic training - When to start?

adam f

Ok so I picked my cocker pup up on Fri (meg) and I've had good results following the instructions on here for crate and housetraining.

I know I need to wait a good while before I start and formal gundig training and just need to have fun with the puppy but when should I start teaching sit, recall etc?

Ok so I picked my cocker pup up on Fri (meg) and I've had good results following the instructions on here for crate and housetraining.

I know I need to wait a good while before I start and formal gundig training and just need to have fun with the puppy but when should I start teaching sit, recall etc?

your teaching the dog as soon as you take it home,

learning its name

coming when called

sitting before a meal

One more question on steadyness - I have chickens in the garden and also a few few pheasants that wander in and out - should I be worried about an 8 week old pup chasing and playing with them or should I act early?

act early,the sooner she knows there not to be chased the better

As other have said ok to start simple thing from 8 weeks.As to the chicken etc you have an advantage your pup will soon get used to them :good: being about.Same goes to sheep cattle etc they are in field next to my kennels, they see them everyday so i dont get a prob later when dogs are older.

As other have said ok to start simple thing from 8 weeks.As to the chicken etc you have an advantage your pup will soon get used to them :good: being about.Same goes to sheep cattle etc they are in field next to my kennels, they see them everyday so i dont get a prob later when dogs are older.

Eccles is on the money there and has done a great job with his spaniel I shot over with him.