speying

darren m

following on from the castration post.

i,d like to know if any one as seen any changes in there bitches working ability etc since speying , also body changes.

i have a 3 year springer who as phantoms after every season , which dont bother me really , but thinking more of her and long term.

thanks

We had the terrier x done at 18 months. She was really wierd after her first season and was phantoming, restless, went off her food for some weeks. She was really distressed. So had her speyed and not looked back. It took a month or so for her to get back to "normal" but she has been totally consistant in her behaviour. All the fun is back. No ups or downs, no weight gain. Only marginally quieter but that could be just being a bit older. It was a very good move. Hope this helps.

Edited by turbo33

hi everyone,

We got offered a 'new' technique to spay our bitch at our vets and was wondering if anyone has had it done as we are unsure which option would be best for the dog.

The operation is the same apart from being done by key hole surgery - apparently the dog is not under as long and recovering time is shorter. It is £100 extra which I am not worried by apart from that everyone else I have spoken to had it done the 'old fashioned' way so no one can give me an opinion as to go for it. The bitch is healthy 18 month Lab and I dont want to put her at risk from my bad choice.

Sorry to the OP for hijacking your topic with my question.

Many thanks

Rosebank22

following on from the castration post.

i,d like to know if any one as seen any changes in there bitches working ability etc since speying , also body changes.

i have a 3 year springer who as phantoms after every season , which dont bother me really , but thinking more of her and long term.

thanks

PLEASE TAKE NOTE THIS IS ONLY MY EXPERIENCE I HAVE HAD WITH MY BITCHES over the years i have had two ess spayed and both dogs coats became dull and frizzy and like a bursted couch and they put weight on plus one dog lost a bit of bladder control and dribbled a bit wich made her smell of pee if she was'nt washed .as for working they did slow up but this could do with the weight gain.The way i had to cope was to have the bitches coat clipped in the summer and adjust the dogs diet to keep on top of the weight gain as for the bladder problem it was more noticable when the dog was kept indoors as my dogs are kenneld outside it was'nt to bad to deal with.

PLEASE TAKE NOTE THIS IS ONLY MY EXPERIENCE I HAVE HAD WITH MY BITCHES over the years i have had two ess spayed and both dogs coats became dull and frizzy and like a bursted couch and they put weight on plus one dog lost a bit of bladder control and dribbled a bit wich made her smell of pee if she was'nt washed .as for working they did slow up but this could do with the weight gain.The way i had to cope was to have the bitches coat clipped in the summer and adjust the dogs diet to keep on top of the weight gain as for the bladder problem it was more noticable when the dog was kept indoors as my dogs are kenneld outside it was'nt to bad to deal with.

We had our 8 year springer done at the end of last year and she has piled on a bit of weight too, put that down to getting a bit older but the frizzy coat? Whats that all about? ours has done the same at the top of her legs, this has only happened recently. She had the standard op and to be fare it realy knocked her for six for a few days, for a £100 more if the key hole saved this I would have paid it but it was not offered at our vets. The scar is none existant now though, amazing.

atvb Paul.

Never heard of a dogs coat going frizzy after getting spayed!? Dont know if this will happen to a lab as the coat is shorter - but will have to see.

Think we will go for the key hole to try and available some of the issues you guys have experienced.

Thanks for the advice

Rosebank22

Never heard of a dogs coat going frizzy after getting spayed!? Dont know if this will happen to a lab as the coat is shorter - but will have to see.

Think we will go for the key hole to try and available some of the issues you guys have experienced.

Thanks for the advice

Rosebank22

Hi Yes I had my 8 year old Springer spayed due to phantom pregnaces, and staying in season, afterwords her coat became dull and frizzy along her back sides and belly but not her head and shoulders,we had to cut her diet but the operation vastly improved her quality of life, we also had another one spayed due to piamalitous (probably spelt it wrong) never had any trouble with waterworks with them, though I have heard of it happening.

Mick

frizzy coat is not good , shes a good lucking bitch :)

Anyone ever noticed their bitch slowing down after being speyed , just curious as i read an article in a old book , said possible ruination of a good working bitch was to spey her .

or maybe they were just talking about loosing the chance to breed from such dogs.

Some will go frizzy, it is not an urban myth! It can be kept under control with good grooming and it will depend on what the dogs coat is like to begin with.

Weight gain is IMO a load of cack, feed it less.

Speying a dog won't slow it up IMO.

Some will go frizzy, it is not an urban myth! It can be kept under control with good grooming and it will depend on what the dogs coat is like to begin with.

Weight gain is IMO a load of cack, feed it less.

Speying a dog won't slow it up IMO.

you say weight gain :no: then in the same post FEED IT LESS every bitch i have had done and all the lads i know who have had there dogs done end up with this wieght problem its a fact that you DO have to manage it.and that is'nt just feed it less its a working dog so you have to get the right balance keep the wieght down and the energy levels up and thats can be a trial and error process.

you say weight gain :no: then in the same post FEED IT LESS every bitch i have had done and all the lads i know who have had there dogs done end up with this wieght problem its a fact that you DO have to manage it.and that is'nt just feed it less its a working dog so you have to get the right balance keep the wieght down and the energy levels up and thats can be a trial and error process.

Fair comment, I should have been clearer. People moan about weight gain because they keep feeding exactly the same diet and amounts as they fed before the bitch was speyed, as you say manage the diet to keep the dog the correct weight and condition. My point is that speying a dog does not guarantee weight gain.

Fair comment, I should have been clearer. People moan about weight gain because they keep feeding exactly the same diet and amounts as they fed before the bitch was speyed, as you say manage the diet to keep the dog the correct weight and condition. My point is that speying a dog does not guarantee weight gain.

nee bother :friends: