Whistle commands

ferguson_tom

Hi everyone

My springer pup has been allowed out and about for about a week or so now, i was very happy the other day when we come across another person walking in the other direction, i let my two meet hers and then started walking in opposite directions after a chat. My pup didnt relise but started walking in the wrong direction with the lady abd her dogs, got to about 20 yards away and i gave two pips on the whistle (the recall) and she came storming back to me. I was well chuffed.

Anyway i got thinking what commands people use on the whistle. I am currently using 2 pips for the recall but thinking about it would it be better to use 3 or 4 so she doesnt start coming back as soon as she hears it. What are you using for sit and stop etc, and for future left and right etc. Also hand signals I am using hand open facing towards her for sit and out to my side for the recall.

Thanks in advance

Edited by ferguson_tom

Tom, if you've used two pips for the recall and one blast for the stop, what whistles are you going to use for the housetraining commands? :lol: ('Bout got that mastered, I reckon?)

One blast, stop or hup whistle; two pips, come about (or hie on when casting); three tweets in sequence, come-in whistle.

Good luck, and don't fret about the dog confusing the whistle commands - if you "blow" them resonantly enough.

MG

With respect to people - dogs are not deaf - they do not need a load blast of the whistle, soft quiet whistle commands, same as soft quiet voice commands and your dog will learn to listen in for the commands - if you always blast the whistle all the time, what do you do when it all goes wrong? - I can sop my pointers at a couple of hundred yards with a gentle pip on the whistle - no need to blow your lungs out.

You have all seen and heard people in the line blasting their whistle constantly - but what about the guy/girl who quietly uses their whistle - I bet you a pound their dog is more responsive to them :good:

Mike