Casio Watches

Spara Dritto

Which watch to take hiking in Brunei   

8 members have voted

1. 1. Which To Go For.

• g-5500al-1er (£77.50)
    • 1545 (£60.00)

Hi,

I'm looking at getting a new watch, but I can't decide out of these 2.

I want it to be rugged and strong as I'm planning a hiking trp to Brunei next year and camping in the rainforest.

The main thing I can't decide on is the case type....

The more expensive one is stainless steel, the less expensive it Resin.

Have we got any watch experts out there who can help make my choice?

Also, the cheaper watch is battery powered, the more expensive is solar. How reliable are solar watches?

Many thanks,

SD

g-5500al-1er (£77.50)

http://www.brandprix.com/casio-black-dial-black-resin-strap-g-shock-alife-limited-edition-mens-watch-g-5500al-1er.html

or

1545 (£60.00)

http://www.brandprix.com/casio-matt-black-military-spec-night-vision-display-g-shock-mens-watch-dw-5600ms-1dr.html

Edited by Spara Dritto

Neither...

I cant recommend a casio as I have none in my Collection but I do have this

http://www.timex.co.uk/product_description.aspx?pid=228&id=61

which I use when outdoors, hiking, fishing or just general country pursuits...

Has an added advantage of Indiglo facility so just press a button and you can tell the time in the dark, you can get the altimeter version also if you want.

My experience of the Solar watches... Citizen ecodrive in particular is that they are not too reliable...I am infact repairing a perpetual calender mans watch and a date adjust womans watch as I type this.. one has a problem with the cell the other water resistant issues and a broken clasp.

The Cell life on the timex is 2 - 3 years and they are ultra reliable.. George Bush used to wear an Indiglo as did Bill Clinton.

On ebay at the moment with 2 and a bit hours to go...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Timex-WS4-Expedition-Watch-/190630915497?pt=UK_Jewelery_Watches_Watches_MensWatches_GL&hash=item2c627ceda9

shop around for the best deals..

Edited by Fisherman Mike

Hi Fish,

Thanks very much for your reply.

The reason I picked these to is because of the looks, I'm very particular when it comes to picking a watch.

If you where to pick out of the 2, which would you advise? You seem to know your stuff!

Many thanks,

SD

Take my advice and pick a watch for an expedition for its functionality rather than its looks... :yes:

Of the two I would get the Battery operated...make sure however it has a new cell fitted when you buy it...sometimes they Have been in stock or displayed for a long period and the cell runs out soon after you get it. ;)

Hi SD

I had the plastic covered stainless version G Shock for many many years, It got used and abused lots, in the end the plastic cover fell to bits,I still wore it just as stainless, about 12 years in all, The worse thing was the plastic straps, they only lasted about 3 years each. All in all a very good watch.

Hope this helps.

Mick. :good:

I've had a couple of Timex expedition watches in the past the indigo light clinched it also bought the wife the ladies one, my first one gave me a terrible rash when the aluminium case reacted and oxidised after swimming and general use, the replacement had some fast setting thing where you pulled the crown out and turned the bezel to set it this also soon knacked up after getting sand in it working in Spain after returning to the shop and being told its not meant to be used in sea and sand put me off Timex. My wife's performed well for her. I now use lorus Lumibrite watches for general work and knocking about, never take it off for bathing or swimming only thing it's needed in five years is new batteries.

ATB figgy

Mate with my job my watches get battered on a daily basis! Ive had loads of different watches over the years and the best one I've had and most of the lads I work with use is the suunto core! There fatastic just have a look at the functions, they are about £200 but like everything you get what you pay for!

You change your battery yourself so costs about £3.50

Royal

My experience of the Solar watches... Citizen ecodrive in particular is that they are not too reliable...I am infact repairing a perpetual calender mans watch and a date adjust womans watch as I type this.. one has a problem with the cell the other water resistant issues and a broken clasp.

Mike, either you've been unlucky or I've been lucky. I have two Citizen Ecodrive watches, one about 5 years old, the other about 2, and both are working perfectly. I'd recommend these to anybody, can't speak for other makes.

got to have a longines hydroconquest. £790 i know but totally shockproof (i have sledgehammered walls wearing it), waterproof and looks great. beautiful machining as well and looks discreet. finally i think its a once in a lifetime purchase plus you never need to change batteries as its automatic. also, i know you mentioned hiking, but as your in rainforest, doing any swimming as it has special extending clasp for wetsuits. also bracelet expands due to temperature so never goes tight.

Mate with my job my watches get battered on a daily basis! Ive had loads of different watches over the years and the best one I've had and most of the lads I work with use is the suunto core! There fatastic just have a look at the functions, they are about £200 but like everything you get what you pay for!

You change your battery yourself so costs about £3.50

Royal

I have a suunto Core all black... wouldn't swap it for the world... and as stated, battery swap out is very easy and DIY... The ONLY negative is that they are slightly too chunky to wear comfortably with a shirt so, in the winter, when I'm in long sleeved shirts and suit jackets I have to wear something else or nothing at all, but the rest of the time never leaves my wrist.

All that said though, it's 3 x the OPs original budget but as you say, you get what you pay for! :yes: