Bigger than A 50cal......

Daveo26

At approximately 38,000 foot-pounds of kinetic energy, the 20mm Vulcan round fired out of the Anzio Rifle has over three times the power of the .50 BMG cartridge fired out of a comparable rifle, which is around 12,200 foot pounds of kinetic energy. The 600 Nitro Express, the second most powerful African Big Game Gun cartridge, and one of the most common, has around 8,200 foot pounds of kinetic energy, making the Anzio Rifle in 20mm Vulcan about 4.8 times as powerful as the 600 Nitro Express.

Just found this

Why the **** are Americans playing with guns like that?

At approximately 38,000 foot-pounds of kinetic energy, the 20mm Vulcan round fired out of the Anzio Rifle has over three times the power of the .50 BMG cartridge fired out of a comparable rifle, which is around 12,200 foot pounds of kinetic energy. The 600 Nitro Express, the second most powerful African Big Game Gun cartridge, and one of the most common, has around 8,200 foot pounds of kinetic energy, making the Anzio Rifle in 20mm Vulcan about 4.8 times as powerful as the 600 Nitro Express.

Just found this

Why the **** are Americans playing with guns like that?

Because..we can? :D

:rolleyes:

Its an anti-tank gun, it belongs on a battlefield.

And you kids would like to play with one :oops:

This reminds me of the GSG thread.

I forget how childish some of you are :lol:

See, I keep my guns to shoot various things. Game, vermin.

Not to impress my mates down the range. :good:

Range wallers should only be allowed .22 lrs :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited by Daveo26

:rolleyes:

Its an anti-tank gun, it belongs on a battlefield.

And you kids would like to play with one :oops:

This reminds me of the GSG thread.

I forget how childish some of you are :lol:

See, I keep my guns to shoot various things. Game, vermin.

Not to impress my mates down the range. :good:

Range wallers should only be allowed .22 lrs :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Are you trying to say you wouldn't try that out if given the chance? I don't believe you.

Honestly? not really ! Unless had some anti material use for it.

Although im not against have a go with something people are curious by nature.

I just don't understand why any sane person would want to own something like that.

I wouldn't shoot it it looks uncomfortable and loud

I just don't understand why any sane person would want to own something like that.

The recoil isn't as bad as you might think due to the weight. The Barrett M82 is said to have recoil equivalent to a 12 gauge loaded with 00 buck.

As for the reason of owning one, it's mostly a rich mans range toy. You can't just walk into a gun store and buy one. Even if you could, the price would be prohibitive. I'm sure that thing goes for at least $20,000. The Barrett M82 goes for 9-10K, not including the scope.

The recoil isn't as bad as you might think due to the weight. The Barrett M82 is said to have recoil equivalent to a 12 gauge loaded with 00 buck.

As for the reason of owning one, it's mostly a rich mans range toy. You can't just walk into a gun store and buy one. Even if you could, the price would be prohibitive. I'm sure that thing goes for at least $20,000. The Barrett M82 goes for 9-10K, not including the scope.

Are there any restrictions on caliber? I know you have to jump through hoops for fully autos but do the rules say at some point im sorry sir you cant have a shoulder cannon?

For the record I would love to sling a couple of rounds from it at my old car :rolleyes:

I've yet to meet a shooter who would refuse an opportunity to fire something different. If given half an opportunity to fire one of these, I'd dive on it. It would take a year for my grin to recede!

Are there any restrictions on caliber? I know you have to jump through hoops for fully autos but do the rules say at some point im sorry sir you cant have a shoulder cannon?

For the record I would love to sling a couple of rounds from it at my old car :rolleyes:

Depends on the state as to whether its legal or not. A 20mm is classed as a destructive device and you need a licence endorsement which costs around $250 or so. Its more complicated than that of course as the "destructive device" regulations do not apply based on projectile size alone, but also primary purpose of the round. I reckon thats it, in a nutshell.

TBH, you dont really have to jump through hoops for a select fire/automatic weapon really, its fairly simple if you have a clean background. You need permission from the ATF and also from the head of the local police. Oh and you have to pay a tax. Other than that, its not an issue for most people, well, except cost as fully automatic guns are rather expensive due to limited supply, I think around $10-15k for a registered fully automatic drop in sear for an M16 for example.

Never had the desire to spend the money myself as I'm not sure I see the point of it, but several friends have been through the process and enjoy the rather unusual pass time of fully automatic target practice. Each to their own.

The 20mm does look rather painful.

Speaking of bigger than .50cal, has anyone seen .959 JDJ? I believe thats a derivative of the 20mm too.....rather erm, sizeable.

Depends on the state as to whether its legal or not. A 20mm is classed as a destructive device and you need a licence endorsement which costs around $250 or so. Its more complicated than that of course as the "destructive device" regulations do not apply based on projectile size alone, but also primary purpose of the round. I reckon thats it, in a nutshell.

TBH, you dont really have to jump through hoops for a select fire/automatic weapon really, its fairly simple if you have a clean background. You need permission from the ATF and also from the head of the local police. Oh and you have to pay a tax. Other than that, its not an issue for most people, well, except cost as fully automatic guns are rather expensive due to limited supply, I think around $10-15k for a registered fully automatic drop in sear for an M16 for example.

Never had the desire to spend the money myself as I'm not sure I see the point of it, but several friends have been through the process and enjoy the rather unusual pass time of fully automatic target practice. Each to their own.

Speaking of bigger than .50cal, has anyone seen .959 JDJ? I believe thats a derivative of the 20mm too.....rather erm, sizeable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Title_II_weapons#Machine_Guns

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Firearms_Act

Cheers for the reply