First Fac

Jolly

Do you have an FAC? If not, then you need to think about getting one before deciding what FAC gun you need. If you have, I think you will get all the recommendations you need when the crowd come on later, just have to decide who is right (puts tin hat on :lol: ).

Hi Jolly !

If your going to apply for an FAC and your going rabbit shooting I would go for a either a Ruger 10/22 .22LR cheap, easy to upgrade (triggers, barrels, stocks etc) and there as tough as old boots,, mines been a used as a field gun all its life and still nails rabbits at 120 yds with subsonics and looks as good as new, Also for an out of the box cheap and accurate gun the merlin model 60's are also a pretty impressive 10 shot semi auto.

As a foot note dont forget to add a modertor on the FAC application in needs to be on there if you intend to use one, i would also add a .223 rifle and .223 moderator for the purpose of pest control and foxing whilst making the application

Dave :good:

post-54326-0-98987600-1328106892.jpg

The land (I assume) is already cleared, so you are already halfway. You have good reason (shooting rabbits for the national trust) and you already have a shotgun certificate. All you need to do is put down what you want on your application and thats it. As always, rifle/scoppe choice is personal. I went for a CZ as it is cheap and tough, mine gets slung over my shoulder and I shoot off the quad all the time, it has got a few battle scars, but give me a bunny within 100 yards and down it goes. Pin point accurate, ive tuned the trigger, got a moderator on the end (standard if using subsonics) and a good Meopta scope. (get the best scope you can afford). Get a .17HMR if you can as they are good bunny tools and extend 3 times the range of a .22, BUT a lot louder. Every rifle you ask for, ask for a moderator too, so ask for .22rf and mod, .17HMR and mod. 22-250 and mod ect. Again, right place, right tool. I go for the .22 90% of the time and take my .22-250 if I bump into any foxes on my rounds. If you can get a centrefire then great, but depending on experience this will be up to your FEO on your first application. If its national trust they will probably have deer managers there, but I suppose after time you could see if you could help witht he cull and get a deer legal rifle. If you want a centrefire go for a .22-250 or a .223. for foxes and Muntjac/CWD. Any other help, just PM me, Good luck, James.

Hi All, I am a regular shooter both clays and driven game but have recently been invited to shoot rabbits on some national trust land where their stipulation is FAC .22 with moderator. what (cheap) recomendations do you have ?

CZ 452 (.22 Rimfire) with a short barrel std .22 subsonic ammo just about any rimfire designated moddy will do the job. Get your permission invite in letter format and put your application in (remember moderators are classed as a firearm in thier own right and need requesting as such) Ammo 500 to buy and 600 to keep. If you havent got a safe with an internal lock box then you will neeed an ammo safe as they cannot be stored with the gun but unlike shotgun shells must be locked away

Second hand in good nick £450 will get you a nice one with scope and moddy if you shop around, cheaper if you aint bothered about condition too much.

The land (I assume) is already cleared, so you are already halfway. You have good reason (shooting rabbits for the national trust) and you already have a shotgun certificate. All you need to do is put down what you want on your application and thats it. As always, rifle/scoppe choice is personal. I went for a CZ as it is cheap and tough, mine gets slung over my shoulder and I shoot off the quad all the time, it has got a few battle scars, but give me a bunny within 100 yards and down it goes. Pin point accurate, ive tuned the trigger, got a moderator on the end (standard if using subsonics) and a good Meopta scope. (get the best scope you can afford). Get a .17HMR if you can as they are good bunny tools and extend 3 times the range of a .22, BUT a lot louder. Every rifle you ask for, ask for a moderator too, so ask for .22rf and mod, .17HMR and mod. 22-250 and mod ect. Again, right place, right tool. I go for the .22 90% of the time and take my .22-250 if I bump into any foxes on my rounds. If you can get a centrefire then great, but depending on experience this will be up to your FEO on your first application. If its national trust they will probably have deer managers there, but I suppose after time you could see if you could help witht he cull and get a deer legal rifle. If you want a centrefire go for a .22-250 or a .223. for foxes and Muntjac/CWD. Any other help, just PM me, Good luck, James.

Just for lol's My longest Rabbit with a .22LR Subsonic was 127 meters 4-16 x 50 mildot, £10 says your .17HMR isn't going to slay a bunny at 381 meters with one shot :) no offence inteded 12borejimbo

It's difficult, but doable.

I would say it's doable too, my nearest miss with a .22LR CCi Mini Mag was 289 meters with a pretty major back stop so no worries about a stray round (hold over was ridiculous) but calculated as best i could, the plume of dust and the back flip from the rabbit made me think i'd nailed a lucky shot, but no rabbit, so no glory :( if i had of got it then i would challenge a .17HMR to triple the distance 867 meters.........and defo win the £10

Guess my underlying argument is, I, you and probably most rimfire shooters zero said guns in at 50 to 100 meters and with some practice and experience a little hold under or hold over gives you and effective and 'SAFE' range from about 35 - 130 meters give or take a little.

And if you came across a rabbit at 300+ meters the chances of hitting it would be without doubt nothing more than 'A Lucky Shot'

My point - Lol I have no idea :)

Edited by sepulchre