part worn tyres

mikky

We had a window cleaner who came once a month - never saw him for three months then he turned up with a mate - my driver he said - Had a blowout on motorway and rolled it - cops did me for drink driving - so asked about blow out - Yes he said - bought a used tyre - couldn't believe it blew he said - where did you get it - Now I kid you not -- Jacko's used tyres :huh: :huh: :huh: They are in phone book .

dave

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A mate of mine, Gary had a garage in North London. They used to get people turning out his bins knicking the old brake pads. How sad is that? In the end he used to spray them with oil, still they went, amazing what people will fit on their cars to save money.

Dear oh dear, you do tell a good tale. :lol::lol::lol: Don't give up your day job just yer though. :no::no:

Your obviously in the know about the stresses and strains of removal and refitting a tyre from one rim to another by an unknown "Tyre Fitter"

I'd sooner pay the £30 extra for a new one than a Quick trip to a "HIGHER LEVEL" dont fancy a trip to saint peter myself

Maybe i'm Wrong ?

30 Years in the Motor trade tells me I'M RIGHT !!!!

40 years in the motor trade tells me YOU'RE WRONG.

Exactly, why do people assume that used tyres are any less good than the yours were 10k previously, or that they are fitted by morons?

It's like Groundhog Day. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've had a few tyres fitted by morons. I've had wheel nuts tightened so much the drums have distorted. I did swear.

Not quite in your league yet but seems I can tell the wheat from the chaff.

Car dealer as mentioned already, and I sleep like a baby every night knowing full well I've sold used cars with used tyres with no traceable history. :lol: :lol:

Your missing the point

To remove a tyre from one rim and stick it on another Will cause damage and its False economy

Thats what i'm trying to get across

Again any body can call themselves a "Car Dealer"

I'm a Transport Technician with 30 Years in the trade FULLY qualified in Motor Vehicle maintenance and Repair

Stick to "Sales" and sleep like a Baby !!

A mate of mine, Gary had a garage in North London. They used to get people turning out his bins knicking the old brake pads. How sad is that? In the end he used to spray them with oil, still they went, amazing what people will fit on their cars to save money.

You'd love Cuba Vince. You should see how they keep their rides going out there. We've a few Cuban friends one of which works on cruise ships. He's privileged to be allowed to own a car. Its a late 90's golf which out there is like a Bentley. He buys oil when they dock and changes it annually when he's home. The waste oil is then sold on to grateful punters.

Sorry to go off topic

Your missing the point

To remove a tyre from one rim and stick it on another Will cause damage and its False economy

I'm a Transport Technician with 30 Years in the trade FULLY qualified in Motor Vehicle maintenance and Repair

So you are saying that fitting a new tyre will cause damage too!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your missing the point

If you believe what you say then not reporting the lethal, illicit trade in used tyres and the resultant deaths could leave you exposed to culpability charges. I beckon you to inform the authorities while I sleep soundly.

tyre history is simply explained , whats it done since first fitted hit a kerb at 10mph ? 20 mph ? etc etc if you own the tyre from new fitting you know its history buy a part worn once owned by a n other you dont have a clue .

So whenever you bump something at over 9 mph you promptly pop over to Quickfit then? Or at the very least keep a small log of such occurrences and dutifully inform the guy you're selling your car to or part exchanging etc.!!??

So whenever you bump something at over 9 mph you promptly pop over to Quickfit then? Or at the very least keep a small log of such occurrences and dutifully inform the guy you're selling your car to or part exchanging etc.!!??

I keep a log of such occurrences, surely you do!! :lol::lol:

In some ways I agree with not using part worn tyres as you don't know the history of them, but I have to ask all of you who say that a question:

If you are driving your car tomorrow and hit a kerb or deep pothole etc will you then go down to the nearest garage and replace that tyre?

I strongly suspect that the answer is no, so what is the difference between having one one your car that you may have hit on something, or your wife/partner etc may have hit and buying one which also could have been hit on something. The difference is that before fitting a part worn you can look at it properly from the inside for damage!

I'm not saying they are a good or bad thing, but it's just something to think about. I don't use them on my car, I do like to know the history but it's mainly because I don't like the hassle of changing them, I go through tyres fairly quickly and don't like fitting something that's lost the best part of it already. I can also choose exactly what sort goes on my car for the best grip.

I'd happily use them on a car that would be sold before I wore them out and obviously not being bothered about what sort they are, or on a trailer.

i dont bump things at any speed ,(well not yet) if i did and had aworry about it i would sort it (over to quickfit) if i did sell a car it is then up to the new owner to sort any things he as a problem with out, if its not right at the sale time he would surely not buy it

i dont bump things at any speed ,(well not yet) if i did and had aworry about it i would sort it (over to quickfit) if i did sell a car it is then up to the new owner to sort any things he as a problem with out, if its not right at the sale time he would surely not buy it

You have a very appropriate avatar :good::good:

In some ways I agree with not using part worn tyres as you don't know the history of them, but I have to ask all of you who say that a question:

If you are driving your car tomorrow and hit a kerb or deep pothole etc will you then go down to the nearest garage and replace that tyre?

I strongly suspect that the answer is no, so what is the difference between having one one your car that you may have hit on something, or your wife/partner etc may have hit and buying one which also could have been hit on something. The difference is that before fitting a part worn you can look at it properly from the inside for damage!

I'm not saying they are a good or bad thing, but it's just something to think about. I don't use them on my car, I do like to know the history but it's mainly because I don't like the hassle of changing them, I go through tyres fairly quickly and don't like fitting something that's lost the best part of it already. I can also choose exactly what sort goes on my car for the best grip.

I'd happily use them on a car that would be sold before I wore them out and obviously not being bothered about what sort they are, or on a trailer.

I Feel its Wrong to fit second hand tyres on Road Vehicles, its False economy, and you really dont know the history, if people with City and Guilds Motor Vehicle Craft studies (involving Two Hard Years Day release at "college") feel i'm wrong then So be it.

It is just My Professional Opinion but there you go maybe my C an G MVCS I II III and Technicians years 3,4 and 5 and CPC and Bla Bla Bla i could list Ten or More Professional Qulifications O and Two Years as Transport Manager for a Fleet of 200 Vehicles from light vans to 38 ton 44 ft units and trailers

are Wrong

Make your own minds up , Your life is in Your hands