Slow Cooker Recipes

Cosd

Ok guys and gals, bought myself a slow cooker, Breville 6.5 litre, never had one before and cooked twice last week with it and loved both times.

First attempt was

Butter beans

Potatoes

onions

Celery

Carrots

Tinned tomatoes

Chicken stock

Fresh flat leaf parsley

Seasoning

That was our first attempt and was really pleased with the richness in flavours

Second attempt

Lamb shanks

Potatoes

Tomatoes

Bay leaf

Seasoning

Very tender and again delicious flavours

Very basic recipes and totally made up. Do any of you connoisseur's have any tried and tested recipes you can recomend?

I'd also be interested in any pigeon recipes if there are any. Would love to get the wife and younger daughter to enjoy pigeon as nothing has worked so far.

Cos

the big thing with slow cookers as in the process of cooking it produces its own steam so dont cover everything in liquid it doesnt need it and everything comes out like soup....levi roots recipe for jamaican pepper pot is a beaut in a slow cooker just change meat for any other protein you want, i have done it with duck,pheasant,pork,beef,venison,goat, hearts and liver

enjoy :yes: :yes:

This is one of the cookbooks we (royal) use - Ultimate Slow Cooker by Sara Lewis, published by Hamlyn ISBN 978-0-600-61895-9, price £9.99. As said previously most recipes are adaptable for different meats.

Just googled it,Amazon have it for £5.99 and you can also take a peek inside the book too. Here's the link

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0600618951/?tag=googhydr-21&hvadid=4796084479&ref=pd_sl_9bwhub0n3s_e#_

Edited by PhilR

My favourite for the slow cooker is pork belly... But when it is still on the ribs.

We get ours (used to, she's now got rid of them all) from my aunt, and so we could get them cut however we wanted, but most butchers should do the same. Make sure that the ribs are individual (fits in the cooker easier) and then just drop them in, add some salt and I like to pop in a dash of balsamic vinegar as well, then turn the slow cooker on to medium and cook for at least 7hrs.

When the meat is falling off the bone take out of the slow cooker and place on a tray with skin-side up. Rub salt into the skin and then whack under a pre-heated grill until you have AWESOME crackling!!

Whilst that is grilling keep the juices in the cooker, and then add a spoonful of natural yoghurt and mix together. It may look nasty and split to start with but the more you mix it the smoother it becomes!!

Enjoy with mash, or roasties, or whatever you like!!

If you try it, let me know what you think!

Robo

This is one of the cookbooks we (royal) use - Ultimate Slow Cooker by Sara Lewis, published by Hamlyn ISBN 978-0-600-61895-9, price £9.99. As said previously most recipes are adaptable for different meats.

Just googled it,Amazon have it for £5.99 and you can also take a peek inside the book too. Here's the link

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0600618951/?tag=googhydr-21&hvadid=4796084479&ref=pd_sl_9bwhub0n3s_e#_

Cheers for that Phil, book on order!

My favourite for the slow cooker is pork belly... But when it is still on the ribs.

We get ours (used to, she's now got rid of them all) from my aunt, and so we could get them cut however we wanted, but most butchers should do the same. Make sure that the ribs are individual (fits in the cooker easier) and then just drop them in, add some salt and I like to pop in a dash of balsamic vinegar as well, then turn the slow cooker on to medium and cook for at least 7hrs.

When the meat is falling off the bone take out of the slow cooker and place on a tray with skin-side up. Rub salt into the skin and then whack under a pre-heated grill until you have AWESOME crackling!!

Whilst that is grilling keep the juices in the cooker, and then add a spoonful of natural yoghurt and mix together. It may look nasty and split to start with but the more you mix it the smoother it becomes!!

Enjoy with mash, or roasties, or whatever you like!!

If you try it, let me know what you think!

Robo

Will definitely try this one, I love pork belly and that sounds delicious

Thanks Robo

Recent slow cooker convert here. I live away from home midweek and find its great to lob a load of stuff in before I go to work and then come back in the evening to fantastic smells and great food. I usually stick the left overs in foil trays and freeze them so I get 3 or 4 meals for hardly any effort.

Tommorow I'm trying lamb shanks. It's not a recipe, I'm winging it so fingers crossed it will work. I browned 2 lamb shanks in a pan and put them in the cooker on top of some chopped tatties and carrots. I added a tin of chopped tomatoes, 2 lamb stock cubes, half a bottle of cheap red wine, some chopped fresh rosemary, salt and pepper and a little water.

I'll switch it on tommorow morning, and let you know tommorow night how its worked. Kebab shop number on speed dial as back up!

Edited by Blunderbuss

Recent slow cooker convert here. I live away from home midweek and find its great to lob a load of stuff in before I go to work and then come back in the evening to fantastic smells and great food. I usually stick the left overs in foil trays and freeze them so I get 3 or 4 meals for hardly any effort.

Tommorow I'm trying lamb shanks. It's not a recipe, I'm winging it so fingers crossed it will work. I browned 2 lamb shanks in a pan and put them in the cooker on top of some chopped tatties and carrots. I added a tin of chopped tomatoes, 2 lamb stock cubes, half a bottle of cheap red wine, some chopped fresh rosemary, salt and pepper and a little water.

I'll switch it on tommorow morning, and let you know tommorow night how its worked. Kebab shop number on speed dial as back up!

Awesome! :yes:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi cosd.

I had the same problem with my family. Heres a recipe you might like to try. Pigeon Pate.

10 pigeon breasts.

12 fresh sage leaves.

7oz chicken livers.

a splash of sherry vinegar.

1 tablespoon brandy.

7oz butter.

4fluid ounces double cream.

Heat the butter in a pan, until it starts frothing.

Throw in the breasts and chopped sage leaves.

cook breasts for 2 minutes on each side.

take breasts out of pan and allow to rest.

cook chicken livers2-3 mins.

pour brandy and splash of sherry vinegar into pan.

chop pigeon breasts into four bits and along with chicken livers, and liquid out of pan put into liquidiser.

Whizz up till really fine.

pour cream into the mixture, and stir in.

Place into small dishes allow to cool. I find the chinese sauce containers are very good.

Chill and serve up with french stick and home made piccalili.

ENJOY. Big Tel.