BASC Council Elections ?

Kes

David, you are a very naughty boy!!

Seriousy though guys, I've set up a blog to show what I'm about. If you interested in gundog issues do take a look. Maybe you might feel, as I do, that there is already a strong wildfowl

representation on the council and that there is also a need a new blood, new ideas. In that case, you might give me the nod?

Its www.martynparfittforbasc.wordpress.com

Mart.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DO NOT WASTE YOUR VOTE.

This is all about tactical voting because that is the way it is set up. Get John Graham & Alan Jarrett elected firstly, once back on Council these two will sort out the dross.

Many of the elected Council members have gone on council to pad out their personal CV and nothing else, for years many council members have voted with the party line just because they are too lazy to even think things through.

Martyn Parfitt with all due respect Sir, I would like you to continue to seek election, but please not at the expense of the above mentioned candidates. The membership as a whole have no idea of the amount of good that John Graham did in his previous term and Alan Jarrett is so passionate about all shooting and he can do so much to support John Graham.

Please read all the candidates bio's but please do not be duped by grandiose words, only written to impress you. Check out who they really are and what they really do for shooting sports.

I have to agree wholeheartedly with Salopian.

Whilst I`ve never met Martyn and I`m sure he`s a splendid fellow I have to say that, with the exception of tail docking and the threat of universal chipping, there are no gundog issues currently on the go which might reasonably require a dedicated council member or which cannot be handled by already existing BASC departments.

Some years ago BASC considered starting up a dedicated gundog membership section but the idea foundered through lack of support. It really is difficult to see how someone standing on a gundog "ticket" can bring anything new to the table. Whilst gundogs are of vital importance to shooting, they are secondary to the right to own a gun in the first instance and having somewhere to use it in the second.

Why would I want to vote for someone who`s stated intent in standing for Council is to immediately take his eye off the political ball, as above, and start looking for problems that currently don`t exist!

I`m never sure what "new blood" exactly means. Is it the suggestion that the existing council are so moribund and devoid of ideas that only the new blood can see the wood for the trees and is going to magic us out of our current problems with his superior intellect?

Whilst the new blood will take months to figure out the political landscape and personal alliegencies of BASC council, wasting valuable time in so doing, Jarrett and Graham, with their previous knowledge of who is doing what to whom will be hitting hard on your behalf the moment their bums hit the seats around the council table.

There are only two candidates worth your vote.... Graham and Jarrett.

Edited by mudpatten

Wildfowling needs better representation.

Gundogs are already well represented.

BASC has been very successful at defending gundog issues. The most dramatic examples were when the draft anti-hunting bills were going through both the Scottish and UK parliaments, it was only BASC-sponsored amendments that prevented the final legislation effectively banning the use of more than one gundog when roughshooting or beating. The work done by BASC on tail docking is another example where success was obtained in England and should shortly arive in Scotland.

In contrast, wildfowlers have seen their guns and cartridges retricted, their quarry species reduced and available fowling land greatly reduced.

The "gundog candidate" would have more credibility if he served on BASC's gundog committee for a few years to see just how much BASC already does for gundogs. Wildfowlers have much more urgent needs.

Vote for Graham and Jarrett and don't use your third vote.

(Wildfowling needs better representation

Gundogs are already well represented.)

Of the 17 listed council members on the BASC website as at Feb 2012, 9 show their main interest as wildfowling. Not one member comes from a background of working dogs or lists working dogs as an interest. Exactly how does this equate to WF needing better representation and gundog interests already being well represented?

As to becoming a member of the Gundog Advisory Committee to gain crebibility... the last reference to this committee meeting was at council minutes in June 2010 when a new chair was appointed to that committee. Since then, no record of meetings.

I'm perfect prepared to accept that the two aforementioned candidates are of the highest quality and would be a real asset to council. However, I would ask contributors not to resort to personally insulting me and to refrain from using spurious facts and claims to attempt to persuade readers to vote against me rather than for a candidate of their choice.

I quite understand the argument that wildfowling needs a strong voice and that it is the discipline that feels under the most immediate threat. But, you have three votes, if it is your wish to vote as suggested above then you must do so, but dont disqualify me from receiving your third vote just because you are led to believe that working gundog owners do not need representation, they do!

Mart.

The thread is intentionally for opinions and interest, for the candidates to use even but please dont try to use it to get all 'labour' on the readers. "Dont waste your vote".

Salopian i'm surprised; fired my first 12 near Market Drayton as well !!!

Its a free country, lets try and keep it that way.

Kes,

I'm afraid you've lost me a little with your thread?

" Don't waste your vote" was intended to point out that your vote would be better cast for candidates with a proven record of efficiency rather than voting for a candidate that promises the earth in their manifesto but once elected does nothing. There have been a number of those elected over the years. By voting for a no-hoper just because they are perhaps some one that you know slightly will dilute the voting and possibly cause a good guy to miss being elected.

You are correct in saying that it is a free country, so let us stop the political wranglings that go on behind closed doors and vote for people that will give BASC Council transparency.

Don't forget that you can vote online, I just did.

webber

Me too. Very quick, very simple :good:

may I ask you what,in your opinion, are the necessary qualities for the Chief Executive officer of BASC?

'Come to bed' eyes and massive bangers?

I am a Wildfowler and have been for 30+ years but will NOT be voting for Alan Jarett (and yes I have my reasons for this) BASC did start its life as WAGBI (Formed by Stanley Ducan) and we still have possibly lost a few things throughout the last few years and the Fowlers amongst us want to be well represented, but other parts of our 'traditions' have lost plenty too, due to previous governments and anti blood sport parties. I would suggest BASC have a good cross section of people to represent 'all' parts of our sport. I will reserve the right to divulge where my vote will be going at this point.

Question for Martyn, where do you see (as a candidate) your priorities are at this point in time if elected and where do you see the next threat coming from. Also, if elected how will you make a difference? Good luck with your campaign for election.

In a Chief Exec; A question prompted, I presume by the forthcoming retirement of John Swift. CEs should possess qualities such as;

1.Recognise people‘s efforts.

Effective leaders praise the work of their managers, the staff, the volunteers and local branches. As monetary rewards are less significant in the third sector, personal recognition is all the more critical.

2.Develop a power base.

The chief executive‘s power depends primarily on maintaining the confidence of the council, the staff, and in most cases the broader membership as well. That implies both serving them well and, more importantly, gaining and maintaining their confidence. This requires chief executives to demonstrate that they are in command of the organisation‘s affairs.

3.Use authority effectively.

4.Use the power of the position.

People in positions of power, particularly those recently appointed, often shun the trappings of power. This is an understandable reaction particularly in organisations with a long history such as BASC has. It can nevertheless be short-sighted because, like it or not, the status attached to the post is one source of the chief executive’s influence.

5.Build a reputation.

Members, staff and outside organisations who are going to come into contact with our CE will respect chief executives who have a reputation in their field of endeavour. Chief executives who have the expertise to make press comments or give speeches strengthen their position within their organisations. They gain a reputation by networking with co-ordinating groups and by building a profile in their field.

6.Develop skills and abilities.

Good Leaders constantly strive to increase their expertise both as managers and as people who understand the detail of their field of endeavour.

7.Develop clear personal objectives.

Leaders must have a burning desire to achieve specific objectives. They are clear about what they want the organisation to accomplish and how they are going to help others to realise it. When this is coupled with a passionate belief in what the organisation can do, it rubs off on everyone else.

8.Communicate with stakeholders ie members.

Leaders listen to others and the language they use. They put great emphasis on communicating a vision of the future in language that people can understand. The person appointed will take every opportunity to communicate in person and in writing with as many members as possible.

9.Develop a positive self-image.

Effective leaders are confident of their abilities. They strive to increase confidence in themselves and in others. They are optimistic. They get into a virtuous circle in which their success feeds their self image, which in turn leads to further success.

10.Combine vision with attention to detail.

Leaders judge correctly when to focus on the big picture and when detail has to be given attention.

Hope that answers your question.

Edited by Mymwood

In a Chief Exec; A question prompted, I presume by the forthcoming retirement of John Swift. CEs should possess qualities such as;

Effective leaders praise the work of their managers, the staff, the volunteers and local branches. As monetary rewards are less significant in the third sector, personal recognition is all the more critical.

2.Develop a power base.

The chief executive‘s power depends primarily on maintaining the confidence of the council, the staff, and in most cases the broader membership as well. That implies both serving them well and, more importantly, gaining and maintaining their confidence. This requires chief executives to demonstrate that they are in command of the organisation‘s affairs.

People in positions of power, particularly those recently appointed, often shun the trappings of power. This is an understandable reaction particularly in organisations with a long history such as BASC has. It can nevertheless be short-sighted because, like it or not, the status attached to the post is one source of the chief executive’s influence.

5.Build a reputation.

Members, staff and outside organisations who are going to come into contact with our CE will respect chief executives who have a reputation in their field of endeavour. Chief executives who have the expertise to make press comments or give speeches strengthen their position within their organisations. They gain a reputation by networking with co-ordinating groups and by building a profile in their field.

Good Leaders constantly strive to increase their expertise both as managers and as people who understand the detail of their field of endeavour.

Leaders must have a burning desire to achieve specific objectives. They are clear about what they want the organisation to accomplish and how they are going to help others to realise it. When this is coupled with a passionate belief in what the organisation can do, it rubs off on everyone else.

Leaders listen to others and the language they use. They put great emphasis on communicating a vision of the future in language that people can understand. The person appointed will take every opportunity to communicate in person and in writing with as many members as possible.

Effective leaders are confident of their abilities. They strive to increase confidence in themselves and in others. They are optimistic. They get into a virtuous circle in which their success feeds their self image, which in turn leads to further success.

Leaders judge correctly when to focus on the big picture and when detail has to be given attention.

Home | Services | People | Publications | Knowledge | About us | Contact us | Privacy

What's the bit at the bottom about ^^^^^^^^ without being rude looks like the bottom of a web page :hmm:

2.Develop a power base.

5.Build a reputation.

Home | Services | People | Publications | Knowledge | About us | Contact us | Privacy

Has that been copied from another site, or is it all your own work?

Either way, very good, but more importantly where do you stand on the banning of lead issue?

Personal priorities and my thoughts on threats to shooting. Initial thoughts.

Personal; Get to know and understand the innermost workings of Basc, how it works, lobbies, influences and networks. To establish effective methods of communication with members from all shooting disciplines so that I can feed the thoughts and opinions of 'grass roots' members to council. Thereafter to establish means to ensure that member opinion is represented and acted upon by the organisation. To help the organisation recruit a high calibre Chief Exec who possesses the requisite qualities to take us forward. To ensure that the gundog fraternity is seen as a priority alongside other shooting disciplines such as wildfowling and game shooting.

Threats - not an exhaustive list, again, more my immediate thoughts.

Existing wildfowling clubs tend to be fairly small. With some exceptions, those clubs have not sought to lease foreshore areas or purchase coastal marshes - quite simply because, under the existing legal framework, there was little to be gained by doing so. But even under the existing laws unrestricted access to some of the best wild-fowling has already been lost and, of course, the threat of future changes is very real. To put it simply, we need larger clubs with the resources, resolve and commitment to meet the challenges of the future and I think those clubs need the financial muscle of a pro-active parent body to help them.

We have seen the dramatic effects of the EU Habitats Directive and its implementation by Natural England and the Countryside Council for Wales. There is no doubt, to my mind, that many opposed to shooting use this to block, prevent and obstruct the use of the foreshore for wildfowling and if not challenged at every turn this shooting discipline will gradually be eroded.

Game farming. Attack/prevent the production of stock production for shoots and you prevent shoots operating.

Animal welfare legislation - aimed at preventing use of dogs for sport. Subtle, cleverly worded regulations that pass into law unchallenged without the effect being realised. Simple examples being the docking regs introduced in Scotland and Wales. A previous poster said the Scottish situation will soon be corrected - this isnt the case, its being studied, no more, and there is no predictions on the outcome of that study. Also the Regs governing the movement of dogs, the detail of which eludes me, have brought in law that seriously restricts the numbers of dogs that a trialler, beater, picker-up can carry and the distances they are allowed to travel.

Final thought - that I am the only candidate taking the trouble to visit the forums and talk to people. A decision which I trust I will not live to regret.

Mart.

On the CE qualities, the response is an adaptation of a list that I put together with a school governing body when we were faced with recruiting a new headteacher. It is from a research project conducted, I think by the LSE, and was adapted by us to recruit a head. Its not 'all my own work' by any means but it is a most useful framework to use. Interestingly, the selection process for headship identified a man who turned a school with 36% A*-C pass rate up to a school with 80% pass rate in five years. A remarkable endorsement of the selection criteria.

Its from my school web page.

Edited by Mymwood

Martyn has being doing the rounds of the various forums to build a constituency to back his candidacy. So I posed the following on a gundog forum:

Martyn, could you please elaborate a detailed manifesto on how you would the promote interests of gundog owners within the BASC and when you say "gundogs" could you try to explain how you would look after each of the sub-groups. You set great store by "spaniel" experience. Are you appealing to support from those with spaniels only?

If you are able to do this then I wouldn't mind the fact that you have come on a gundog forum to promote your candidacy, specifically appealing to those with gundogs at heart.

As you are a retired Police Inspector, can you please elaborate your views on gun controls and on the performance of the various Police Fireams Licensing Departments with respect to licensing delays, proposed licence fee increases, ACPO guidance as relates to firearms policy, and the apparent arbitrary impositions of licence conditions by the various chief police officers across the country.

Do you think the licensing responsibility should be removed from police forces and perhaps vested in a national authority, independent of the police with a fairer and accessible appeals process?

Many thanks.

The reply was:

Lots of questions from a short post Nigel, and some subject matter that is a veritable minefield!

could you please elaborate a detailed manifesto on how you would the promote interests of gundog owners within the BASC and when you say "gundogs" could you try to explain how you would look after each of the sub-groups. You set great store by "spaniel" experience. Are you appealing to support from those with spaniels only?

No, I'm not just looking for support from spaniel owners, albeit this group of dogs, along with terriers and pointers, have been the first target of legislation which, to my mind, has been aimed at making it harder to use working dogs in the field. At the moment BASC only employ one person to deal with gundog matters and he has a large portfolio of responsibility including gamekeeping. It frustrates many people that I know that there is nobody at council level who has the working gundog as their priority. I accept that spaniels are my background, but working dogs are my priority, from all groups. To give you an example, when the Welsh Govt messed up the Tail Docking Regs I took the trouble to go and see the Rural Affairs Minister in Cardiff and briefed her on the need for change. She was very sympathetic but asked for me to obtain the support of BASC. I asked, it wasnt forthcoming, and why? I want to keep up the pressure from within BASC to ensure the matter doesnt get shelved and to ensure that should any more legislation (breeding, microchipping etc) be around the corner that the views of gundog owners are properly represented.

As you are a retired Police Inspector, can you please elaborate your views on gun controls and on the performance of the various Police Fireams Licensing Departments with respect to licensing delays, proposed licence fee increases, ACPO guidance as relates to firearms policy, and the apparent arbitrary impositions of licence conditions by the various chief police officers across the country.

The subject of gun control is very complex, a debate that could involve all manner of issues from firearm types through to involvement of GPs. I'm not sure whether this forum is the right place? Licensing Dept performance varies mostly, in my opinion, due to the variations in the number, knowledge and calibre of the staff manning them. What we must remember is that ACPO, Chief Constables have a completely different agenda from shooting people. Their priority is public safety, not the maintenance of shooting sports. As such, there will always be differing opinions on policy, conditions etc. What they must maintain though is dialogue, so that sensible and responsible shooting can continue without unnecessary encumberance by bureaucracy.

Do you think the licensing responsibility should be removed from police forces and perhaps vested in a national authority, independent of the police with a fairer and accessible appeals process?

I dont personally favour the formation of yet another quango to introduce yet another level of bureaucracy into the equation. So long as the current system is fair and transparent I would be inclined to keep it. I accept there are examples that demonstrate it could be better and I am aware that there is much work being done by BASC and the CA to try to bring this about.

Banning of lead shot?

My favourite shotgun is a 110 year old damascus barrelled s/s ble. Its been my regular companion for longer than I care to recall. So I have to declare a personal prejudice in favour of keeping lead shot. For shooting on the river I have had to switch to a newer gun that can handle non-lead shot. That said, I understand the public discomfort with the potentially toxic effects of lead. Public discomfort can be exploited by politicians keen to win votes and therein lies a very real danger to shooting. Were a viable alternative to lead available then I think most shooters would accept change, but there isnt and until there is I believe that lead shot must stay.

And now I must offer my apologies if I am absent from the forum for a while, I have about 40 messages from people through facebook and on email who are also asking questions of me.

Mart.

I must apologise for this but you have elected to enter the bear pit of BASC politics and I do hope that you will not consider this to be a personal attack.

Thank you for taking the trouble to give an amazingly comprehensive response to my question about the Chief Exec.It is an impressive tour de force of "inhuman resources-speak" and you have correctly identified that I was referring to the future need to employ a new one.

However, the problem with it is that it omits what,for me,is the single most important point which is that the Chief Executive should do what council instructs him to do.

You appear to have missed the point that it is you, collectively with other council members,who will be directing BASC. Not to have mentioned this is, in my opinion, a glaring omission and a clear indicator of your failure to understand, quite literally, how BASC works.

And now, on a personal note, I`m not going to be so charitable.

The comments you make about wildfowling are breathtaking in their ignorance and illustrate a mind boggling lack of understanding of the workings of one of shootings most threatened branches. Frankly, I`m speechless that you should be so detached from `fowling that you can make such ludicrous comments as "Clubs have not sought to lease foreshore areas or purchase coastal marshes." What!!

Every single English and Welsh fowling club, without exception,has a lease of some sort from someone or other. You are utterly unaware of this, the most fundamental of principles. You seem never to have heard of the BASC`s Wildlife Habitat Trust or of the sterling efforts of every club in the land to buy some marsh.

Your knowledge of wildfowling is dangerously ill informed and you would have done better, in my opinion to have said openly " I know nothing about wildfowling" rather that attempt to hoodwink less well informed readers into thinking that you do know something about it.

And finally, and again because you`ve avoided answering it. You are representing yourself as the champion of gundogs. What will be your first action in that respect should you get elected?

You have obviously planned a strategy for your gundog championship. Please tell us what it is and dispel the rumour that it is so much meaningless self serving smoke and mirrors.

Once again, with my apologies, but democracy is a hard task mistress.

I have been a member of BASC for many years and as usual will be voting.

However, I have serious doubts about one [or more] of the candidates using Pigeon Watch and other sites as a platform for promoting his/her candidacy. With many organisations, canvassing disqualifies the candidates - no doubt as it is felt that it gives them an unfair advantage.

To my mind, a worthwhile candidate is someone who has made his mark over many years and who has earned the respect of shooters generally.

I do not want the process for electing members to Council to mirror that of electing a Member of Parliament where candidates will spin any sort of story, attitude, view etc to get elected and once they are, promptly forget everything that they promised to do.

When voting, I will take the view that actions speak louder than words.

Mudpatten

Having no wish to further a debate which you clearly wish to present as an 'exposure' of my failings I will close this discussion with a response to one point in your post which I feel should be answered. In my defence, I would point out that at the very least I have taken the time to come on these forums to talk to members even if some are clearly highly prejudiced against my candidacy.

I do not believe that the role of the CE is just to 'do what he is told' by council. I believe that the role of council is to act as a 'critical friend' to the CE to enable the CE and his/her staff to do the very best job they can. In selecting a CE I do favour sourcing a person who is charismatic and of high leadership quality more than favouring a person who 'knows how BASC works' and has an intimate knowledge/understanding of every single facet of the role. I would expect the appointee to develop that knowledge, but would not see it is essential to appointment.

Knowledge can be acquired, qualities such as leadership, vision and charisma are either there or they are not.

Mart.

The BASC election process limits what candidates can write in the official circulation to 500 words.

Both John Graham and Alan Jarrett have prepared fuller manifestos so that BASC members can see what they stand for and what they will do if elected.

Read them here:

John Graham - http://www.wildfowling.co.uk/elect4.htm

Alan Jarrett - http://www.wildfowling.co.uk/elect3.htm

Please also share those pages on Facebook and Twitter so that the word gets out as far and as fast as possible.