Mice

WoodyPopper

As others have said, its wrong, cruel and most likely illegal to trap and drown animals, makes no odds if its a mouse or a dog, we live in a 'animal friendly' society.

Even stamping on them is better, quick, humane (free from pain) death, as are anticoagulants.

And Bakerboy, you'll also fall foul of the law using sticky boards without proving without doubt that no other means are effective...

Jeez...we talk about clean kills on our quarry, don't go further than 30 yards with air...80 yards with .22, yet we speak of drowning trapped animals, sticking animals to boards until they die from dehydration, stress or predation...shame on you.

kyska

Posted Today, 06:34 PM

Ace Pigeon Shooter

Group:Members

Member:19934

chris t, on 11 February 2012 - 06:16 PM, said:

in the farm grain store I had a bad infestation. Used bait, which they ate and wouldn't die.

Spring traps are OK, but once spring max 1 mouse caught.

I actually used a live mice catcher in the end.

Caught about 6 - 7 in one sitting. Then put the trap in a bucket of water for a minute or so.

Reset and carry on...

Caught loads and loads doing this method.

Don't know an alternative, but thats not nice.

They're called humane traps, ironic people have to kill humanely trapped animals cruely.

This post has been edited by kyska: Today, 06:36 PM

bakerboys reply

The alternative is to let them have free rein, dribble their urine over all manner of oblects and surfaces to be transferred to food stuffs and other bits and pieces?poisins allow them to go off and die in inaccessable places, and then to smell the place out.

I would agree that that a quick humane death is better but not always possible. If you know the entry point you can spread broken glass as this will send them somewhere else, and it becomes someone else's problem, but that is not good either. A cat is a good method, but they will play about with the mouse and "OH NO" it has a long lingering death. So what do we do? domesticate them!!?

Edited by bakerboy

bakerboys reply

The alternative is to let them have free rein, dribble their urine over all manner of oblects and surfaces to be transferred to food stuffs and other bits and pieces?poisins allow them to go off and die in inaccessable places, and then to smell the place out.

I would agree that that a quick humane death is better but not always possible. If you know the entry point you can spread broken glass as this will send them somewhere else, and it becomes someone else's problem, but that is not good either. A cat is a good method, but they will play about with the mouse and "OH NO" it has a long lingering death. So what do we do? domesticate them!!?

Don't be a donkey fella, taking a cat as an example is a poor analogy.

As is any entry point laced with a sticky board as opposed to a killing trap, by law you have to check a sticky board as often as you would need to reset a killer trap... :rolleyes:

You can't use sticky boards legally unless you're trained to do so, pest controllers don't use them much as they have to stick to the law (animal welfare/cruelty act) which takes a lot of time. Use humane killing traps or licensed poisons....or a cat as they don't have to adhere to the quite rightly enforced laws stopping people being eff.ing cruel to animals.

No doubt this will now tangent off with the good people proclaiming the best and cruelest way to kill a cat now...normal progression.

Edited by kyska

Havent read the whole thread, but I know someone who breeds show-winning hamsters (I kid you not!) and if he has one that is, say, past its best :blush: , he puts it in a large tupperware box and puts it to sleep with 'easy start'. Which is ether/anaesthetic.

This might work with mice?

Name is a bit ironic tho, or so Ive always thought :lol:

Are sticky boards legal to use?

Having worked in the food industry for over 40 years, trying ensure that everything that reachs the public does so in the best possible condition, could you advise me on what method is best for catching mice, and in the event that even with a trap they may still be alive, how best to dispatch them.

In the meantime I will make an appointment to discover whether I am a pyschopath or sociopath

in the farm grain store I had a bad infestation. Used bait, which they ate and wouldn't die.

Spring traps are OK, but once spring max 1 mouse caught.

I actually used a live mice catcher in the end.

Caught about 6 - 7 in one sitting. Then put the trap in a bucket of water for a minute or so.Reset and carry on...

Caught loads and loads doing this method.

As others have said you face prosecution and a stiff fine.

let them eat the bait and die slowly from bleeding to death internally....

Think of it what you will, all baits used in this country have to be approved!

Are sticky boards legal to use?

Yes, they are legal, but there has been talk of banning them for years! We use them as required, and they need constant attention and are NOT good left in client view, so treatment is almost always "out of hours"

post-20848-0-35502400-1329036764.jpg

Edited by Dekers

he puts it in a large tupperware box and puts it to sleep with 'easy start'. Which is ether/anaesthetic.

That's a good idea. In my old workshop the mice always got into the plastic rubbish bin where people had thrown their plastic sandwich wrappers. I used to put a big squirt of solvent cleaner in the black sack and tie the top before I went home, the mice would get into the bin, chew into the bag and gas themselves. Sometimes I pulled out the bag and found 2 or 3 dead mice in the bottom plus however many were actually in the bag.

Havent read the whole thread, but I know someone who breeds show-winning hamsters (I kid you not!) and if he has one that is, say, past its best :blush: , he puts it in a large tupperware box and puts it to sleep with 'easy start'. Which is ether/anaesthetic.

This might work with mice?

Name is a bit ironic tho, or so Ive always thought :lol:

You can do the same with WD40. It stops them squeaking instantly.

That's six now - a big fat one (number 5 was a tiddler). My OP was about how many I might need to kill, not the best method. But, given that controlling mice is not my livelihood, I'd say that a traditional spring trap, checked every few hours, is as good a way as any. With the occasional failure where the mouse gets the bait but doesn't spring the trap, it's borderline 'sporting'.

Vermin shouldn't be treated like vermin. Applies to humans too.

it's borderline 'sporting'.

You can get quite into it can't you!. I thought it was very sporting. The Terrier would often let me know if one had sprung during the night by sitting near the trap and chuntering. He'd go nuts when I retrieved the trap. He was a good indicator of where I should put the traps also. He'd stake out various parts of the house for hours. It was areal team effort. He even goes into hunting mode when I do mozzie patrol before bed in the spring /summer.

so what about flies stuck on a fly strip buzzing away for hours...

Is this also to be banned as cruel.

Better get those fly strips banned from the shops then

Oh dear, did you not do biology at school?

My opinion....and should be the opinion of most people is to not be cruel to animals, that should with your comment read mammals or birds. Insects are omitted from pain.

Stop killing animals cruely,simple, would you drown a horse? A dog? A pig? Would you stick a larger mammal to a board and let it die?

Of course pests need controlling, but humanely.

Oh dear, did you not do biology at school?

My opinion....and should be the opinion of most people is to not be cruel to animals, that should with your comment read mammals or birds. Insects are omitted from pain.

Stop killing animals cruely,simple, would you drown a horse? A dog? A pig? Would you stick a larger mammal to a board and let it die?

Of course pests need controlling, but humanely.

You have not replied to my question for your suggestion of how to get rid of the mice that are trapped/caught and still alive, and the best method of trapping them!

I see from your profile you have some interesting pastimes, could I ask is "dogging" a humane pastime, have to say I am not sure what it is perhaps you could explain.

Kyska's profile lists the following as interests;

Cooking, animals, shooting, odd calibres, masturbating, voyeurism, dogging, cottaging.

You have not replied to my question for your suggestion of how to get rid of the mice that are trapped/caught and still alive, and the best method of trapping them!

I see from your profile you have some interesting pastimes, could I ask is "dogging" a humane pastime, have to say I am not sure what it is perhaps you could explain.

Kyska's profile lists the following as interests;

Cooking, animals, shooting, odd calibres, masturbating, voyeurism, dogging, cottaging.

They are all humane old fella.

I did reply, in my first reply, that I don't see an alternative, but its still cruel (I think my words were, not nice, but can't see the alternative), maybe bait in the humane trap? Or with sticky boards, if you have to use them to kill the animal humanely.

Maybe letting the mice go into a hessian bag or similar and belting it around a wall...sounds awful, but its a recognised way of killing animals humanely according to the Home Office laws governing research animals.

**** me, is it really? :/

Its is, concussion is a recognised humane method of killing lots of animals, similar to a using a priest, just use a wall as the priest if that makes sense. No different to hitting a rodent on the head over a fence.

You could try breaking their necks, but I imagine you'd have lots of bitten fingers!

I'm not saying tis ideal, I just, along with others, feel that drowning animals is completely unneccesarily cruel.

Edited by kyska

Maybe letting the mice go into a hessian bag or similar and belting it around a wall...sounds awful, but its a recognised way of killing animals humanely according to the Home Office laws governing research animals.

OK, hadn't thought of that one. Will do that from now on.

Interesting, thanks.

I've always used spring traps and find they kill instantly, especially with Nutella as it's sticky and they can't just pinch it off the top of the trap.

Or pate, really cheap stinking pate, but its not as sticky as nutella, but mice and rats seem to go mad for it!