Cocker Spaniel Training

Colc08

Hello,

After viewing and carefull accessing a few litters of cocker pups I have now purchased my stunning little 9 week old chocolat cocker bitch. When she comes of age I want to be able to train her to come pigeion shooting and beating with me.

Can anyone recommend a good book or DVD that will help me with her trainging. I am after general obidience ( sit, stay, come to - by whistle ) and also basic gun dog skills like search retrieve etc.

Any recommendations are welcome.

Thanks guys and girls

Colin

Yes Joe Irvings book is good plenty of books about training about.All nearly giving same advice though.If your bitch is well bred, no show stuff in it you won't have much trouble training it. They are easy to train always want to please you.Hardest thing most people find with cockers is sit and stay,they are little creepers. :lol: :lol: other thing is getting them out on long retrieves this advice was given to me by the best top trainer years ago.Since then i have had loads of cockers they are bloody great dogs. :good:

Good luck with your new pup Terry :good:

Hello,

After viewing and carefull accessing a few litters of cocker pups I have now purchased my stunning little 9 week old chocolat cocker bitch. When she comes of age I want to be able to train her to come pigeion shooting and beating with me.

Can anyone recommend a good book or DVD that will help me with her trainging. I am after general obidience ( sit, stay, come to - by whistle ) and also basic gun dog skills like search retrieve etc.

Any recommendations are welcome.

Thanks guys and girls

Colin

if you never have another book on your shelf, make sure you do have P. Moxon 'Gundogs'. it's old, but is the best by a country mile

My advice would be to find someone who really 'knows' Cockers locally to you and see if they will help. I had a very strong-willed Dog as my first gundog and it was really hard until I went to see the local keeper who breeds them. He helped me to train him and it was a godsend. I also agree that the Joe Irving book is very good.

Enjoy.

if you never have another book on your shelf, make sure you do have P. Moxon 'Gundogs'. it's old, but is the best by a country mile

:good: I'd second that recommendation.

P.R.A. Moxon (same fella) another book of his "Training the Roughshooter's Dog" I found to be worth reading.

Probably available in your local library.

ISBN 1-85310-501-5 is the catalogue #

Good luck with your training.

Thank alot for your replies fellas. I just got my Joe Irving book turn up in the post this morning. I'm looking forward to some bed time reading now :D

I'm going to look into some of the other suggestions too as you can never have enough good books.

Thanks again guys :good: