Newbie Shotgun Questions

LondonLuke

Bisley has excellent facilities but isn't cheap, west London shooting school is even more expensive but there is a cheaper ground on the same road sporting targets I think.

I am sure terry can sort you out in the right foot!

Choke is a construction at the muzzle which effects the spread of the shot don't worry about it too much!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to PW and well done on asking loads of sensible questions.

The first thing I will say is TAKE TERRY UP ON THAT OFFER :yes: !! You'll learn far more being out with an experienced shooter than you will from reading loads of guff on t'internet.

Gunwise, stick to an O/U for now as they are far more of a general purpose gun. I'd suggest a budget of between £300-£500. That will get a decent quality s/h gun that will be a pleasure to shoot. You can get cheaper, but in all reality if you enjoy the sport you will want to upgrade as soon as you can, so save yourself the grief and buy a little better now.

Don't be afraid of buying s/h - I've not bought new yet and saved a fortune! In your position I'd pm Wabbitbosher on here as he often has some great starter guns available. I bought my latest gun from him and he's a top bloke :good: .

Happy Shooting!

I have shot at bisley a bit, was a member there last season so I could store my gun there (no gun safe in the London flat). Great verity of stands and has the clay mate system so you can shoot on your own if needs be (I often did). I think membership a touch over 100 quid, 27p per clay for members, so assuming box of 25 cartridges for 6 quid you can go and shoot 100 clays for a touch over 50 quid.

That's off top of my head but sure it's there or thereabouts. I've seen other places a few pence cheaper per clay but if bisley is cloest travel costs may offset that.

I had lessons there which really helped but they are not cheap, I needed them as I'm not a natural at all and have to work at it. If you hit enough to enjoy it then it's your call on that.

Welcome to the sport

I have shot at bisley a bit, was a member there last season so I could store my gun there (no gun safe in the London flat). Great verity of stands and has the clay mate system so you can shoot on your own if needs be (I often did). I think membership a touch over 100 quid, 27p per clay for members, so assuming box of 25 cartridges for 6 quid you can go and shoot 100 clays for a touch over 50 quid.

Was that the sporting layout? or the Trap skeet? as i think they are run by different organisations

http://www.nsc-clays.co.uk/ Trap skeet ground

http://www.bisleyshooting.co.uk/ sporting ground

Other places near West London:

http://www.acsportingtargets.com/index.php/about.html

http://www.shootingschool.co.uk/

http://www.headleyclaypigeon.com/

You are just about to find out that you are involved in one of the friendliest sports there is, people are very willing to share their knowledge and experience. I have often turned up on my own to a shoot, tagged on to another group and made a whole new set of mates.

Might be tricky in the smoke, but try to find a decent local "strawbaler"...this is a term used for the more informal club clay shoots, often run at weekends or alternate weekends by a volunteer committee or a farmer looking for a bit of extra income. They are usually as much a social club as anything else, the facilities might be a bit basic but there is no pressure to shoot well and they are generally very welcoming to newcomers. If you help to set up before or clear up after they might even give you a free round.

The only thing that will pee people off is any sign that you are unsafe. Make this your top priority and it will soon become second nature. There's a few rules but basically always be aware where your barrels are pointing, open gun or closed, loaded or empty.

Get some lessons too, no need to go mad but the quicker you pick up the basics the easier it will be to start building some decent scores. Once you start smashing them you will be hooked...

Good luck and let us know how you get on :good:

Thanks for all your comments everyone, it really is a welcoming sport and I am super addicted!

I am going to get my licence in the post this week - I live with (flatmate) an accountant who I have known for 10 years, do you think they would be OK to sign off my licence or does it not count as I live with him?

I warn you I am going to be super dooper annoying whilst the licence is pending....

Off to salivate over trying to find an o/u with ejectors...

Quick question, can I store a friends gun in my cabinet to save us both having to buy a cabinet??

Thanks again to everyone!

Thanks for all your comments everyone, it really is a welcoming sport and I am super addicted!

I am going to get my licence in the post this week - I live with (flatmate) an accountant who I have known for 10 years, do you think they would be OK to sign off my licence or does it not count as I live with him?

I warn you I am going to be super dooper annoying whilst the licence is pending....

Off to salivate over trying to find an o/u with ejectors...

Quick question, can I store a friends gun in my cabinet to save us both having to buy a cabinet??

Thanks again to everyone!

only if you live together or have lent it for a short period, if not it must be kept where stated on his ticket.

only if you live together or have lent it for a short period, if not it must be kept where stated on his ticket.

Thanks for this.

I am not one to dodge the law but if I were to "own" both guns and store both at my house and he used one of the guns only whilst on shoot (i.e. less than 72 hours of use) would that keep us legal?

On a side note once I have my SGC and then I get a gun do I have to send it off again to have the gun added? Can you shoot whilst it is being added?

Edited by LondonLuke

Thanks for this.

I am not one to dodge the law but if I were to "own" both guns and store both at my house and he used one of the guns only whilst on shoot (i.e. less than 72 hours of use) would that keep us legal?

On a side note once I have my SGC and then I get a gun do I have to send it off again to have the gun added? Can you shoot whilst it is being added?

When you purchase a gun it is immediately added to your SGC.

You can store elsewhere but your gun would also need to be his cert and his yours if you both had keys (common situation with parents and kids who shoot especially when kids move out but leave guns at home FEO can advise.

Vendor has to write it on your cert (never write on your own cert)

You are just about to find out that you are involved in one of the friendliest sports there is, people are very willing to share their knowledge and experience. I have often turned up on my own to a shoot, tagged on to another group and made a whole new set of mates.

Might be tricky in the smoke, but try to find a decent local "strawbaler"...this is a term used for the more informal club clay shoots, often run at weekends or alternate weekends by a volunteer committee or a farmer looking for a bit of extra income. They are usually as much a social club as anything else, the facilities might be a bit basic but there is no pressure to shoot well and they are generally very welcoming to newcomers. If you help to set up before or clear up after they might even give you a free round.

The only thing that will pee people off is any sign that you are unsafe. Make this your top priority and it will soon become second nature. There's a few rules but basically always be aware where your barrels are pointing, open gun or closed, loaded or empty.

Get some lessons too, no need to go mad but the quicker you pick up the basics the easier it will be to start building some decent scores. Once you start smashing them you will be hooked...

Good luck and let us know how you get on :good:

Luke shot marginally over 70% yesterday 60+ from 80 clays 5 differing targets, incomer- left to right quartering- low driven-high driven from the left-high driven shot from a platform 2 metres high with the trap beneath the platform.

A lot of the targets were on report, but a good number were pairs, Luke twice had a pair with one cartridge, and right near the end a really nice pair taken individually and smoked them, this was Lukes shot of the day :good:

A really good first day out

When you purchase a gun it is immediately added to your SGC.

You can store elsewhere but your gun would also need to be his cert and his yours if you both had keys (common situation with parents and kids who shoot especially when kids move out but leave guns at home FEO can advise.

Vendor has to write it on your cert (never write on your own cert)

Thank you both, much clearer now. Hadn't appreciated someone wrote on it once you purchased.

Luke shot marginally over 70% yesterday 60+ from 80 clays 5 differing targets, incomer- left to right quartering- low driven-high driven from the left-high driven shot from a platform 2 metres high with the trap beneath the platform.

A lot of the targets were on report, but a good number were pairs, Luke twice had a pair with one cartridge, and right near the end a really nice pair taken individually and smoked them, this was Lukes shot of the day :good:

A really good first day out

You make it sounds much more professional with all the lingo! I like that a lot!!

It was an amazing day and really enjoyed it - we would have been nothing without our teacher though!!

Application went in the post today...now the wait begins!'

What can I expect at interview?

I've installed the cabinet now, do they test it or just look at it?!

while the interview includes the inspection of your security, (providing the basic security of your flat is ok and the cabinet has been fitted to an outside wall with chemical fixings or anchor bolts ,this element of it should be virtually a formality.) It is more a chance for the FEO to assess you and your home environment. Make sure that you present a picture of responsible citezenship - if your shared house is like some of the ones i have lived in give it a tidy and dispose of the empty alcohol bottle collection! It won't do any harm to read up about the sport. It certainly will help saying that you've been getting lessons from a coach.

Its nice to see a "newbie" on the forum not asking for permission on the 2nd post and taking time to learn and ask questions which to more "experianced" members are pretty simple.

you seem like a good fella and will take Terrys word on it... :oops:

If you ever want a day on the pigeons or rabbits let me know :good:

Hi all

Been reading quite a lot over the last couple of days and answered some questions but I still have more - you all seem very welcoming so hope not offended by me asking so many!

I grew up shooting air rifles and recently have shot clays with a 12 bore and really enjoyed it - not been amazing or anything but really enjoyed it. I am not an overly extrovert person but a friend of mine has just moved back to the UK so now have someone else is keen - not sure I would ever go if no-one to go with!

I am keen to do things properly and know I want to do this long term - i.e. not keen to go and spend lots on coaching, gun hire etc. To this end I am wanting to be able to buy my gun to take to any lessons/shooting.

I understand I will need a shotgun licence, gun cabinet, shotgun to be in the position - understand this wont be cheap but happy to invest at this stage.

What I am not clear on is the shotgun certificate. I understand that I apply and it will likely take 8 weeks plus, and they will want to meet me. My questions are:

I am 26 and live in West London - will this go against me?

I am not keen to buy a gun cabinet and then be turned down for the certificate - do they need to see this at the interview?

On the assumption I get the certificate - how long does it last? Is it 12 months? i.e. £40/year?

Moving on from this I intend to start out shooting clays - I understand that if you can prove proficient then you are allowed to shoot on your own and just pay for clays?

The very long term plan - though I know this is probably difficult - would be to find land where you can turn up on an ad hoc basis and shoot a few pigeons (and if not have a nice walk!)

Apologies for the MASSIVE first post!

Look forward to speaking further with you all

Luke

Luke...have a good read thru this...

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/173038-safe-shooting/

Normally they will have a chat go through your application speak to you about any concerns they have, check security some just do a visual look some try and rip it off the wall!

Be prepared for a long wait get as many lessons as you can between now and then, and get some nice biscuits in for the visit.

Also prime your referee to answer the phone when they call!

while the interview includes the inspection of your security, (providing the basic security of your flat is ok and the cabinet has been fitted to an outside wall with chemical fixings or anchor bolts ,this element of it should be virtually a formality.) It is more a chance for the FEO to assess you and your home environment. Make sure that you present a picture of responsible citezenship - if your shared house is like some of the ones i have lived in give it a tidy and dispose of the empty alcohol bottle collection! It won't do any harm to read up about the sport. It certainly will help saying that you've been getting lessons from a coach.

Thanks for this. I wasn't sure if it had a definite pattern or process or if they followed a set question list.

I will be sure to have a really good tidy up and dress as smart as I can! I hope this far down the line it will all go smoothly. Very nerve inducing until then though!!

Thanks again and to you all for your help

Its nice to see a "newbie" on the forum not asking for permission on the 2nd post and taking time to learn and ask questions which to more "experianced" members are pretty simple.

you seem like a good fella and will take Terrys word on it... :oops:

If you ever want a day on the pigeons or rabbits let me know :good:

Thanks mate. I was very keen to do everything in the right order and was keen to go about it properly - wanted to test it out, then apply for licence, then buy gun before joining a small local club and ensuring I was up on accepted practice (only so much you can learn online or in a book) before then honing my clay skills and eventually moving onto pigeons etc.

I am aware that it's not a sport you can take up overnight and is a huge responsibility. Very few other sports could lead so easily to serious injury or death so I wanted to be comfortable in my ability and knowledge before going to the public domain.

I have been super lucky that Bakerboy took me under his wing and kindly showed me the ropes and it's certainly saved me a fortune - in an already expensive sport! - and I am very keen to take you up on your offer once I have a licence, gun, insurance etc

Thanks again, the generosity of this forum never fails to amaze!!