Postman Pattern

hedd-wyn

Hi

Could any of you please give me some safe tips on how to correctly pattern a shotgun?

Unfortunately, the local shooting ground doesn't have a pattern plate so will have to DIY.

There's plenty of safe places to try it out on my permission, it even has an old WII shooting range in an old quarry, so will probably do it there.

Picking up a new shotgun next week and will put different types of rounds through it.

If you could give me some the technical advice as well, it would be well appreciated.

Cheers

Hedd

our rough and ready non scientific method was to knock up a wooden frame

and use a roll of lining paper fixed on with bulldog clips screwed to the frame.

went to the local wickes and the whole lot cost about a tenner, well worth it, its stood up remarkably well.

we fixed 2 strips side by side, marked a dot in the centre to aim at, retired to our estimated clay distance

and blasted at the dot. didnt do circles/pellet counts but gave us a good idea of what out gun/choke/cartridge combination were throwing.

country bumpkin style. :lol:

our rough and ready non scientific method was to knock up a wooden frame

and use a roll of lining paper fixed on with bulldog clips screwed to the frame.

went to the local wickes and the whole lot cost about a tenner, well worth it, its stood up remarkably well.

we fixed 2 strips side by side, marked a dot in the centre to aim at, retired to our estimated clay distance

and blasted at the dot. didnt do circles/pellet counts but gave us a good idea of what out gun/choke/cartridge combination were throwing.

country bumpkin style. :lol:

That's technical enough for me Mick :lol:

Sounds like a great idea. :good:

No disrespect Mick, but that's not patterning :rolleyes:

It's shooting a piece of paper :lol:

Looked like a sensible request, deserving a sensible answer which would take a good few minutes and then some. A bit late by the time I saw it, so thought I'd answer in the morning. Here I am, and well pleased that I didn't bother last night!

I do similar to above for cartridge testing only i have a template flying duck i use. the range i anticipate using the load is the range i test it at the most, sometimes there are some suprising long and short range results so try and add in a few of those. I then count strikes to the body, dencity and total on paper. Not all results are identical so i then work the average, what you dont want is to see any realy rubbish single shots. I take my time in aiming at a specific point under the belly area.

I also test a gun by a series of mount and shoot exersizes, to ensure it shoots were i look- no aiming involved just stare at the target, gun in shoulder and bang!

If it's for gun fit- don't bother. Shoot straight going away clays and straight incomers with a lot of choke and work from your breaks. If looking at finding what the chokes are actually producing shoot any old **** at 40 yards then draw a 30" circle round the centre once you have shot. If it's the latter you need a bit of spare time and no social life.

Good luck!