What's the law on rear seats without belts??

mad1

hi all :good: At the moment my 110 has 3 front seats but the centre has a good chance of being taken out to fit a cubby box . My query is that there are some seat benches fitted in back across wheel arch ( if you know what I mean :oops: ) but these have never had belts fitted to them even though I would not want to drive on a main road with anyone un belted in back but if i needed to how would I stand if I was stopped by police or would I need to fit belts or remove bench seats to be on safe side :hmm:

Many thanks m1 :good:

As far as I am aware you do not have to wear seat belts in the rear but they should be installed - check with your MOT garage for the precise wording.

I would advise that you get them fitted and insist they are worn by anyone in the back - seen far to many accidents where the rear seat passenger has either gone through the windscreen after hitting front seat passenger or from a clash of heads, a fatality. The force of impact on the passengers from a 'loose' rear seat passenger at 40 mph is nearly 4 tons - rather like having an elephant fall on you.

Take care

i think the law is ,if thier fitted you must wear them,if not fitted you dont have to.

Sorry, you are right and I am wrong - if they are not fitted when manufactured you dont have to have them fitted. If they are fitted you must wear them.

I would however have them fitted personally but clearly no legal requirement. Apparently the only restriction is if the car has no seatbelts (classic car), you may not carry children younger than 3 and any children old enough to do so must travel in the back.

Checked the web for law on "rear seat belts" - answer from Direct Gov.

Cheers

Kes

Edited by Kes

The seat belts fitted to bench seats in landys have apparently a reputation for causing more injury during crashes than the actual crash.

Id be carefull, If they aint fitted i wouldnt fit them. Its nice to be free.

As a aside when a few of us were delivering straw to pens we hitched a lift on the trailer and found ourselvs going 40MPH down a private road, THAT was FUN!!!!

I'm pretty sure that if the vehicle isn't manufactured with them it doesn't need them. I expect (though I could be wrong) that if you retro-fit some then they will then have to meet a certain standard for an MOT.

The seat belts fitted to bench seats in landys have apparently a reputation for causing more injury during crashes than the actual crash.

I think you could be right, I can't think what sort are in Landy's, I don't recall the ones I've used having them fitted, but if they are the simple lap belts which I think they are then I think they can be very bad in a crash, as they don't support the upper body and therefore can cause some major internal injuries. If I'm right then if they're fitted I'd not use them, I have been in vehicles with lap belts and feel happier not wearing them.

That said, even if they kill the passengers they will protect the driver from several tons of dead occupants flying through them!

Thanks everyone :good:

I will get some fitted as it's for my protection as much as my passengers :good:

Are you talking about fitting them so that people sat sideways (on each side) will be able to use them?

If so, there is a reason why they're not installed and it's supposedly because if there's a crash you're more likely to get injured. Seatbelts/Lap belts are designed to work in a forward direction. I'm not sure of the exact reasons, but I believe it's down to the sideways movement and the fact that a seat/lapbelt would cause your body to twist.

There's no legal requirement to fit seat belts in sideways-facing seats. The human body bends forward from the waist - not sideways - the potential for internal and spinal injury is high if a passenger uses a seat belt in a sideways-facing seat. For similar reasons, the type-approval standard for child seats and boosters does not include fixing them in a sideways-facing seat
Edited by Billy.

Are you talking about fitting them so that people sat sideways (on each side) will be able to use them?

If so, there is a reason why they're not installed and it's supposedly because if there's a crash you're more likely to get injured. Seatbelts/Lap belts are designed to work in a forward direction. I'm not sure of the exact reasons, but I believe it's down to the sideways movement and the fact that a seat/lapbelt would cause your body to twist.

Yeah the ones in back do face sideways :yes:

So I won't bother fitting them but just make any adult passengers aware to hold on :lol:

Thanks again