How bad are the 2.5NA defender 90?

Daveo26

Iv been looking at an ex mod 90 with a 2.5 Na engine.

Im not bothered about comfort or speed just want a go anywhere car.

Im guessing it would run on bio??

Does anyone know what tax braket it would be in as once released even a 1986 veihicle would be first registered this year.

Would that make it really high tax?

Cheers Daveo

Iv found some 90 hardtops straight from the MOD, road registered with 12 months MOT for £2750.

Looking at civvy landrovers with TDIs in them you cant buy anything reasonable for less than £5000 :oops:.

Im quite tempted, I know they are noisy and slow but its purly for shooting and there seems to be less to go wrong and bits are cheap :yes:

• 1 month later...

The na engine is bullet proof . They are a bit slow but driven properly will go anywhere . As has been said you can chuck in a 200 tdi if it dies . Job lot for £500

Tax exemption came in for vehicles registered before 1973 so defo won't be exempt

I ran a N/A engine in my 90 for a year. It was a great engine and i ran it on pure veg oil most of the time apart from winter when i thinned it down a bit. I recently changed it for a TDI because i got offered one from a friend at a price i couldnt refuse. The N/A's are slow but looked after properly they will go forever. TDI's are the way forward though.

My other halfs father ran a N/A 90 fitted with a BMW turbo on it for ages untill the injector pump went tits up, this ran really well. He recently brought a 300tdi disco for 200 quid and has fitted the engine, R380 gear box and transfer box. Its transformed it into a truly awsome 90 capable of some scary speeds in a defender.

As for tax its about 120 off the top of my head for 6 months.

Cheers

Ben

I bought a disco off here :no:

I decided due to the shoot im on being 80 miles down the motorway that a disco would be more comfortable.

My intention is to run it untils rots away (wont be long)then transplant the engine into an ex mod 90.

Im hoping to get 2 seasons from the disco then buy the 90 when the second season finishes.

I had some problems with the disco probably due to it being sat for months but touch wood its running well now.

P.s the 300tdi runs like a charm on bio :yes:

bio diesel isnt veg oil tho, is it? :unsure:

Its waste veg oil that's cleaned chemically altered with the inclusion of methanol so it works across a wider temp range

Dave,

I'm sure the disco will be better if youre doing a few miles-who was doing the ex mod 90's you mentioned? I approached PB Blanchards near Yrok and they wanted 5-6 grand for a decent ex mod 90/110

cheers

fudd

rugged guide