Identification - links

-Mongrel-

You'll find that shooting them in the half light, the markings and whether it's a drake or duck are irrelevant for the most part. However, the RSPB website is a good resource(even though I disagree with their anti-wildfowling agenda)...the link below allows you to type in the species and listen to calls, look at pictures etc.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/

I find (and most other wildfowlers will agree) that the silhouette of the bird, along with the call and even the speed/pattern they beat their wings are much better indicators. Recognition becomes instinctive with experience. Get down your local marsh or even park after you've done some research on RSPB and even youtube (type in Eurasian Wigeon for example).

If you have access to an experienced wildfowler, ask them if they fancy an unarmed education lesson at a local nature reserve :good:

The RSPB site is good, but what I'm really after is something that shows the ducks and differentiates the markings. Wing and head markings being particularly relevant.

I'm not too bad at calls, but it's the hen birds that I'm really not good on...and I have a test on identification in a week! :blink:

Edited by -Mongrel-

The RSPB site is good, but what I'm really after is something that shows the ducks and differentiates the markings. Wing and head markings being particularly relevant.

I'm not too bad at calls, but it's the hen birds that I'm really not good on...and I have a test on identification in a week! :blink:

As ayano3 said, the BASC book is good for what they look like from underneath. For example, the white coloured belly and dark head of the wigeon always gives them away, the size of a mallard (likewise the teal) are obvious. The hen birds are the difficult ones, ESPECIALLY mallard, gadwall and pintail and pochard, as they are similar in size and markings. For me, the positive identifiers before the shot in the half light are not the markings but the wing beat and sounds :good:

Get up to speed on the drakes, they are the easiest. Don't worry about your ID test - these guys are wildfowlers, I'm sure they'll appreciate you're new and can't be expected to know it all! The nuances between different species come with experience - remember, if in doubt, leave it out!

I agree the basc booklet is good also the rspb web site ,another little tip is in most cases the hen bird will always take the lead in flight , so if you only want to shoot Drake shoot the back bird if there is a pair , it will all come with time and experience the more you do the more you learn . Good luck let us know how you get on with your test .

hello. i agree with washwildfowler on this one. it always seems to be the back bird is the drake. if the mallard are going over head nine times out of ten you will hear the high whistle of there wings. teal are a bit different packs of fast flying teal sound like a strong gust of wind.and last but not least the famous call of the wild the wigeon you cannot mistake this one WEHOWOOOOOOOO,LOL.