Rifle barrels

ditchman

Your opinion please....as i understand the rifle grooves are made 3 seperate ways, 1-cut into the barrel 2-buttoned 3-hyraulic stamped, correct me if im wrong...........

question what gives the best result and why ?

I know of the first two but not the last. The barrels I shoot(Shilen) are all button rifled and I have not had one yet that wouldn't shoot. My expectation for a match grade barrel is >.5@100yds and they have all done it with ease. Cut rifling has it's proponents as well but they are a little more expensive here and they may or may not be better/more accurate.

I know of the first two but not the last. The barrels I shoot(Shilen) are all button rifled and I have not had one yet that wouldn't shoot. My expectation for a match grade barrel is >.5@100yds and they have all done it with ease. Cut rifling has it's proponents as well but they are a little more expensive here and they may or may not be better/more accurate.

Ive always been told the buttoned rifles are the best as the buttoning is drawn thro several times the same way and it lines all the molicules of the metal up the same way and wears much better, ive also been told that cut rifling is better with a patch and ball, and as i understand it mass produced rifles are hydraulically stamped,

read somewhere when i was in florida that the first of the plainsman rifles the grooves were cut using a rosewood rod with hardend steel cutters set into the end and drawn thro the barrel (by hand) to form the lands over a couple of days !!

Some barrels are placed over a hardened former and then hammered onto it, forming the rifling and sometimes the chamber too. It is supposed to give a hard, smooth finish to the rifling.

I have had a couple of factory tubes that must have been made that way-----but they should have fed the monkey before giving him the hammer because his result was poor. LOL

Hah...had to larf at that, reminded me of a time 35 years ago when i used to do a lot of ferreting, i bought a spainish .410 by post single barrel, skeleton stock as it was light and easy to flick about, shot it half a doz times and found it was patterning 6" out at 10yds ! yep you got it the barrel was bent....the model was called " El Chimbo"....i rekon it was your chimpo' from over the pondo !!

Hah...had to larf at that, reminded me of a time 35 years ago when i used to do a lot of ferreting, i bought a spainish .410 by post single barrel, skeleton stock as it was light and easy to flick about, shot it half a doz times and found it was patterning 6" out at 10yds ! yep you got it the barrel was bent....the model was called " El Chimbo"....i rekon it was your chimpo' from over the pondo !!

Likely it was, he got around quite a lot from some of the shooting I see at public shooting grounds. On the other hand or limb as it may be, sometimes I think my barrels are all made by the chimp. Suppose he can run a button press as well??

Likely it was, he got around quite a lot from some of the shooting I see at public shooting grounds. On the other hand or limb as it may be, sometimes I think my barrels are all made by the chimp. Suppose he can run a button press as well??

seen chimps push a stick down a hole........not far to go to operate a button press !!!

Your opinion please....as i understand the rifle grooves are made 3 seperate ways, 1-cut into the barrel 2-buttoned 3-hyraulic stamped, correct me if im wrong...........

question what gives the best result and why ?

Depends on who you ask. A company that has invested a lot of money in a button rifling machine will most likely tell you button rifling is the cat's ***. I think the real key in the case of both button and cut rifling is how well the hole is drilled and reamed in the first place. With hammer forged its more a case of how good is the former. Sako I believe use hammer forged barrels as does Ruger and probably most of the big manufacturers. Border barrels have an info page on their website and offer both cut and button rifled barrels. The cut rifling is more labour intensive, so it costs more. The claim is it puts less stress in the tube than button rifling. I have a couple of button rifled Pac-Nor barrels which shoot better than me so I am not 100% convinced that one technology is better than another.