Hornady Bullet choice

Hello All,

I'm looking for a .243 round for roe stalking and possibly red hinds next winter. I don't load my own and I'm currently using Hornady 58gn V-max's for fox with good effect.

I've allways got on with Hornady ammo and would like to stick with it. Also my local supplier stocks a big range of their loads.

Looking on their website the choice seems to be between 95gn SST's or 100gn Interlocks. I have no experience of either and was hoping some one could help me with their own experiences of those loads?

I'm drawn to the 95gnn SST's for the flatter trajectory but I guess they won't have the knock down effect of the Interlocks? I'm also assuming they produce enough energy to make them deer legal?

Any advice appreciated.

WR

if your only shooting 58gr (like i do) are you sure your rifle will shoot the heavy bullet? mine hates 100gr

It's a steyr mannlicher pro hunter and I'm not sure how it peforms with heavier bullets. I'm assuming 58gr would be illegal for deer in england?

As far as I can gather the new laws are based on muzzle energy and I'm not sure how you know what your perticular load produces?

WR

It's a steyr mannlicher pro hunter and I'm not sure how it peforms with heavier bullets. I'm assuming 58gr would be illegal for deer in england?

As far as I can gather the new laws are based on muzzle energy and I'm not sure how you know what your perticular load produces?

WR

Perfectly legal as long as you meet the 1700 ft/lbs m/e (.24 min cal) rule - but it will make an awefull mess and you risk frangments damaging the guts etc and tainting the meat.

My steyr scout (19" .243 1-10 twist) will even handle the geco 105 grain so you should be OK up to 100grain. What about the 85 grain interbonds or the 87 gran Vmax though?? they would surely be a good intermediate.

Edited by Newsportshooter

Looking on their website the choice seems to be between 95gn SST's or 100gn Interlocks. I have no experience of either and was hoping some one could help me with their own experiences of those loads?

I'm drawn to the 95gnn SST's for the flatter trajectory but I guess they won't have the knock down effect of the Interlocks?

WR

Before you splash out on heavier bullets make sure you have the right twist in your 243. Many 243 's have a 1 : 12 twist which generally is too slow to stabalize the 95 to 105 gr heads - ideally you should have a faster twist such as 1 : 10

Hello All,

I'm looking for a .243 round for roe stalking and possibly red hinds next winter. I don't load my own and I'm currently using Hornady 58gn V-max's for fox with good effect.

I've allways got on with Hornady ammo and would like to stick with it. Also my local supplier stocks a big range of their loads.

I'm drawn to the 95gnn SST's for the flatter trajectory but I guess they won't have the knock down effect of the Interlocks? I'm also assuming they produce enough energy to make them deer legal?

Any advice appreciated.

WR

Most .243" rifles stabilise anything up to 95 grns. Your slaveish following of Hornady might be a bad move My current .243 wont shoot SST untill its pushed to well over normal operating pressures yet does great with other such 95 grn fodder. My recomendation for Roe is the Nosler 95 grn solid base balistic tip (it is my also favourite fox and roe bullet btw). For Red the 95 or 100 grn partition (depending which side of the border you are shooting) Dont expect the same accuracy with this bullet (it is passable and infantatly useable - but balanced bullets cannot compete with single core stuff) The 95 will out shoot the 100 in 9 out of ten rifles. For both Roe and Red the best compromise is the 100 grn Seirra pro-hunter. Of course the B/Tip will do it but you need to consider placement with any 6mm bullet on the Larger deer

Thanks for all the advice lads, It's good to know the twist rate aswell. The lad I spoke to at Sportsman didn't know and never rang me back!!

Looks like I need to try a bigger selection and go from there. I definatley fancy something around 85-95gn but we'll see what comes out best. I was concious of shooting something as large as a red hind with less than 100gn incase it lacked the necessary knock down power.

My bias towards Hornady was simply down to my fox load. First load I tried and it shoots 15mm groups at 100 yds. Needless to say I left it at that!

Best Wishes

WR.

Thanks for all the advice lads, It's good to know the twist rate aswell. The lad I spoke to at Sportsman didn't know and never rang me back!!

Looks like I need to try a bigger selection and go from there. I definatley fancy something around 85-95gn but we'll see what comes out best. I was concious of shooting something as large as a red hind with less than 100gn incase it lacked the necessary knock down power.

My bias towards Hornady was simply down to my fox load. First load I tried and it shoots 15mm groups at 100 yds. Needless to say I left it at that!

Best Wishes

WR.

The most important factor in any 6mm is bullet constuction. Weight unfortunatly is but a loose guide to intended purpose. The .243 has been talked down by many as it realy does require a good knoledge of Bullet design and expected terminal performance to get the best from it. Athough i have owned one for many years i hated it for a period until i realy understood this all important factor, today i don't think i will ever be without one :good:

All said and done if a Bullet performs 1 1/2" groups at 100yds it is fit for purpose for 95% of Deer work and should always be selected over one that bugholes yet offers poorer terminals on large heavy quarry like Red deer

Before you splash out on heavier bullets make sure you have the right twist in your 243. Many 243 's have a 1 : 12 twist which generally is too slow to stabalize the 95 to 105 gr heads - ideally you should have a faster twist such as 1 : 10

there are no factory built rifles with a 12 twist apart from a Cooper

100 grn will do the job on Reds :good:

Don't get too worried about tight groups if you are chest shooting Red deer. If you can hit a beer mat, in fact if truth be told, if you can hit a dinner plate at your intended range, then you are good to go.

not really very good advice mate,we all owe it to what ever were shooting at to be able to accuratly place a shot in the vitals,I suspose a "beer mat" at 100 yards will be Ok BUT not a dinner plate,you may hit the lungs and the beast will run,yes it will eventually fall over and die but how long it runs is the problem

The 95SST is a very good bullet, works very well :)

I tried these in a 243 when they first came out years ago on Sika in Ireland,I wasnt impressed the jacket seperated from the core,but saying that they may have improoved

I dont use any other bullet now on deer apart from something "bonded" as they retain there weight and do very little meat damage

Edited by Ackley

I tried them a couple of rifles back, maybe 2 years? Worked a treat on roe, relatively low level of damage but certainly sufficient.

as i said the bullet make up may have changed as a mate also had the same problem on roe with his 308 they where passing straight through,change to interbonds never had another runner

I use interbonds in all the rifles I relaod for now,yes they may cost a little more per box but boy are they worth it,I shot a Fallow Sunday morning in the chest,knocked it flat all 4 legs in the air,apart from a small entry hole no damage all at,Iam a great beleiver in using the correct bullet as the results speak for themself

as i said the bullet make up may have changed as a mate also had the same problem on roe with his 308 they where passing straight through,change to interbonds never had another runner

I use interbonds in all the rifles I relaod for now,yes they may cost a little more per box but boy are they worth it,I shot a Fallow Sunday morning in the chest,knocked it flat all 4 legs in the air,apart from a small entry hole no damage all at,Iam a great beleiver in using the correct bullet as the results speak for themself

I'm going on a shopping trip this weekend for various loads and brands.

Do you know if interbond bullets are available as a factory load? I will search them out and try them if they are?

Regards

WR

I'm going on a shopping trip this weekend for various loads and brands.

Do you know if interbond bullets are available as a factory load? I will search them out and try them if they are?

Regards

WR

dont look like it http://www.hornady.com/store/243-Win/

I would look at the 80gr or if your rifle will shoot the 100gr interlock

Edited by Ackley

I always understood that Scottish reds had to have a min of 100grns, no?

I had alot of joy with Hornady 100grn Inter's on the hinds out to 200yds out of a Wheatherby vanguard. Just expect them to trot off a short distance before toppling.

The Remmy I had before that using the same bullet would turn it into a varmint bullet and very near cut some roe in half. I got bullet failure after failer from that barrel but perfect performance from the vaguard!

I use to use Speer 70grn TNT for fox and roe to good effect.

My powder of choice was a case full of H4350 and would still be if,,,,,

U

Edited by Underdog

I always understood that Scottish reds had to have a min of 100grns, no?

Quite true BUT some people use what performs best in there rifle,a bit like using match bullets on deer :P if you have a 243 that wont shoot 100gr what is one going to do

Edited by Ackley

My 243 (T3) 1 in 10 twist varmint loves RWS Gecco SP at 105gr. They are very accurate, sub 1" at 100 meters and down all the Deer species. To top it of they are quite cheap (£18 a box)to buy as well. Give them a try you never know your rifle might like them too. I don't use anything else now. :good:

Edited by Blunderbust