howa 1500

bi9johnny

hi guys anyone use one of these in 223 or 243 and what do you think of them.....had hold of one in gun shop yesterday and quite liked the feel of it....... am looking to off load some shotguns or maybe a swap if anyone got a rifle going spare

pm me if anyone got a trade to do please

Looking at getting one myself in .243 just waiting for my ticket to drop through the letter box.

They are a Wetherby Vanguard actions so no probs with them, and they are about the best package about for the money approx £850 for rifle, mod, scope, rings, bipod.

Jon Snowden of Greenlee has just done a small review of them in Sporting Gun or Sporting Shooter (Cant remember which one).

Its rated as a very good out of the box product.

As I said im getting one in 243 so will put an update on when I get it.

Paul

my mate has just bought one in .223 and i was impressed. 55gr ppu was a 1" 5 shot group at at 100yards. i am tempted to buy one in 6.5x55 when my ticket comes, which shouldn't be far away (fingers crossed). i posted a thread on here a week or so ago about his howa :good:

Edited by aister

Hi,

I use a Howa 1500 in .243. Well built and a nice smooth action. Like has been said they do offer good value for money. I find mine is a little short in the stock but it is only i minor point.

I bought mine as a package with a wildcat mod and a Zeiss Duralyt 3-12x50 scope. It also came with one of those Flambeau cases which i dont particularly like, i'd rather use a slip but thats a personal choice.

The only thing i would say is that the scope rings were not very good quality IMO and i could see them having an effect on accuracy so i invested in an American 1 piece mount from Game Reaper. These are machined from one solid billet of aluminium. They are quality bits of kit and simply screw directly onto the receiver of the rifle as opposed to the weaver rail that came supplied with the rifle. They are a little cheaper than opti-locks but still cost £80 but they really are worth it.

The rifle on a whole is very good value for the money and i would agree with Gnome of the Woods as mine does'nt particularly like 100gr rounds or certainly the ones i've tried so far. Hope this helps :good:

ATB,

Pat

I have the below Howa 1500 in .223. I have had it just under a year and haven't got a great deal of use, however, I am very happy with it. The thing that attracted me to the Howa was the fact that you could tailor it to your own needs (I liked the Thumbhole) and also the fact that it is very reasonably priced.

PICT0357.jpg

thanks for all the reply's guy's i think i've set my mind on a pair in black synthetic of 223 and 243... the thing that got me was valley arms in ruthin was 650 each and place in lancs was 495 each saving me 310 on the pair , could not believe the price difference

thanks again

john