Christened the 6.5x55

bunny_blaster

I drove down to dorset last weekend to pick up a Tikka 695 deluxe in 6.5x55 i had put a deposit on. My mate has lent me a schmidt 6x42 for the time being until i get a scope of my own so went down the farm during the week to get it zero'd. It shot reasonably well with 156gr PPU so decided i would go down to a big wood i have the stalking in and wait in the high seat for a deer. After 30 mins i gave the buttolo a few bleeps and a Muntjac buck appeared about 20 yards infront of me. It caught me by suprise so all i could do was just watch it untill it scurried off. Another hour passed with just the barking of a few Muntjac around the wood when another munty buck appeared about 70 yards to my right down the ride. This time i got the rifle round but he was on the edge of the ride by now and about to dissapear, a quick "OI" stopped him just long enough for me to squeeze a shot off. This is the result, the first of many for the 6.5 i hope.

Cheers

Ben

mod012.jpg

I've got an unmoderated Varberger 6.5, and never found recoil to be a problem. It's quite a heavy rifle though, so that probably helps soak up a fair bit. As mentioned on another post, I've only put 120gn bullets through it, so I'll see what it's like on heavier ammunition.

I had an ATEC CMM4 on a previous rifle - it weighed about 240 grams and didn't affect the balance. Some people have had problems with gas cutting, as its aluminium, but I never put that many rounds through it in quick succession, and it was fine. Before that, I had a Northstar which was effective but heavy.

poor things got no legslol

cracking looking gun and a top first outing well done. do you bump into a lot your end im not to far from you

bet its got a crack to it :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ive got a lot of Roe and Muntjac on my ground. Also get the occasional Fallow passing through.

I will have the rifle moderated but it needs to be screw cut first, i will also get it chopped down 2 inches

Cheers

Ben