Pheasant Pen Material

We are about to build a new release pen. In the past we have used 31mm galvanised wire netting for the bottom half of the pen and 50mm for the top half. For the new pen, we are thinking of using plastic netting for the top half, but keeping the wire mesh at the bottom.

We're not trying to cut costs, and the prices are similar anyway, we just want to make the pen last as long as possible.

Has anyone used the plastic mesh, or have any experience of it?

We did it last year on our main release pen, we took all the old top wire off, went round with 6' plastic netting, then over that with 25mm galv mesh 2' up / 1' out. As scully said if you have a clear run it's easy to use. We did our small release pen with 4' plastic mesh and cable tied it to the existing bottom mesh but I think the 6' with mesh over the top was better. A determined fox will chew through it as 60 of our french partridge found out the hard way, but there was no steel mesh on and no electric as there is on the release pens. Won't rust and it's a lot lighter, I'd use it again.

Steve

I inherited a release pen with plastic netting when I took over my shoot about 10 years ago. It was newly built and looked

OK.

One night we had a branch blow off a tree and rip a very neat hole in the netting from top to bottom.

Luckily this was two weeks before my poults were due so I had time to replace with galvanised steel.

I have also heard, as above, of foxes chewing through plastic netting.

For those reasons I will never use plastic.

How have you attached the plastic mesh to the posts? I assume fencing staples as you would with wire mesh?

We run 3 strands of plain wire round the pen. One at the top, one at the bottom and one at the height of the chicken wire, then hog ring to the plain wire.

We are about to build a new release pen. In the past we have used 31mm galvanised wire netting for the bottom half of the pen and 50mm for the top half. For the new pen, we are thinking of using plastic netting for the top half, but keeping the wire mesh at the bottom.

We're not trying to cut costs, and the prices are similar anyway, we just want to make the pen last as long as possible.

Has anyone used the plastic mesh, or have any experience of it?

One of ours is made this way and has been up about 5 yrs , no probs

• 2 weeks later...

Been working with a keeper recently (work experience placement) all 6 pens are made from 25mm hex mesh wire rabbit netting on the bottom with plastic 50mm black netting on the top, he likes it, works very well, easier to put up and maintain, also the black colour blends in quite well. Fencing staples and hog rings to secure to straining wire , happy days :)

But then its down to own prefernce really.

The problem with big mesh wire netting is that 5 years in the wire starts to break, if you dont spot each break at bird level you may have a problem with birds getting out or charlie getting in. I have seen a BIG fox get through a hole no more the 60mm wide and maybe 200mm long between my catching and decoy compartments in a Larsen. This fox was one of the largest I have ever shot.

Use high quality galvanised rabbit netting fro the bottom, british made, not the cheap chinese made ****. Upper row really you can use bigger mesh.

A

Edited by Alycidon

• 4 weeks later...

I have used several kilometres of this netting on my pens.

Bottom mesh is 31mm x 1050mm x 18g often called rabbit netting. Use proper BS stuff. Costs more now but lasts much longer.

3 foot x 1"" and 4 foot by 1" can be significantly more expensive then rabbit netting dimensions due to volume of production.

For the top mesh I recommend "Jumbo Game Net" which is a 50mm extruded plastic mesh. I have used the smaller mesh sizes but find it less robust, prone to tearing in the wind and in the two hard winters prone to frost/snow cling which also pulled it free of the hog rings and staples.

I had very few problems with the Jumbo net and it is very strong, rot free and light and easy to work with. CL22 or Gordian clips and 20mm netting staples work very well but overbattening on to the posts is better still.

Hog ring at about every 9" to top straining wire and to joint with rabbit net, also with straining wire and overlap 2 meshes. Mid strainer helps and hog ring every 24" does the job there.

I have used this mesh for over 10 years and the Jumbo mesh is still absolutely sound and some of the original Sentinel BS rabbit netting has rotted off before we have had a problem with the Jumbo net.

I set the posts, add a 2mm straining wire at 750mm, for the top of the rabbit netting and bottom of the plastic netting, a top wire at about 1.750m which allows a small "floppy" top overhang and also a mid wire at 1.250m. A length of tilers batten with notches set at these heights will make for a massive time saving and a tidier pen. Simply sit the wires in the notches and staple them to each post.

I fit the plastic first then the rabbit mesh second so it covers the bottom edge so pokey noses pushing upover don't find the edge and you dont snag the plastic ends as you walk your pens. It will scratch and can cut.