question????

Yes I read the above post and dismissed it. A decent set of balance scales produces consistent results - ok, if you are running safe loads then the result is not critical - but when running hot loads the results are critical - when I started reloading I used to double weigh - then I bought some better scales - now I know that the weight will be correct.

Just as an aside, I loaded 200 hundred 308 rounds last, no I did not double weigh them all - but every now and then I did out if curiosity take the pan off the scale - tap it, shake it, move the load to one end - guess what? yep you have guessed it - it weighed exactly the same when it went back on the scale.

Maybe it is because I know how to read and use my scale correctly? maybe because I look after it, keep it dust free? or maybe just luck? hmm - no it is because a decent set of beam scales for reloading is designed to be consistent and accurate.

Mike

Yep, can't fault that.

Now, weigh 12.3 gr gently trickling in to the mark. I said remove/lift the tray which is what I do but a tap can achieve the same objective. What is it reading now? I haven't a clue about 308 loading but notice tha 45gr is somewhere about the mark. A 0.1gr error I would imagine may go unnoticed with no adverse effect but at the 12 gr or less level, that's not always the case.

Should there be no change, please would you post your scales manufacturer and model name as I have shortly to help someone get set up with regards to kit and the info. would be appreciated?

what load are you loading 35gr?

No, a lazy 45 biased for accuracy.

If you still have a problem, I'd say pay attention to Fister's post. Make sure the scales are horizontal laterally so that both ends of the beam fulcrum are sharing the load. If all fails it probably is a replacement job. If this is the case there is a temporary 'fix' which is really a bodge but may make life easier until you get things sorted. With a sharp HB or softer pencil draw quickly twice - no more - along the scale body fulcrum pivot 'V'. The graphite is an excellent dry film lubricant but it is emphasised that this is a temporary bodge fix.

Yep, can't fault that.

Now, weigh 12.3 gr gently trickling in to the mark. I said remove/lift the tray which is what I do but a tap can achieve the same objective. What is it reading now? I haven't a clue about 308 loading but notice tha 45gr is somewhere about the mark. A 0.1gr error I would imagine may go unnoticed with no adverse effect but at the 12 gr or less level, that's not always the case.

Should there be no change, please would you post your scales manufacturer and model name as I have shortly to help someone get set up with regards to kit and the info. would be appreciated?

Hi

You didn't say which powder? (Or if you did I missed it, sorry)

So I just tried this with H322, Benchmark and Varget - 12.3 grains - removed and tapped - no change on Either my 505's or my Redding Model No 2. Plonked on to my RCBS digital scales and 12.3 grains. Back on to both balance scales - still showing 12.3. Tip it to one end of the pan - still 12.3. (I did tip a bit out on one occasion - but that was my fault!!)

I note you say trickled - are you using an electronic or manual trickler?

I Chrono my loads, and am looking for the ultimate accuracy from them (An annoying quest!)

Hi

You didn't say which powder? (Or if you did I missed it, sorry)

So I just tried this with H322, Benchmark and Varget - 12.3 grains - removed and tapped - no change on Either my 505's or my Redding Model No 2. Plonked on to my RCBS digital scales and 12.3 grains. Back on to both balance scales - still showing 12.3. Tip it to one end of the pan - still 12.3. (I did tip a bit out on one occasion - but that was my fault!!)

I note you say trickled - are you using an electronic or manual trickler?

I Chrono my loads, and am looking for the ultimate accuracy from them (An annoying quest!)

Lil'Gun

Is the 505 by RCBS? I know little about the range available as I've never had to buy a set and I don't want to waste any of matey's money. My scales are 505 by Ohaus and they look remarkably similar. As far as I can find out, there are no Ohaus ones currently in production so was tempted to go for the RCBS. Having used mine for ever, I can tolerate its little foibles on sentimental grounds if nothing else although it would be handy finding out if the agate bearers were the same so if necessary eventually they could be replaced.

You're not going to believe this, but I've just found out what my trickler is. No doubt someone will know the reference as for over 60 years that I can account for we've had some tea spoons with an old bearded man in a robe on the end of the handle. There's less spoons now but the handle quantity is the same as they have been utilised as handles for the powder dippers. I've just had a really close look with the aid of my old engineers' glass at the dipper bowls to which Father soldered the spoon handles and they are a range of various sized, both in manufactured diameter and lengths cut down by Father to suit given weights, vehicle bulbs - the metal base portions - I can just make out the wattage/volt figures. I just scoop the powder up, pour some in the tray until we're getting close then just gently tap the dipper until the required weight is met. With practice (I've had plenty) it is quite possible to dispense one or two individual grains at a time. I'm retired and in no hurry so this suits me and these same tools were used to load 2" 12 bore cartridges that one particular homeloader (clue there for the oldies) reckoned were the best he'd ever seen/shot.

I can't imagine that anyone would be critical of any re-loader actually chrono'ing his work.

good answer, but when you way it on scales you still have the variable. depending on how the powder is settled in the scale pan. i tried it yesterday. i weighed a charge to what i was loading. then i taped the pan on the table a couple of times and weighed it again, it was different.

i was expecting a few more replies from the pw reloading experts. but since Ackley has been banned there names have stopped appearing in this section.

:lol: oh dear....didn't know that...wondered why the bull had stopped! :lol:

There must be a cheap computer for sale in yorkshire as that must be the last in a line of shooting related forums he was already banned from for spouting...

Edited by gixer1

good answer, but when you way it on scales you still have the variable. depending on how the powder is settled in the scale pan. i tried it yesterday. i weighed a charge to what i was loading. then i taped the pan on the table a couple of times and weighed it again, it was different.

Just out of interest why do you tap the pan at all when you are going to dump the charge into a case?

Once again tapping the pan cannot make the charge lighter or heavier unless it has been added to or reduced, its a physical impossibility.

Therefore the fault must be in the scales or the operator.

Ian.

Edited by Vermincinerator

Early RCBS 505 scales were made by Ohaus as were Lyman scales.

505 scales from RCBS are the same as the Ohaus.

I use an early RCBS 10-10 which is also made by Ohaus and second only to a Dial-O-Grain.

Ian.

Ian,

Magic, nice one! The 505 it'll be and hopefully with spare fulcrum blocks for mine. Many thanks.

Phil

You're not going to believe this, but I've just found out what my trickler is. No doubt someone will know the reference as for over 60 years that I can account for we've had some tea spoons with an old bearded man in a robe on the end of the handle.

Apostle spoons?

I think one point has been made on here which could do with a bit more airing. Beam scales are not the easiest of things to understand how to use and there must be quite a few people out there using them incorrectly. Or you can jog them when lifting out the pan and unintentionally move the little weights.

If you take your measured load to the moon it will read differently. :yes: If your scales are set up properly you can do what you like with the powder in the pan and as the pan has the same suspension point, a 50grn load will still weigh 50 grns. :yes::yes::yes: