Ferrets

spanielchris

Hi people! I'm thinking of getting a ferret. Just after a bit more info before committing to buy one.

How easy are they to keep?? Eg do there hutches need cleaning every day??

Male or female????? Better in pairs??? I have plenty of land to work them on so that is not a problem. How easy are they to work??? Any info would be great. Many thanks.

OK Ferrets are best kept together so two would be best unless you can spend lots of time with them, they need to be fed every day and it is best to handle them as much as possible. There Hutch needs to be as big as you can get away with. As for cleaning out if you Poo pick everyday and give it a good clean once a week you will not go far wrong. Don’t feed cow’s milk and only the odd raw egg. Other than that the eat what you hunt feathers fur and all.

they only smell(bad)if you dont like the smell,the smell never bothers me...hob or gill,up to you mate,this could get a bit lengthy,as some prefer hobs and others prefer jills,ive been working ferrets for nigh on 30 years and always used jills,but thats just my preferance,good luck with whatever you get,oh and get reading some good ferret books and you cant go wrong mate... :good:

DAZ

all good advice above ,another thing considering is to contact your local ferret rescue theres one in most areas google ferret welfare socity there useally got loads of nice ferrets and the bonus being they will be neatured etc witch really is a bonus if your new to ferreting they usally want a donation about £10 each ,if nothing else go have a look and a chat there useally very into there ferrets and most work there own so give you some pointers for wot you want to do with them

as for the "smell" not that bad if there cared for well i even bath (old washing up bowl) mine in the summer they seem to like it

Hi people! I'm thinking of getting a ferret. Just after a bit more info before committing to buy one.

Male or female????? Better in pairs??? I have plenty of land to work them on so that is not a problem. How easy are they to work??? Any info would be great. Many thanks.

hi mate if you are after a few ferrets i have bred mine this year and will have some to give away this summer so if you want some just let me know as i only live Clapham Bedford

if you want to come see them any time let me know

colin

Edited by colin lad

All good infomation above as to which one to get hob/jill every one that works them will give you there opinion as to which is best for THEM. For me I only work hobs as for me they take less looking after no season, jill jab neutered etc. I find a hob does a better job when the rabbit just refuses to bolt, my hobs will kill the rabbit down the hole 99% of the time and will malways walk away from it once its dead. As for the looking after part they realy are not that hard at all, I keep my two hobs seperate as my albino ferret will kill anything that is near him be it a ferret or rabbit (just the way he is) perfect to handle and I only feed them once a week by putting a whole rabbit in each cage during the colder months and then half a rabbit in each cage twice a week during the warmer months.As for cleaning out mine get there **** corner cleaned every other day and the cage itself once a week. Mine dont get handled a great deal when Im not using them maybe twice a week at most and they have never bit or even tried to bite me even if my hand is covered in rabbits blood they still wont bite me so for a working ferret thats all you can ask of them.

My advice would be go online or at the next game fair you go to, buy your self a good book on looking after ferrets and working ferrets. All the questions you ask on here and get an answer to will not cover what you should and need to know. THE FERRET & FERRETING HANDBOOK BY JAMES McKAY, is not a bad book

Edited by Actionpigeons