Standing shots

Hi everyone, I will start by saying I am not a bad shot prone or sitting but try as I might I really struggle to shoot with any real consistency from the standing position. Does anyone have any tips or ideas to help me on my way ? :)

rifle or shotgun?

the prone position is a rifle discipline so I would say he's refering to rifle shooting.

I would like to try shooting a shotgun in the prone position :-(

Air rifle at the min am applying for sgc and fac. Just playing the waiting game lol. Thanks for the reply. :)

beaten too it.

are you using a springer or pcp?

"Sticks!"

Well said that man!

Shooting sticks & mucho practise.My standing/offhand shooting accuracy is poor so I use anything I can: gates,fence posts etc or shooting sticks.I still try to shoot sitting/kneeling/prone wherever practical.

Depends where you are shooting from . Sticks are a good aid if you can get along with them ,I hate them and have never been able to use them successfully ,also some thing else to carry round with you . You could try leaning on a hedge or leaning up against a tree . I will often wrap my arm around a sapling and pull the rifle into my shoulder and take a shot . I use these methods both with a .22 rim fire and my .308 stalking rifle . A wind blown tree makes a good shooting support ,so will your shooting buddies shoulder . Hooking your bipod over a wire fence will give you good support . I have rested on tractor wheels ,the bonnet of my truck or any thing that I can rest against .

I I have rested on straw bales ,bags of fertilizer a stack of bricks ,a pile of iirrigation pipes the list is endless .

Harnser .

Edited by Harnser

Breathing and speed. Off-hand is unstable, the longer you hold the stance hoping to tame the wobbles the more you tire and the worse the wobbles get. I shoot off-hand only when a shot is encountered unexpectedly and its a case of take it or lose it. Bring the rifle up, lean into the shot, one breath exhale steadily and fire. Don't mess about.

so its back to basics with my field craft and think a bit more about my shots and not just where the quarry is, lots of practice and maybe try sticks to see if i can get on with them. thanks for that i did think i was in for a bit of a ribbing tho lol it seems so simple to shoot standing up or off hand but it just isnt for me ;(

so its back to basics with my field craft and think a bit more about my shots and not just where the quarry is, lots of practice and maybe try sticks to see if i can get on with them. thanks for that i did think i was in for a bit of a ribbing tho lol it seems so simple to shoot standing up or off hand but it just isnt for me ;(

All ways but allways take the shot from a rested postion if possible .

Harnser .

Depends where you are shooting from . Sticks are a good aid if you can get along with them ,I hate them and have never been able to use them successfully ,also some thing else to carry round with you . You could try leaning on a hedge or leaning up against a tree . I will often wrap my arm around a sapling and pull the rifle into my shoulder and take a shot . I use these methods both with a .22 rim fire and my .308 stalking rifle . A wind blown tree makes a good shooting support ,so will your shooting buddies shoulder . Hooking your bipod over a wire fence will give you good support . I have rested on tractor wheels ,the bonnet of my truck or any thing that I can rest against .

I I have rested on straw bales ,bags of fertilizer a stack of bricks ,a pile of iirrigation pipes the list is endless .

Harnser .

not having a dig Harnser but wouldn,t that make your shooting buddy jump shooting a 308 of his shoulder

colin

not having a dig Harnser but wouldn,t that make your shooting buddy jump shooting a 308 of his shoulder

colin

Its surprising how little you hear. i do this when foxing on open ground with a friend. his 223 mods first shot it loud and flashes, i dont notice any of this when its on my shoulder. i wouldnt do this to an unmoderated rifle though.

Practise is generally the way to go about it. Where possible you should make use of a rest, such as stick or something fixed, such as a fence, bale, tree etc.

As with any position in rifle shooting, there are ways of holding the gun so that it's supported in the right ways without using your muscles to hold it in place, and to use a sling to pull it in to the correct place tightly. Sadly the only real way to learn this is to be shown it.

Practise is generally the way to go about it. Where possible you should make use of a rest, such as stick or something fixed, such as a fence, bale, tree etc.

As with any position in rifle shooting, there are ways of holding the gun so that it's supported in the right ways without using your muscles to hold it in place, and to use a sling to pull it in to the correct place tightly. Sadly the only real way to learn this is to be shown it.

I have seen that target shooters use a hand support I think it's called a hamster. I am not really the type of person to run out and buy any Lil gimmick but if people think it will help I will look into one. I have got a sling but the clips I have for it arnt very good I may be worth having a look at some better ones too. :)

What works for me. As said, practise as much as you can but I try to make the shot quickly. I try to get the shot done in the time it takes to say "spot, acquire, fire". I normally use a 22 rimmie. So, spot the rabbit. Bring the cross hairs on to the head and fire. If I wait any longer then it starts to wander. It's also easy to practise on static targets. As I say, works for me.

The other thing I've found helps is once you've taken the shot just relax and see where the gun naturally wants to point. If it's not on the target then it means you were using muscles to hold it on line. I think it's better to be virtually on target with no additional effort, so move your feet.