Pheasant shooting

dan17

Evening all i have been offered a space on a local syndicate pheasant shoot, i have had experience beating and picking up but dont know the do's and dont's of being a gun, any advice on guns ammo and clothing will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance Dan

Okay ill speak to the shoot captain and see what he says. What is the best cartridge and choke to use . Thanks again Dan :thanks:

Shoot a cartridge that your used to and as for chokes shoot what your comfortable with :good:

All i use is 1/4 x 1/2 ;)

Moleskins and green coat, with a shirt and maybe tie? should see you right an all but the poshest shoots. As for cartridges any 30g+ of 6's will be fine. Personally i like to use 32g 5's as i feel more confident with them, especially if the birds can be quite high.

Don't panic as you have loads of time :good:

cheers for all the advice i have spoken to the shoot captian and organised a walk about and a chat down the pub it seems to be a family run shoot which was what i was looking for all i need to do now is get some practice in on the clays :) ps i have just found out they have a large inland pond which can attract allot of ducks, i know i need to use non toxic shot in my local harbour but do i need to use it inland on ducks i had a look and BASC and they said i do but i thought it was only on the foreshore :unsure:

Edited by dan17

• 2 weeks later...

speak to the shoot captain definitely.

as for ammo, 30gram 6's will do the trick, good all round cartridge.

whatever happens don't run out of cartridges, not just embarrassing for you, but an insult to the shoot captain. There is a famous old story about a chap who ran out of cartridges before lunch, and the shoot captain told him to go home, because he had clearly had more shooting than he was expecting!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

cheers for all the advice have just my membership pack through the post so lots of rules to read. are 32g no5 steel shot any good i have heard from some local wildfowlers that steel doesnt kill as good as lead and i want clean kills on pheasents/partridge

cheers for all the advice have just my membership pack through the post so lots of rules to read. are 32g no5 steel shot any good i have heard from some local wildfowlers that steel doesnt kill as good as lead and i want clean kills on pheasents/partridge

Why would you be using steel rather than lead on game birds?

You want to carry lead shells for all the pheasant drives, and non toxic for the duck pond. The rule of thumb for steel shot is go up 2 sizes, so if you are using 6's in lead go to 4's in steel. I think that as long as you stick to 32g of 4's you will be ok with your gun even if it is not steel proofed as long as it is good condition. Have a look on the Gamebore site for more info.

http://www.gamebore.com/products/33/12g-game-wetland-steel

my gun is steel proofed. it seemed easier and cheaper to use steel as my local stockist sells them for £5 a box of 25 for steel but about £7 pound for lead and then i dont have to worry about swapping cartridges if a duck comes over

my gun is steel proofed. it seemed easier and cheaper to use steel as my local stockist sells them for £5 a box of 25 for steel but about £7 pound for lead and then i dont have to worry about swapping cartridges if a duck comes over

problem with steels is if you are amongst trees there is a higher chance of ricochet and it does lack in knockdown power compared to lead. Steels also pattern tighter than lead so remember to use more open chokes if you decide to go down the steel route. :good:

• 2 weeks later...