Locking Wheelnuts

welshwarrior

Some fool at the tyre shop has tightned my locking wheel nut up with an air gun and rounded of the faces.

Anyone got any good suggestions how I can get it off? I tried a halfords universal locking wheel nut remover but it did not fit my nuts.

If you have some old 1/2 inch drive sockets that your not to worried about find one the right size and hammer it on the locking nut. use an old extension bar as well so you don't damage the square drive. done this loads of times on scrap cars.

dave

ps Not that that your car is scrap but with a bit of care it will be fine with no damage to the car only the socket and wheel nut witch is no good anyway.

Edited by Harryco

The garage I used to work at had some sockets that you buy for a few quid with about 3/8" deep thread on. U tap them on with a hammer and then as u strong arm them on they bite into the wheel nut and because of the thread they gradually work there way down the locking wheel nut, once you have tightened it the full way down it has made a good grip it bottoms out and then starts to bite on the wheelnut, take it off and over to the vice and screw it the other way to get it off. Locking wheel nut will be knackerd but job will be done.

Hope you understand my vague description, clear as mud

Hey mate all depends really some locking wheel nuts have spinning collars making irwins and such removers useless. If ya can hammer a socket on all good if turtle have collars its welding time.

But if I were you I'd get back to the numptys that done it

I'd love to take it back but it's 4 hrs drive home and it have a flat. Browning they are like the ones I tried but once the spinning collar came off the head where then to small.

Oh well it will have to go to the main dealer and the fool can pick up the bill. Just glad it happened to me on the farm not the wife and baby on the motorway!!!

You need someone with the right gear if you have the type with spinning collar."Dynomec":not cheap but effective,AFAIK issued to AA patrols

failing that it is possible to mig weld collar to stud & then use extractor.

Same thing happened to myt lads car...all four :o The studs are usually pretty soft, so if you have a reasonable drill and bits...centre pop the stud and drill a pilot, then go up in two stages until you cut throught the thread on the nut. Of course you will then need another stud, but they aren't expensive. It took us 1/2 and hour to do all four.

Might be worth checking the other wheels. Locking wheel nuts are a pain in the butt :yes:

Had all the others off ok as had a flap Audi say the are hardened so I'll try a kit I have to remove snapped bolts drill pilot hole the insert a left hand threaded sled tapping screw that then bites and undoes the stud if that fails the drilling look an option cheers turbo

Hey mate all depends really some locking wheel nuts have spinning collars making irwins and such removers useless. If ya can hammer a socket on all good if turtle have collars its welding time.

But if I were you I'd get back to the numptys that done it

I had the spinning collar type locking nuts on my frontera,i tried all sorts, :no: ended up hammering a cold chisel onto collar to peel it back as its quiet soft metal,then i borrowed a socket lock remover from local 4x4 garage and hammered it on till it had a bite and levered it off with my breaker bar,job done :good: ,it did take a morning to get all 4 off and i hit my thumb twice :shout: and dented one of the wheels :oops: ,cost me a tenner to borrow socket and £30 for new locking nuts.

Had all the others off ok as had a flap Audi say the are hardened so I'll try a kit I have to remove snapped bolts drill pilot hole the insert a left hand threaded sled tapping screw that then bites and undoes the stud if that fails the drilling look an option cheers turbo

I know the kit you mean. I have found them pretty useless to be honest. The extractor is too brittle and usually snaps off if there is any reasonable force. Don't forget you are trying to reverse the torque of a wheel gun!! Then you have another problem with that in the way of you drilling out the stud :o I wouldn't take too much notice of Audi saying they're hardened. Most garages haven't a clue as you have found out. If you're going to drill a hole for the stud extractor, you might as well just go another 5 mins with a couple more drill bits. It will take you 15 mins tops :yes:

Best of luck :good:

Edited by turbo33

Here you go, but drill slower than these guys, with a bit of weight behind the drill (that lunch should do it :lol: )Sharp drill bits and plenty of oil :good: With the wheel off, you can just tap out the old stud. Pop the new one in and pull it into place with a wheel nut.

Edited by turbo33

Thanks for all the help guys it took me an hour and a bit and blunted 4 good quality drill bits, I guess it was hardened then!!!!

Well all done changed to wheel got a new set of locking wheel nuts and tyre was repaired thank god did not want to buy another one at £324 a time.