Rabbit shooting tips and techniques

jgguinness

Hi all.

Well after getting my .22lr I was tiching to get a few rabbits so I had a look out last night on my own. I used a Cree adjustable beem 1600 lumen torch attached to the rifle. I know there are plenty of rabbits on the farm as everyone else bags a few, but last night I had limited luck.

Parked up and had a walk about, started around 10pm. Saw a few on a hillside but as soon as I got in range they vanished. Walked to another field where I have seen plenty (and shot a few whilst out with others from a vehicle) but again nothing.

Tried another spot, but again drew a blank.

•  
  • Could it be because I was walking around and not from the vehicle?
  • Could it have been me making too much noise when walking?
  • Should I just stay in one spot and wait?

Any pointers would be of great assistance.

Kind regards

Jonathan

Ha yeah I found that by the time I got set up, the ******* had gone!

I have a 170 with amber filter that plugs into the ciggy lighter in the car but as you say, need someone else to work the light.

I think half the problem was I wear rigger boots and at just over 15 stone I must sound like bigfoot walking around at night!

Jonathan

It sounds like you could do with either a red or amber filter on your Cree Torch or you could do with a gun mounted lamp. I have both red and amber acetate sheets to make filters up and use them on my cree torch with my .22LR. If you want one of each PM me with the diameter of the lens on your cree torch and I will (FOC) send you one of each - If you want to take me up on this offer I will need your postal details.

As for wearing rigger boots, don't worry about it, just try to stay down wind of them and not try to get too close - You should be able to get to within a reasonable shooting distance of about 50 yards on a fairly windy and cloudy night without them doing a runner unless they are getting a bit lamp shy.

I personally would not bother going out with a lamp for rabbits if there is either a bright moon, no cloud cover or no wind!

Hope this helps

It sounds like you could do with either a red or amber filter on your Cree Torch or you could do with a gun mounted lamp. I have both red and amber acetate sheets to make filters up and use them on my cree torch with my .22LR. If you want one of each PM me with the diameter of the lens on your cree torch and I will (FOC) send you one of each - If you want to take me up on this offer I will need your postal details.

As for wearing rigger boots, don't worry about it, just try to stay down wind of them and not try to get too close - You should be able to get to within a reasonable shooting distance of about 50 yards on a fairly windy and cloudy night without them doing a runner unless they are getting a bit lamp shy.

I personally would not bother going out with a lamp for rabbits if there is either a bright moon, no cloud cover or no wind!

Hope this helps

Cheers for the reply mate. I will measure the lens when I get home tonight and let you know, very much appreciated.

When you say not going out if there is either a bright moon, no cloud or wind...can I ask why this is??

Cheers

Jonathan

Bunnies can be funny creatures. Some nights they are there and some nights there's nothing to be seen. The weather plays a role but I can think of plenty of occasions where I've looked over a field with binoculars when driving by without the rifle and seen a lot about, only to go back same time next day, same weather and see nothing.

Try a wander around the last hour before it gets dark that can be fruitful.

Rabbits are highly attuned to movement. If there's a moon they will see you. They are looking up at you from ground level and most of the time you present a silhouette. When you move it is very obvious to them. It is rarely dark enough to hide your movements. You still need field craft. Ideal conditions for lamping, or NV, are dark and cloudy with enough breeze to bend the grass. Plan your route too with regard to wind and scent. Weak human scent carried 300 yds across a field in daytime is normal and may not alarm rabbits. If they catch even a distant whiff of you at night, that is unusual and will make them highly alert.

There are other hazards at night which should be checked out in daylight. Ash trees are the worst for dropping snappy twigs. Walking up a hedge line full of overhanging ash trees is like walking on fire crackers. Old thorn trees covered in ivy are sure have pigeons roosting in them. If you put them up that's the rabbits gone.

If you've only just got your rimfire and have limited experience you'd do better to develope your field skills with dawn and dusk shooting before you go lamping, which requires as much field craft as daylight shooting with a few more difficulties thrown in. Lamping is another string to your bow but its not an easy option.

When you say not going out if there is either a bright moon, no cloud or wind...can I ask why this is??

Jonathan, Sorry for the late reply, i have only just noticed your question but I think Gimlet has answered the question just as well as I could have mate! What Gimlet has said is well worth bearing in mind.

Much of it is down to fieldcraft, something that you will pick up quite easily in time, especially if you follow the advice given on the many threads on this forum.

One thing that can give you some quite good sport through the summer (I personally don't bother much with lamping rabbits in the summer time) is to find a place to lie in wait and do some "sniping" with the young ones (As long as you are doing this as "vermin control rather than "pot filling") Ideally you need somewhere about 40 to 50 yards from the burrow with a moderated .22LR with a little cover for yourself (A patch of weeds or something similar) and a bit of a breeze blowing as near as possible straight into your face or from one side to the other. Allow the rabbits to come fairly out from the burrows, say 10 yards or so, and then shoot them. The young will often spend all or a summers evening running to and fro into and out of the burrow and offer some good sport. Even if they run back in when you shoot they will often be back out within 10 minutes if you are patient and still. Just leave the shot rabbits where they fall rather than trying to pick each one up as soon as you shoot it. You can sometimes get two or three shots off if the wind is right before the young ones realise that something is not right as they don't bother too much about seeing their siblings lying dead but if you try to recover them or move about they will spot you and stay below ground longer.

It might be worth a try for you mate.

This can be a very relaxing, enjoyable and productive way to spend a summer evening!

get yourself an NV monocular.

£50 on eBay and will transform your lamping.

you can scan a field for eyes. plot your route, get within 50 yds, check shot position, flick light on, "plop", flick light off, next one.

I have a bresser 5x50 Aldi special. 5x is a bit too high IMO 3 or 4x would be perfect for spotting but it is good for 200yds or so and on moolit nights I can see full body recognition not just eyes.

I shot one 2 nights ago, flicked light back on after a quick check for his mate with the NV, flicked the light back on and plopped the second one.

when I walked over one was lying on top of the other.

took me a while to figure out in the dark as I thought one had got away despite the impact noise!

Forget the gun lamp.

Hold lamp in your left hand and shoot with your other. Very simple and less faffy.

Stick a red filter on as well.

Other than that its just practice and experience, oh and the fact that we all have nights like that sometimes !

If theres a few people there shooting then the rabbits will be skittish anyway.

Keep the wind towards you and itl help a lot.